Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millennium Tower's crane now tallest structure ever in Boston's history!

The crane is now 885 feet tall to the tip of the boom and 697 feet to the turntable of the crane.

https://www.facebook.com/downtownboston/posts/976025052440217

11895084_976024895773566_2509359729381964437_o.jpg

11954748_976024885773567_6621386799713651339_n.jpg

Last edited:
^697 ft. to the Turntable. That gives a pretty good visual approximation of where the mechanical screen will be if it truly does extend to 685 ft. This puppy tops off in mid-September too (I'm assuming highest floor), so we're getting there. Pretty neat.

I'm a bit confused by the tallest ever assertion, actually. What about the Pru & Hancock cranes?

Edit: The Pru & Hancock used boom cranes on the top, so the cranes themselves didn't sit on the ground and constitute the full height, like the MT one does.

Last edited:
The crane is now 885 feet tall to the tip of the boom and 697 feet to the turntable of the crane.

So how does this not violate the FAA's restriction of 800 (or possibly 700) feet, according to that map that gets occasionally posted?

Interesting information though, I'd wondered how high the crane was when the tip of the boom was seen shooting straight up from afar. It looked really high, and gave kind of a sense what it might be like for downtown Boston to have a supertall. Only 885 feet though? 1k would look crazy.

So how does this not violate the FAA's restriction of 800 (or possibly 700) feet, according to that map that gets occasionally posted?

The limit is based on visibility & radar interference. The crane is so narrow and open, that it wouldn't impact those aspects. A large, solid building would.

Pru's antenna is over 900', and obviously Pru and Hancock also had cranes at some point.

Outside of Boston but within site from downtown (look down Beacon from State House for example) are the 4 giant towers in Newton/Needham, all 1000' or more.

The limit is based on visibility & radar interference. The crane is so narrow and open, that it wouldn't impact those aspects. A large, solid building would.

Boston should be able to get a few spired buildings then that are slightly over the FAA limit. I'd like one of those towers from Philly. Maybe we can build Liberty Place 3.

Coming home on the Mass Pike eastbound Sunday night, I noticed that the top of the tower is now visible as you come down the hill approaching the Weston tolls. It's nice to have a third building making it's presence known their along with the Hancock and Prudential towers.

I've been wondering for a while: how does the crane operator get in and out of the cab? Take the stairs from the bottom? Or is there a gangway on the highest strut? Seems like taking the stairs would take half the shift. And how does that spindly crane tower support the operator's enormous pair?

I saw this on tumblr today it is not my picture all credit goes to http://mikekrentz.com/

tumblr_nu10guhVAu1qeqhcho1_500.jpg

The proportions in this picture look better than what I remember from the renders at similar angles and it just looks so tall at that angle.

I've been wondering for a while: how does the crane operator get in and out of the cab? Take the stairs from the bottom? Or is there a gangway on the highest strut? Seems like taking the stairs would take half the shift.

Assuming that's a serious question, yes there is a gangway. You can see it's location in Boston02124's last photo (quoted below) around 6 stories from the top. There is a ladder inside the crane's tower that the operator climbs the last 10-12 stories to the top. It probably takes them < 5 minutes.

You can see some operators climbing in these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib3c3lJfVAA&t=1m27s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjvhJ6uYfJY&t=1m39s

Yesterday morning, they had started taking down the Franklin Street head house. I just passed it and the glass enclosure is completely gone.

I presume they're just replacing everything topside for the Shopper's Plaza redo, not including the steps into the station in bad need of rehabilitation?...

Nice vids, Mike.V!

Yeah, who would want to climb all the way up that shaft from the ground up?
Not me! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back