Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's on the pricier side I guess, but hardly what I'd consider outrageous. I don't make a ton of money and wouldn't go there weekly, but would be a good date-night/special-occasion out.

It's on the pricier side I guess, but hardly what I'd consider outrageous. I don't make a ton of money and wouldn't go there weekly, but would be a good date-night/special-occasion out.
Agreed. I'm surprisingly not too shocked at the pricing. It's pretty reasonable for high quality food. A meal at Del Frisco's will actually set you back more.

MT restaurant announced...

The developers of the luxury Millennium Tower in Downtown Crossing have settled on a restaurant to serve the kind of residents who buy units selling for the millions and tens of millions of dollars — the first New England venture by chef Michael Mina and sushi chef Ken Tominaga.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...-the-kind-of-restaurant-you-put-in-a-new.html

Based on PABU SF it doesn't look too too pricey....

http://www.pabuizakaya.com/sf/menus/dinner/

Just as long as it doesn't replace the Corner Mall food court, I am okay with it.

37721106.jpg

(Sorry)

BostonInno has a nice write up on it...

According to a release, the lively izakaya and sushi bar concept dubbed PABU Boston, will be the second location of Mina and Tominaga’s acclaimed Japanese restaurant. The sushi bar was awarded a place on San Francisco Chronicle’s Top 100 Restaurants List in 2015 and was also designated as one of the Hottest Japanese Restaurants in the Country by Zagat in its first year of opening.

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2015/...ennium-tower-boston-development-in-fall-2016/

Also tucked in that BBJ article about the restaurant:

Millennium Tower is 75 percent sold.

PABU will be located at 1 Franklin Street, on the first and second floor of Millennium Tower Boston.

So that leaves only the third floor retail on the tower side, and the small storefront on the Washington st. side left to lease. Unless by "first floor" they mean the entrance and escalator up to the second floor. In which case the first floor is still open.

Also tucked in that BBJ article about the restaurant:

Millennium Tower is 75 percent sold.

I'm not sure how up-to-date that number is, but given that they were reporting 70 percent sold in late Jan./early Feb., that seems to indicate that their sales pace is slowing.

It always saddens me how expensive yakitori/robatayaki is in the states. You can get really good yakitori in Tokyo for like $1/skewer. Maybe $2/skewer for some high end beef.

+1

The first time I tried to find good Yakitori after being in Tokyo was in NYC and it was outrageous. One of the most impressive things about Tokyo to me was how cheaply I could eat (decent food) if i wanted to. Yakitori was the primary reason I feel that way (cheap Ramen/Tsukemen being the other).

Please, try to get your facts straight in the future before making such assertions.

Easy there killer. I have a job and a life beyond Boston developments. Hard to believe I know. I really don't care who owns that space. I lived next door in 1999-2000 when the towers were being constructed. I attended the meetings that the developers had with the area residents before the construction. Millennium promised, in addition to the movie theater and gym, that there would be a bunch of retail SHOPPING on Avery Street. With the exception of the furniture store that I have seen 19 people enter in 10+ years, there is no retail beyond the movie theater and member's only gym. Any way you slice it, they never, even 15 years later, delivered what they promised in terms of the retail along Avery.

Easy there killer. I have a job and a life beyond Boston developments. Hard to believe I know. I really don't care who owns that space. I lived next door in 1999-2000 when the towers were being constructed. I attended the meetings that the developers had with the area residents before the construction. Millennium promised, in addition to the movie theater and gym, that there would be a bunch of retail SHOPPING on Avery Street. With the exception of the furniture store that I have seen 19 people enter in 10+ years, there is no retail beyond the movie theater and member's only gym. Any way you slice it, they never, even 15 years later, delivered what they promised in terms of the retail along Avery.

I will point out that the primary deterent to retail, particularly restaurant retail, on Avery has been the residents of the Ritz Towers. They blocked the proposed Japanese restaurant on Avery multiple times, for example.

OK, thank you for supplying that background context; I wasn't on the scene then so I certainly wasn't aware of that. I appreciation your frustration given what was promised versus what has been realized so far.... of course, this was also the project that quite literally drove a stake through the Combat Zone, so there's that bigger picture. But you're right, Roche Bobois is sadly lifeless most of the time. Also, JeffDowntown's observations are significant, obviously.

I will point out that the primary deterent to retail, particularly restaurant retail, on Avery has been the residents of the Ritz Towers. They blocked the proposed Japanese restaurant on Avery multiple times, for example.

On what grounds?

+1

The first time I tried to find good Yakitori after being in Tokyo was in NYC and it was outrageous. One of the most impressive things about Tokyo to me was how cheaply I could eat (decent food) if i wanted to. Yakitori was the primary reason I feel that way (cheap Ramen/Tsukemen being the other).

It's the cost of getting actual Japanese ingredients over in the States. No self-respecting Japanese sushi chef is going to use scallions from Volante's (which is a fantastic veggie farm, don't get me wrong), when a recipe calls for Aomori negi.

My wife is quite far along in the process of opening a Japanese foodstuffs import shop, web-based at first, for eastern Mass. The demand is there. Looking at potential retail locations in Brookline, Needham, and Sharon.

Im liking how from different angles this building stands alone. today >

In town for a visit, just got off at Downtown Crossing and walked thru Roche Bros to exit. It looks great! The street level is fantastic, and when Primark opens it's going to make it even better. Hopefully they can move the Impeach Obama guy to another part of town though haha.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12236226@N08/18124451513/

How do I post a Flickr photo directly?

You can't (as far as I know). They need to be loaded to a site like imgur, photobucket, etc..

Here? Go to the page of the individual photo and click on the "share" button at bottom right. (It's an arrow.) You can choose how to share it. Pick the BB Code option if you want to post to this board.

IMG_20150612_140708 by tmac9wr, on Flickr

Hopefully they can move the Impeach Obama guy to another part of town though haha.

I actually walked by him when I went to lunch at about the time of your posting, and when I walked by about a half hour later, I saw that he had moved to the opposite corner. I wonder if someone made him move...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back