Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shmessessy -- Never said that it was -- here's what I actually said with the addition of the word [unaided] and highlighting in bold

I love how no one bothers to read the post -- they just look at the picture

My post was however from approximately the right distance and without the obvious foreshortening in the "view from Millenium Tower"

I can take and have taken a photo of my Droll Yankee Centrifugal Squirrel Proof Feeder which hangs above the back of my deck, and with a bit of zoom it look like it can be reached from my kitchen door, with the big pine which borders my neighbor seemingly directly behind the feeder

Except... its not in any world closer to the view from the Millennium tower. You posted a random picture that is a quarter mile off where the Millennium Tower is, with a completely different view/orientation to the Common. Not to mention the height differences - nothing in that photo has anything to do with the Millennium tower or its view. You basically just took a random pic of the common from a completely unrelated location and claimed it was:

whighlander said:
this is closer to what the view really looks like to your eyes -- taken from a most recent post on the Future Skyline Thread contributed by Odurandina

Which is completely false. You could have just posted an unzoomed random picture of Copley Square for the argument you are trying to make - which seemly seems to be that the pic you posted isn't zoomed, even though everything else about it is unrelated.

Shmessessy -- Never said that it was -- here's what I actually said with the addition of the word [unaided] and highlighting in bold

I love how no one bothers to read the post -- they just look at the picture

My post was however from approximately the right distance and without the obvious foreshortening in the "view from Millenium Tower"

I can take and have taken a photo of my Droll Yankee Centrifugal Squirrel Proof Feeder which hangs above the back of my deck, and with a bit of zoom it look like it can be reached from my kitchen door, with the big pine which borders my neighbor seemingly directly behind the feeder

Point is (and the THREAD is, but that never keeps you) about the Millenium Tower and ITS views.

Everyone else here understands that. Only one person does not.

You seem to have had some book learning and you could have much to add to these discussions. I look forward to you someday gaining an ability to stay on subject. Towards that end, may I suggest some Adderall?

Last edited:
i can't believe the developers, unit owners, city, etc. is "fine" with that open roof. coming from the south it looks like a decidedly "unfinished" structure. way to drop the ball on the 1 yard line with this thing...

i can't believe the developers, unit owners, city, etc. is "fine" with that open roof. coming from the south it looks like a decidedly "unfinished" structure. way to drop the ball on the 1 yard line with this thing...

could not agree more

could not agree more

+1. I highly doubt the folks who will be moving into the Four Seasons at One Dalton would be ok with that roof. Was it really just a cost issue? How much could it possibly cost to close that up?

The open roof accommodates MT's elaborate window washing boom structure.

Then, the high walls obscure it completely when not in use.

+1. I highly doubt the folks who will be moving into the Four Seasons at One Dalton would be ok with that roof. Was it really just a cost issue? How much could it possibly cost to close that up?

Puzzled by these comments speaking for the people in the towers. They are the rich people living lavish lifestyles with fancy furnishings IN the tower, BELOW the roof. Besides architects who may live there, what do the residents care?

Puzzled by these comments speaking for the people in the towers. They are the rich people living lavish lifestyles with fancy furnishings IN the tower, BELOW the roof. Besides architects who may live there, what do the residents care?

If you are going to live in what is billed as the nicest condo tower in all of New England, don't at least some of the owners want the roof to look complete? Of course not all of the residents care. Many probably don't. But some may and for small dollars, it could have been a non-issue.

Well someone bought the penthouse so clearly they don't care about the open roof and is okay with it.

If you are going to live in what is billed as the nicest condo tower in all of New England, don't at least some of the owners want the roof to look complete? Of course not all of the residents care. Many probably don't. But some may and for small dollars, it could have been a non-issue.

I have to guess that most of the residents have never seen that view of the roof from the southeast. So why would they care?

From most vantages in Boston you cannot tell that the roof is open.

From most vantages in Boston you cannot tell that the roof is open.

Anybody who ever comes in via 93N can tell. The roof should have been given the same treatment as the 2 Millennium Place towers. There are a lot of spots where it looks idiotic.

1 Dalton will likely also be open, but won't have the same visual problem due to not having the slant.

Anybody who ever comes in via 93N can tell. The roof should have been given the same treatment as the 2 Millennium Place towers. There are a lot of spots where it looks idiotic.

1 Dalton will likely also be open, but won't have the same visual problem due to not having the slant.

I agree that when you can see it the open roof looks unfinished.

I have driven in via 93N, and have to admit I never noticed that you could see the open top.

One57 in NYC managed to have the roof mostly enclosed. Much more expensive tower, but it's not like giving the roof an enclosed look would be in conflict with the window washing rig.

155148772.FOaJodZ4.pic04061492b_wm.JPG

142242089.jpg

I agree that when you can see it the open roof looks unfinished.

I have driven in via 93N, and have to admit I never noticed that you could see the open top.

That view from the 93N is a bit jarring at top. Frankly, if they didn't want the expense of closing the entire roof, it probably would have gone a long way if they had simply sheathed the inner structure of the roof with some sort of dark colored fascia material.

Seeing that inner structure of the parapet just makes the whole top look ugly from that angle.

The open roof accommodates MT's elaborate window washing boom structure.

Then, the high walls obscure it completely when not in use.

as previously mentioned, renders showed the top covered with a "slot" for the washing boom to extend out of/retract into. which is what should have been done (and hopefully will, ultimately, be done)

I dont see them installing it way after the tower is done. There would be no reason to wait that long when they could have done it during construction. I wish they would though, from Dorchester this tower actually looks pretty bad vs. across the charles or coming south on 93 from north of the city.

I dont see them installing it way after the tower is done. There would be no reason to wait that long when they could have done it during construction. I wish they would though, from Dorchester this tower actually looks pretty bad vs. across the charles or coming south on 93 from north of the city.

I agree, at this point the safest bet is that it bit the dust during VE. The only hope to be wrong on that is if there was some good reason for delay and they negotiated some sort of TCO with the City to do it later. This strikes me as highly unlikely - it would be an odd sort of TCO that was firm enough for the owner to allow unit sales without occupancy risk to condo owners (and their lenders), but still left the city holding some sort of real leverage over .... something (grasping at straws here). I've seen some odd TCOs in my day, so this is not impossible, but I think it's really not likely. Others may differ.

I'm right next door when at work, and most commonly viewing it from the West when not at work, so the unfinished appearance is something I only see in photographs posted here. But every pic I see from the south makes me cringe. Especially with all that structure exposed, and with all the contrasting colors that reveal that it's exposed structure that one sees.... it looks shabby. Having such a shabby crown to an otherwise sleek new tower is really jarring, even if only to viewers from one angle. Not the end of the world by any means, but it's sort of an odd and discordant coda to the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back