Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^I think it has almost certainly topped the 400' mark. 101 Federal is a ways in front of MT in this picture. Other perspectives show MT to be essentially neck and neck with 33 Arch's glass portion.

I was going down Memorial Drive and I'm pretty sure MT is now the same height as 33 Arch St so it's more likely this tower is around 460 ft.

Crane jump!! (Taken just now)

rcfIJEU.jpg

s/af104/ric02124/arch%20boston%202015/MTJ%203_zpslih9avgf.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I have a home office now, and only work when I feel like it (or need extra cash or just want to visit somewhere different!) Anyway, don't take as many pictures as I used to!

From different vantage points this weekend

World's End

Woburn

Quincy

Arlington

Watertown

Last edited:
I like how the podium or part with the different glass more or less meets the height of the buildings on franklin it satisfies the eye even though its subtle.

From this weekend

I think it is interesting how they have had the advertising banner up throughout the rise (website link and phone number on the yellow protection fences) -- very different than the recent rental buildings who waited for near completion.

Although now, I think it is a little useless, since it is so high you need a telephoto lens to see it.

That is probably why they put it up so early so that when the tower was shorter and you could still see the sign it was already up.

I like how the podium or part with the different glass more or less meets the height of the buildings on franklin it satisfies the eye even though its subtle.

This is a great observation and speaks to how you can contextually design a tower within low-mid rise urban fabric. It's certainly not a coincidence. It's moments like this that set Millennium Tower away from its glassy box counterparts in the midwest and south.

This is a great observation and speaks to how you can contextually design a tower within low-mid rise urban fabric. It's certainly not a coincidence. It's moments like this that set Millennium Tower away from its glassy box counterparts in the midwest and south.

I just got back from San Francisco and happened to look at the Millennium Tower there (built by the same developers) and this is miles ahead of it in terms of street activation and presence.

I just got back from San Francisco and happened to look at the Millennium Tower there (built by the same developers) and this is miles ahead of it in terms of street activation and presence.

Wow. You're right. It's abysmal. Millennium royally screwed SF.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.790...!1e1!3m2!1scbQwtA11-hB53p3kfRQ9ag!2e0!6m1!1e1

Mission @ Fremont:
ZzW3dhh.jpg

Fremont:
Uy0oGLD.jpg

Mission:
AG2dcll.jpg

Mission (better stretch with some retail, unknown if it's been filled since):
oJxOK6f.jpg

Mid-rise along Beale St:
WQFCMJw.jpg

Wow. You're right. It's abysmal. Millennium royally screwed SF.

Mission (better stretch with some retail, unknown if it's been filled since):
oJxOK6f.jpg

The mission side has a restaurant with a fairly uninspired menu (mainly focused on the business lunch crowd I think) and a bank. So there is very little activation there.

I realized this was completed in 2009, but it really is going to be considered a travesty once the sales force tower opens across the street and the trans bay transit center opens RIGHT NEXT DOOR.

In fairness, Millennium hasn't delivered much in terms of street activation of Avery Street at the Ritz towers. There has to be thousands and thousands of square feet of empty retail space on the ground floors of the Ritz development that has been empty for a decade now. Obviously the side of the street with the hotel has some activity but the other side of Avery is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back