Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into the Rosch Bros supermarket for the first time yesterday. It is nice in there, but it still reminded me of the old Filene's Basement store. :cool:

I went into the Rosch Bros supermarket for the first time yesterday. It is nice in there, but it still reminded me of the old Filene's Basement store. :cool:

"Rosch Bros"--you must have been in downtown Minsk?

But seriously, it's easy to misspell their name. It's not like they're a well-known Boston-area brand with decades of tradition and civic engagement in the community.... I hear they originated from some obscure hamlet way out in the howling wilderness--Rosalindell, I believe?

There is suddenly a vitriolic scent floating around in here...

"Rosch Bros"--you must have been in downtown Minsk?

But seriously, it's easy to misspell their name. It's not like they're a well-known Boston-area brand with decades of tradition and civic engagement in the community.... I hear they originated from some obscure hamlet way out in the howling wilderness--Rosalindell, I believe?

Trolling? It's not like the area is actually saturated with them. If you live in Brookline or Newton for example you've probably never needed to ever go into one. I'm not going to the effort to pull up a map of all their locations but I'm almost certain the brand is nowhere near as ubiquitous as you seem to think.

A least he didn't called it "Roach Brothers," as I've seen it spelled online (Boston.com).

There is suddenly a vitriolic scent floating around in here...

I'm with Money. Ignore list, people. I have two names on mine (one isn't who you think) and I lead a happier life, seriously. It'd be even better if so many people didn't use quote blocks on all this irritating yet ultimately harmless nonsense.

I'm also with Shepard. The only Roche Bros. I've ever been to are this new one downtown and the one across from Mashpee Commons while spending time down the Cape. Theirs is not a strategy of market saturation.

Last and finally, I love love love the balance that this glass strikes between reflection and transparency. Do people dig the operable windows, though? I see it both ways. My OCD side doesn't want to see the broken wall, but my chill-out side wishes I could get up there to feel the breeze myself.

Do people dig the operable windows, though?

Absolutely. Environmental responsibility via passive cooling is sexy. They are critical to sustainable design.

Also, I like how operable windows create a dynamic (always changing) facade pattern.

Hey, I'm all for "environmental responsibility", but to hell with giving it a name. People want windows that open. The term "air conditioned nightmare" exists for a reason.

They will affect the references people make to the Hancock however, as the glass will most likely never be that uniform for those picturesque days we all snap reflection photos on.

I can't express how happy I am to see this rise. It looks amazing, and the street-level shots are the best. I'm a big fan of the "old & new" shots, so being able to catch the beautiful old architecture and streetscape of Downtown/Downtown Crossing with a sleek glass slab soaring in the background makes me very happy.

Trolling? It's not like the area is actually saturated with them. If you live in Brookline or Newton for example you've probably never needed to ever go into one. I'm not going to the effort to pull up a map of all their locations but I'm almost certain the brand is nowhere near as ubiquitous as you seem to think.

I'm sorry for trolling, if that's what folks deem it to have been.

The Roche Bros. website says there are 18 locations, which sounds like a lot, decontextualized, but I suppose is chump change compared to Hannafords or Shaws or another regional titan.

I guess I just bought into the theme of Roche Bros. being such an important part of the Boston civic fabric--a "mini-Filene's," in that regard--because all the folks from Rozzy speak of it as such a legendary thing down there--that I was astonished someone would misspell it like that.

But eh, whatever. At least it's open and it's doing good business (per the latest BBJ article I read) and obviously doing wonders for Summer Street's overall vitality.

I was walking by this yesterday. Everyone walking by it on a Franklin would pause for a moment and look up. You could see the amazement on their faces. People walking alone or in groups mid conversation. People visiting the city as well as professionals working downtown going out for lunch.

The scenario on Franklin Street is very much what it was like walking down 57th Street 2 summers ago.

I was walking by this yesterday. Everyone walking by it on a Franklin would pause for a moment and look up. You could see the amazement on their faces. People walking alone or in groups mid conversation. People visiting the city as well as professionals working downtown going out for lunch.

The scenario on Franklin Street is very much what it was like walking down 57th Street 2 summers ago.
I made this exact observation as a Facebook post a couple months ago. It's so true. Everyone who passes by it instantly looks up in awe, including myself and I work next to it on Franklin. I've overheard some conversations with misinformation or confusion about how something construction related works and stopped to talk to people about it or answer their questions. It's great to see the general public outside of the AEC industry interested/curious about architecture/construction.

Last edited:
I guess I just bought into the theme of Roche Bros. being such an important part of the Boston civic fabric--a "mini-Filene's," in that regard--because all the folks from Rozzy speak of it as such a legendary thing down there--that I was astonished someone would misspell it like that.

id add that if anything, its just as much (if not more) a westie thing

^I'm guessing you went to the Rush show last night ;-)

Great points DD07.

11667432_918124741564743_6288789400184502090_n.jpg

This may actually be my favorite shot thus far. Looks like a new scraper is being built right on the edge of Central Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back