Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the actual specs for this building? I keep reading 625', but is that to the top floor or structural top? There's a wiki that cites to the MP website that says 685'! Went to the site and there it is..."...at 685 feet will be the tallest residential tower in downtown Boston". Can MP really have the wrong info on their own website? Am I looking at an archived version or something? That's a pretty significant difference!
http://millenniumtowerboston.com/#!/millennium-tower

625' is the highest occupied floor. 685' is to top of mechanical penthouse.

Excellent! I was in Boston with my wife and kids and pointed saying "see that? That building is going to be me the tallest building anyone can live in here in Boston. It's going to be almost 700' tall!" I was hoping I was not not a liar! I went back through the thread (skimming admittedly) to find the info but couldn't. Thanks for the clarification... that's pretty freaking fantastic!

Excellent! I was in Boston with my wife and kids and pointed saying "see that? That building is going to be me the tallest building anyone can live in here in Boston. It's going to be almost 700' tall!" I was hoping I was not not a liar! I went back through the thread (skimming admittedly) to find the info but couldn't. Thanks for the clarification... that's pretty freaking fantastic!

I suppose I shouldn't tell you about the Four Seasons.

Yeah - I know about the Four Seasons... but there's nothing to point to and gawk at just yet. I was just excited to know this sucker will push 700 when it's all said and done. To em that feels, right or not, a lot more substantial than when I thought it would barely break 6.

Yeah - I know about the Four Seasons... but there's nothing to point to and gawk at just yet. I was just excited to know this sucker will push 700 when it's all said and done. To em that feels, right or not, a lot more substantial than when I thought it would barely break 6.

2 reasons I am right there with you. First, it went from barely breaking the plateau to being halfway between those towers and the Pru. Pretty serious. Secondly, this building passes the tallest in a lot of cities that 625' would not have.

A few examples include:
Austin: 683'
Montreal 673'
Tulsa: 667'
Cincinnati: 665'
Vancouver: 659'
Omaha: 633'
Des Moines: 630'
Columbus: 629'

Obviously, some of those examples are more impressive than others. MT will be an extremely solid #4 tallest building for Boston in a couple of years.

It will be for a couple months.

Stick -- the tallest it will ever-be is when they hang the Stars & Stripes from the Crane at the Topping-out -- that Flag should be well over 700' above the street

A proper salute for the rebirth of DTX
eagle.gif

The State Street building looks like its being absorbed by the Borg.

Stick -- the tallest it will ever-be is when they hang the Stars & Stripes from the Crane at the Topping-out -- that Flag should be well over 700' above the street

A proper salute for the rebirth of DTX
eagle.gif

i meant it as in it will be the tallest tower that someone can live in for a few months.

When all is said and done, it will be interesting to see what the long term impacts of the new towers on Boston.

My guess is that this tower's main legacy will be for what it does at street level/neighborhood revitalization in DTX. Architecturally, I'm guessing it will be a better than average, but non-iconic tower. It will be a peak on the DT skyline, but not tall enough to really dominate the already crowded skyline.

The Four Seasons tower will probably be the opposite. A transformative skyline tower that will have a visible impact on the city's skyline. But, given its tucked away location, I don't know that it will have much street level impact.

Copley seems like it will be somewhere in between. It has a far more prominent location (at street level than FS) looming over Copley Square (in a good way). Although, not as many will interact with it at street level as Millennium Tower, it will be a very noticeable addition to the built environment and might actually stick out more to pedestrians given the less structurally dense environment than DTX. It also might have more impact on the skyline than Millennium. Again not because it is taller or necessary architecturally superior, but just given it's prominent location on the less crowded Back Bay skyline.

At least 1 of Garden tower also seems likely to get started this cycle, but I don't have a good feel for it yet. Congress Garage and everything beyond that seems a little too hypothetical to really care much about at this point.
All and all, three great towers going up in this cycle that will each contribute to Boston in different ways, IMO.

Congress Garage and everything beyond that seems a little too hypothetical to really care much about at this point.
All and all, three great towers going up in this cycle that will each contribute to Boston in different ways, IMO.

There is a ton of background activity toward making the Congress Street Garage development get underway. Don't count this one out. The City is really working to make it happen.

They are raising the crane more this weekend. Email from my building's mgmt:

Unfortunately, due to some unfavorable weather and wind conditions this past weekend, we were unable to complete the Tower Crane jump as originally planned. We are targeting both Saturday and Sunday of this weekend (6/6/15 and 6/7/15) to complete the remainder of this work. Due to the weather sensitivity of this operation we have received city and MBTA approvals for both days. As always, for safety precautions due to overhead work, Franklin Street (between Washington St and Hawley St) will be closed as well as the entrance to the Orange Line Franklin St station. Hawley St will remain open as well as the Snow Place alley.
There will be multiple police details to assist the public and help with traffic flow.

That section of Franklin should be closed to auto traffic at all times during construction of the tower. Its dangerous for pedestrians exiting the T and that part of Washington Street would be better without cars anyway.

Counted yesterday, seems like we're up to about 33 floors. This thing's really starting to soar.

Had a chance to see the model room in City Hall yesterday:

I find the differences in the models very interesting. Some are beautifully and intricately detailed while others are just...not.

Just like design eh? Just like design.

Based on the vantage point above (and a cool one it is), looks like it's about 360 feet high now. Wikipedia says 101 Federal St. is 380 feet high and it's clear it's about to match it. 400 feet by the 4th of July. Topped-off by Halloween. Fully-cladded by New Years. Move-ins by next Memorial Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back