Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many apologies: I do not intend to hijack the thread but since One Boston Place is fairly prominent in the last image that @DZH posted, I wanted to let folks know that there is a large roof deck planned for nearly 1/4 of the roof around the mechanical tower. The plans remind me of what PwC built on their outside ~5th floor at Seaport. Unless they stop 2m+ from the edge, employees should be able to get some good imagery of the city when it is completed later this year.

Carry on...

Not true. The "roof deck" will be just 15 or so feet off the ground, above that vacant space on the Court St. side of the lobby area. It's definitely NOT going to be 650 feet up in the air ringing the mechanical tower. I have this absolutely confirmed.

So many awesome shots on this page! The building looks incredible on that wide lens!

Not true. The "roof deck" will be just 15 or so feet off the ground, above that vacant space on the Court St. side of the lobby area. It's definitely NOT going to be 650 feet up in the air ringing the mechanical tower. I have this absolutely confirmed.

No kidding - that must be why the December-January plans on the easel that initially showed the mechanical tower, and the label "Roof Deck: One Boston Place", have been removed!

...maybe they'll put the gym on the roof...

^ As much as people hate it I hope they don't remove the box. Its one of Bostons distinguishing skyline features and its also pretty unique. I know a lot of people hate it but I think its a pretty cool feature on an otherwise pretty regular box.

DXH- as always great shots!

has anyone talked about removing the mechanical penthouse/box on one boston place? this is the first i've heard of it. i don't hate that building at all, i think it's great. (and now we've completely derailed the millennium tower thread)

You also just can't "remove" a mechanical penthouse. I don't know the intricacies of One Boston Place in terms of its mechanical arrangement, but that box could be a number of things like an elevator penthouse.

Sorry he either edited his post or I read it wrong-probably the latter, carry on.

Something just occurred to me: does anyone know how the units are heated in this building? Is it gas, or are they hooked up to the steam system?

I'm pretty sure the tenants just burn whatever extra stacks of hundred dollar bills they have laying around.

I think a fair number of tenants there aren't as rich as we're tending to think. The image of great wealth was set by the stories of the $37M penthouse (or $39M, whatever it was), because granted, it takes real wealth to buy that.

But a lot of the units are being rented, and I've seen craigslist listings there for one bedroom units at $1,900 per month. If you do the most simplistic 30% of gross income to rent ratio, that imputes to $76,000 for what could be either a couple or a single person. If there are no children involved (by that I mean not only no kid in the apartment but also no alimony going out the door, no adult kids being helped through grad school, whatever), that sure as hell isn't poor, but it sure as hell isn't a staggeringly high income either.

Now, some of these units might be rented by empty nesters who have downsized not just in size but in terms of monthly living expenses. Such households might be keeping their rent to a very low percentage of their income, way below 30%, and spending the rest on fancy entertainment and luxury travel. So there could be some quite wealthy folks in those $1,900 per month rentals - this scenario seems fairly likely in some cases.

But I bet there are some young professionals in there, too, not so far above that $76K/year range that would be a safe minimum threshold. If they're still young enough to be paying down student loan debt, they'd need more income than that simplistic $76K, but if it's a couple, that spreads the rent burden.

Anyhow, not meaning to be argumentative, but I think there's a lot of people living in that tower who are in less of a position to burn stacks of $100 bills than I am, unless they're mentally ill. And I most assuredly do not burn stacks of bills of any denomination.

There is no way anybody is renting anything bigger than a coat closet in that building for $1900. 1 beds down the street at Millenium Place start at $3300. On CL, I only see two listings, one for $4675 and one for $7575.

There is no way anybody is renting anything bigger than a coat closet in that building for $1900. 1 beds down the street at Millenium Place start at $3300. On CL, I only see two listings, one for $4675 and one for $7575.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/abo/6015880304.html

This is not the first I've seen in this range. From the pictures out the window, it's pretty low, maybe 18th floor or so.

Here's one for $2,600 / month:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/abo/6011458852.html

I wonder if the 1st listing is an investment property and they are just renting to cover condo fees + tax until they sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back