Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
The City is looking at prohibiting all vehicles to cross Washington St here, including taxis. Basically, vehicles would be allowed into the Millennium Tower driveway, but that's it. They'd have to enforce this with something physical though. At rush hour, when Franklin St was still open there were a TON of private vehicles using this as an illegal cut-through.

I thought I had heard something about that. Would be nice to see it happen!

Interestingly, even MT's renders show taxicabs traversing the Franklin-Washington interchange:

Millennium-Tower-Boston-Downtown-Crossing-Development-Millennium-Partners-Suffolk-Construction-Handel-Architects-Rendering.jpg

cden4 has it. after permitting (and this render) the building was under construction and the road was closed. The City realized the world didnt end by blocking it to vehicles, and realized maybe they shouldnt be enticing motorists to cross a pedestrian way.

Falls right in line with the closings, which start off on Friday too.

There are (at least) 57 closings (w/ MP Frank Tower as the grantor) of unit deeds in the last 2 days recorded in the Suffolk County Deeds, so I assume some people are at least actively decorating and furnishing their units, if not moving in.

Could only find one flip: Unit 2011 bought for 975,000 and sold for 1,325,000.

Biggest and most interesting buyer is Skyland Holdings at 6 units, all on top of each other as they are 1714, 1814, 1914, 2014, 2114, and 2214. Prices went up $10k per floor going from 925k-975k for those units.

There are (at least) 57 closings (w/ MP Frank Tower as the grantor) of unit deeds in the last 2 days recorded in the Suffolk County Deeds, so I assume some people are at least actively decorating and furnishing their units, if not moving in.

Could only find one flip: Unit 2011 bought for 975,000 and sold for 1,325,000.

Biggest and most interesting buyer is Skyland Holdings at 6 units, all on top of each other as they are 1714, 1814, 1914, 2014, 2114, and 2214. Prices went up $10k per floor going from 925k-975k for those units.

Yep, was off by a few days. People are already moving in and Tower is open and fully operational. Saw a lot of staff personnel at the door today. Can't wait until the area around the tower is completed.

Hopefully enough people will actually live in this tower and we will see this thing light up in the coming months.

^ looks like some have move in already last nite URL=http://s301.photobucket.com/user/boston02124/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4bqdsmq5.jpeg.html]
image_zps4bqdsmq5.jpeg
[/URL]

I can't see Boston02124's (image) posting from work, but the lights in MT have been switching about quite a bit since last Thursday night. We have a pretty good vantage point to see them in Northpoint and have enjoyed seeing "life" there.

I walked by at lunch today, too: several folks near the entrances: coming and going!

YES; lights at night! I walk over the Mass Ave. bridge most evenings, and, until now, MT has been a void of darkness amidst the skyline. Can't wait for that to change forever.

Throughout my lifetime, DTX has been the convergence zone of boston: people from every neighborhood of the city came to shop and hang out. So long as those from everywhere can continue to come and enjoy DTX, then 1 Franklin is as good an address as any for Millennium tower. A major issue would be if DTX became a gated community. Until then, we can all enjoy the new bling MT affords, along with Primark, the grocery store, impending Old Navy, etc. DTX is at the precipice of being a multi-class success story, versus the beginning of the downfall of Boston's great central core. Let's hope for the former (which I think it will hang onto).

BigPicture -- DTX was always self-segregated by income, occupation, politics, etc.

Back in the old days there was a Dept Store for every class
  • RH White's
    Whites+at+Bedford.jpg
    1903%2BWhite%2527s%2BNew%2BEscalator.jpg
    RH+White+Co.+ad+1915.jpg
  • R.H. Stearns
    rhs.jpg
    ma+bos+stearns+block.jpg
  • Jordan Marsh
    boston%2Bmain%2B2.jpg
  • Filene's
    Filene's+1908.jpg
  • Gilchrist's
    Gilchrist's+Buildings+as+of+1912.jpg
    Gilchrist's1950's.jpg
    Gilchrist's1967-8.jpg
  • Raymond's
    RaymondsDem1967b.jpeg
  • Kennedy's
  • Houghton & Dutton
  • Henry Siegel & Co.
    1907+Siegel's.jpg
  • W & A Bacon Co.
    Bacon's+1915.jpg
and a newspaper to display the appropriate ads from the appropriate department store:
  • The Boston American was a daily tabloid newspaper published in Boston, Massachusetts from March 21, 1904 until September 30, 1961. The newspaper was part of William Randolph Hearst's chain, and thus was also known as Hearst's Boston American.
  • The Boston Evening Transcript was a daily afternoon newspaper in Boston, Massachusetts, published from July 24, 1830, to April 30, 1941.
  • The Boston Post was the most popular daily newspaper in New England for over a hundred years before it folded in 1956. The Post was founded in November 1831 by two prominent Boston businessmen, Charles G. Greene and William Beals.
  • The Boston Evening Traveller (1845–1967) was a newspaper published in Boston, Massachusetts. It came out daily, with weekly and semi-weekly editions, under a variety of Traveller titles. It was absorbed by the Boston Herald in 1912, and ceased publication in 1967.
  • The Boston Record was founded on September 3, 1884, by The Boston Daily Advertiser as an evening campaign newspaper. The Record was so popular that it was made a permanent publication
of the above only the Herald still exists being the absorber of the American, Record & Traveler
and of course the Globe

Meanwhile all but Jordan marsh {now Macy's} are gone of the original department stores

and of course the ultimate melting pot -- now sorely missed -- Filene's Basement where a common laborer could rub shoulders with Senators Henry Cabot Lodge and Leverett Saltonstall while the 3 of them looked for the trousers finally reduced just before being donated to charity

Filed under the "better late than never" department, these are from June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back