Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know those folks who complain about shadows on the Common that you can only see at 6am on one day in November?

This conversation feels a lot like that.

There are, like, three vantage points you can see the roof of this building from, if your are looking for it. Nobody outside this forum cares.

.... Nobody outside this forum cares.

Yep, but we're discussing it for the forum, so there's no reason to not care that no one else cares.

OK, that was circular. But seriously, >90% of what gets posted here is just opining on things that most of Jon Q Public cares little about.

As for the specific of the unfinished roof, I didn't intend my post to read as "something ought to be done" because I agree that this is not a big deal, and if nothing is done I won't care. The TCO speculation I threw in was along the lines of "I wonder if...", not "they ought to have...."

You know those folks who complain about shadows on the Common that you can only see at 6am on one day in November?

There are, like, three vantage points you can see the roof of this building from, if your are looking for it. Nobody outside this forum cares.

While I do agree, I will say my wife noticed it coming in from 93 north and wondered why it looked unfinished. Then again, she probably wouldn't have really even known it was built unless I was pointing it out as it rose.

Interesting, I have never noticed it since I basically only view the tower from the North. I don't think it looks that bad, though I agree it would look better covered or partially covered. Overall though, the tower contributes immensely to the skyline. It's hard for me to imagine now what the skyline looks like from across the Charles without MT :D

Im not sure what you mean by 3 vantage points, but from Southie and Dorchester its very noticeable. The tower also lines up directly in front of you on Dorchester ave. Where I live you can see it from anywhere that allows you to see the tower, since its facing towards me as long as you can see MT you see the open crown. I would say the most drastic view I have of it is when I get off the train at JFK. The tower looks incredible and is a huge plus for the city, but some of the southern neighborhoods just have an unflattering view of it.

edit: I tried looking through my phone to see if I had any pictures. The only one I have is from South Bay center on a cloudy day.

free uploader

When the sun is out it looks like this but zoomed out.

From the beginning of the year

IMG_3767 by David Z, on Flickr

I agree Lisbon, now that its built every time I see a picture of the old skyline Im like how did we live like this haha. Downtown is so much more balanced and has a real focal point with this tower.

Last edited:
Just walked by old navy, not open yet but everything is all set and ready to go. Signs on the door don't indicate particular opening time but just say "opening soon"

Just walked by old navy, not open yet but everything is all set and ready to go. Signs on the door don't indicate particular opening time but just say "opening soon"

Same. I went by at 5 expecting it to be open and the security guard mistook me for staff at first (once a sales associate, always a sales associate?) and then said sorry, we're opening soon.

From the top of 100 Fed... 550 feet above sea level? (assuming 20 ft. elevation of Federal St., 591 ft. list height for the tower, minus 60 feet or so for rooftop mechanicals).

I love how on clear days at 500+ ft. in Downtown Boston you can see the full Appalachian arc as you sweep the horizon from WNW (Green Mountains) to NW (transitional zone) to NNW (White Mountains--Moosilauke/Kinsman/Lafayette range) to due N (Washington/Presidential range)....

... And of course the polarity between the Hancock and MTower is very cool, don't see what looming development might ever interrupt that?

picture.php

picture.php

I have more pics of this pending, but before I forget I wanted to mention that the stairs were wide open on Friday night. I walked by twice and only saw 1 person total between the 2 times, but the barriers were nowhere to be found as late as 9:30 pm on Friday.

Many apologies: I do not intend to hijack the thread but since One Boston Place is fairly prominent in the last image that @DZH posted, I wanted to let folks know that there is a large roof deck planned for nearly 1/4 of the roof around the mechanical tower. The plans remind me of what PwC built on their outside ~5th floor at Seaport. Unless they stop 2m+ from the edge, employees should be able to get some good imagery of the city when it is completed later this year.

Carry on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back