Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has gone schizophrenic - posts about the project and posts about absolute nonsense. I guess it is par for the course.

Well done KZ. A view from my childhood... and my present actually. But that's exactly what I meant about the city being revealed to you as you round that corner and those hills.

Well done KZ. A view from my childhood... and my present actually. But that's exactly what I meant about the city being revealed to you as you round that corner and those hills.

The effect along the Pike is more interesting than I-93 as the Pru and Hancock suddenly pop-up just over the horizon outside of Rt-128 and then as the land and pike drop down they disappear again.

Finally they rise into view and stay with you growing ever larger --- until you disappear into the Pru Tunnel and then the Copley Place Tunnel

Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

If anyone wanted to do a dramatic tower -- I'd level the circa 1970's Macy's and in the middle of the old Lafayette Place well back from the street let a tall slim tower sprout from a five or six story pedestal fronting the Burnham across Summer St.

Great idea!

Great idea!

A great idea... just get mega-landlord Abbey Group (owner of 45 Province & LCC) to sign off. Plus their mega-tenant Partners Health Care. Plus mega-tenants Hyatt Regency Boston, and their huge REIT landlord. Plus consent from the Hyatt Garage--owned by the City, but subleased to Pilgrim Parking. So two consents needed there. Plus mega-tenant Macy's. Plus mega-mega landlord Markley Group, which will agree to a massive restructuring of 1 Summer's data farm infrastructure... oh, sometime around the moment of the apocalypse. No problem!

This thing is incredible, still in shock this is being built in Boston.

92ab408d44294c1ab7667a8e8a1af49c.jpg

Is it just me or does it look like they're getting rid of the flesh curb intersection at Winter/Summer/School Sts? I know BDT is redoing Franklin to improve conspicuity of the street restriction and Hawley St to accommodate 2-way traffic, but do we have any idea how the city will be treating School and Summer Streets? Last info I know of was from the public meeting where it was mentioned that appropriate pavers were being explored for durability in anticipation of flesh curbs, but it was never made clear where or how much.

With the fact that the area is now a pedestrian priority zone, it doesn't make much sense to keep the curbs.

Flesh curb... lolz.

I'm still wondering though why they still seem to want graded curbs/sidewalks in this area - it's both unnecessary and off-putting to say the least.

This thing looks an easy 650' - at least - in every rendering and in that video.

I still think this was a missed opportunity to rebuild the DTX station.

This thing looks an easy 650' - at least - in every rendering and in that video.
I was at a presentation by a starchitect the other day, and somebody asked if renderings were scaled appropriately, and the reply was, 'that they were not', that the computer graphics distorted dimensions.

BBJ stated that this would be the 4th tallest building but at 625' wouldn't this be the 3rd tallest? I thought the fed res was 615'

I guess it has been decided that Boston is red at the bottom, white in the middle, and blue up top. Kinda patriotic.

I'm still wondering though why they still seem to want graded curbs/sidewalks in this area - it's both unnecessary and off-putting to say the least.

Regarding the flush curb not being shown in the render: the render's base image is actually a HDR photograph of DTX with the tower inserted in the background and some modifications to the Burnham base. That is why the curb is shown (it's part of the photograph). It's also why the tower appears so out of scale... because it actually is.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is probably more accurate once you account for distortion from the camera angle and the 3D compositing process.

I still think this was a missed opportunity to rebuild the DTX station.

Don't think it wasn't proposed - at least on the previous iteration of this project.
All the city wanted then was for the Franklin St park State St Station exit to be incorporated into the building. Doesn't even look like they're asking for that anymore.

BBJ stated that this would be the 4th tallest building but at 625' wouldn't this be the 3rd tallest? I thought the fed res was 615'

They could be accounting for CSC, which should be somewhere in the 700's

Since height for zoning purposes in Boston is usually measured to the top of the last occupiable floor, the actual building height is probably higher than 625 feet including the mechanical penthouse.

Don't think it wasn't proposed - at least on the previous iteration of this project.
All the city wanted then was for the Franklin St park State St Station exit to be incorporated into the building. Doesn't even look like they're asking for that anymore.

That's not State. The Franklin/Shoppers Park headhouse leads down to the OL Oak Grove platform in DTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back