Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but that seems like a strange orientation for the kitchen and dining area. Where is a table supposed to go? With the large kitchen island where it is, that pillar looks to be right where you would want to put any furniture.

Misleading photo. There is a relatively large-ish dining room to the left of the photo, with another 4-5 glass panels. It's a corner unit, so living room/kitchen is bigger than in middle section units.

From the globe.

ryan_Milllenniumtower12_arts.jpg

Stellar -- His critique is usually like a Big Papi Home Run -- there is no doubt about what he has said and that he has said it....with my highlighting in bold

This one like the MT or "Millie" as he's dubbed it -- looks like real "Walk-off" winner
Millie exemplifies a few precious truths. The urbanist Alex Krieger stated one: “A city is the place where the greatest number of activities takes place in the fewest number of square feet.”

Because lots of different things are crammed close together, more kinds of experience are accessible. From Millie you can walk to the heart of the Theater District in maybe 10 minutes. If you dawdle.

Millie also reminds us of another truth, which is that the most important public spaces in a city are the streets. Streets are social and economic centers, not mere traffic ducts. Of any piece of architecture in a city, you need to ask how well it joins with other buildings, new and old, tall and short, rich and poor, in the collaborative work of shaping a good street.

Finally, I wonder who will be Millie’s new residents? Some will be local; some will arrive from other continents. Some — nobody knows how many — will already possess other dwellings and may see Millie as a mere pied-à-terre for a few weeks a year.

There’s currently a tower craze in the United States. Lavish publications run full-page ads about the joys of living high, ads in which one or two people, alone in evening clothes, often seem to do little but look out through floor-to-ceiling glass at some vast expanse of urban towers. Are there really such people? Is this love of the city, or the desire to be isolated from it?

Whatever those unknowns, some truths remain. Good cities are made of good streets. The Millennium Tower has figured that one out.

Robert Campbell, the Globe’s architecture critic, can be reached at camglobe@aol.com.

I enjoyed Campbell's article, particularly the part where he compares and contrasts with the Hancock Tower and how each relates to it's surroundings.

He expressed pretty well how the tower is really only noticeable from a distance and dissappears when you are in downtown. This is true and I have noticed this many times, its almost impossible to find it other than from govt center, the public garden, and a couple other places. It has almost no impact on downtown other than greatly improving dtx, which should be a lesson for people who think new towers are going to ruin downtown.

Is it safe to say that this is downtown's tallest building? At 53 floors, I don't think that there is anything as tall or taller than that. :cool:

The height of this building and its relationship to other buildings in the downtown area has been discussed ad nauseam.

^Does this graphic imply MT's parking extends under the Burnham? Does that make sense?

Otherwise, quite the impressive embodiment of "multi-use"

^Does this graphic imply MT's parking extends under the Burnham? Does that make sense?

I believe the parking does extend under the Burnham Building. I recall when they were renovating the Burnham Building, they cleared out several deep levels of sub-basement, well below the retail levels.

I believe the parking does extend under the Burnham Building. I recall when they were renovating the Burnham Building, they cleared out several deep levels of sub-basement, well below the retail levels.

I think so too. I know you can dig in this thread, but here's an old shot that would support what you're saying:

FilenesBasement_zps6irbyrq6.jpg

^Neat, thanks guys!

I figured w/ the subway lines running nearby and dealing with the old foundation scheme, that wouldn't have been possible, but I continue to be impressed w/ the scope of this project!

"For buyers on a budget" $800,000 city residences lol.

For reference, that's on par with a small pre-war Manhattan 1br. I'm assuming these 1brs will come with much better layouts, finishes, appliances and amenities than their NYC price-equivalents. So we're not quite at NYC levels yet, but getting close...

Yes it does. It also goes 3 stories down. Consisting of unreserved stackers, some ground parking for SUVs and a few reserved spots (I assume for Grand Penthouse).

The portion of Roche Brothers that extends under the new tower is now mostly open. There is currently only a fairly small connecting path from previously open area to the newly opened area. A large section of the interface area is still under wraps; there are some renders tacked up showing that it will be a long narrow U-shaped wine/beer tasting (and maybe food tasting?) bar set up. Think Scandinavian blonde wood and chrome. That will make for a very open interface between the under-Burnham part and under-tower part, whereas for this interim time it's a bit awkward. I did not see any projected date on completion.

As for capacity, Roche Brothers just doubled in size. Most shelves in that back area have been stocked, a few departments are wrapping up their stocking now. For those of us who use this Roche Brothers for lunch, this will have minimal impact, I suspect. For anyone who lives in the area, this is a big step up. They've got way more room for stocking house ware type stuff, for just one example. For the uber-rich moving into the tower, they've got their people to do the shopping, they might not care. But there are lots of less than uber-rich households downtown now, and for them this is a big improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back