Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here, and I've been wondering this for a while - what's going to happen to the exposed glass side of the Burnham building - is it not going to be flush with the tower, or does the podium end before that glass area?

Newbie here, and I've been wondering this for a while - what's going to happen to the exposed glass side of the Burnham building - is it not going to be flush with the tower, or does the podium end before that glass area?

Welcome! There will be space between the two buildings. The podium doesn't exactly end - there will be a glassed-in retail/lobby space filling the gap up to about 2 stories.

THe 3rd floor has some separation, but hte 4th floor is the first that is truly separated from the Burnham building.
Take a look at this page from the NPC file from the BRA website.

THe 3rd floor has some separation, but hte 4th floor is the first that is truly separated from the Burnham building.
Take a look at this page from the NPC file from the BRA website.

Thanks, that really helps me understand! I don't think I realized how much separation there would be going in, but it's clear now. Excited to see this keep taking shape!

Anyone else notice that the columns on the 2nd floor along Hawley St are actually crooked? They are on a slight slant. I wonder why that was done.

Anyone else notice that the columns on the 2nd floor along Hawley St are actually crooked? They are on a slight slant. I wonder why that was done.

I honestly think it might be the angle that you see them through the cage. Optical illusion more than anything. I noticed this and freaked out but then when I looked from different angles it seemed to be an illusion of the cage.

I honestly think it might be the angle that you see them through the cage. Optical illusion more than anything. I noticed this and freaked out but then when I looked from different angles it seemed to be an illusion of the cage.

No, they're definitely crooked. The cage has been lifted and you can see that they lean outward toward Hawley. I work next door and see it everyday.

No, they're definitely crooked. The cage has been lifted and you can see that they lean outward toward Hawley. I work next door and see it everyday.

Well then I guess I'm officially freaked out again after all.

Is there a picture that demonstrates this? Maybe they are intended to be that way?

I'll try to snap some today. It looks intentional, so there must be some structural reason for it.

Thank you, I didn't notice while I was back in Boston a few weeks ago, being away at college this is the only way to see this stuff.

I'll try to snap some today. It looks intentional, so there must be some structural reason for it.

I just walked by. No pics sorry. It is only 2 columns that I see that are crooked. Both on the second floor, both on the Hawley St. side. Anyone know what is going on the second floor of the tower near the Hawley/Franklin intersection? I wanted to ask a worker why those columns are different than the others but the place was a virtual ghost town at 6:15pm.

I took pictures:

2014-10-02170005_zps1f218f20.jpg

2014-10-02170030_zps5f935d8d.jpg

2014-10-02170043_zpsf7c14e47.jpg

It appears to me that it works as a transfer because the columns on the next floor up are closer to the edge than the ones below the leaning columns.

I saw something like this in NY when i was there 2 weeks ago I'd be curious for an explanation.

As a completely and utterly uneducated guess:
Maybe having the columns closer to the curtain walls gives more usable floorspace but for some engineering reason they couldn't have the support columns that close to the foundation, so the had to do a transfer somewhere but didn't want it on the ground floor?

Hopefully one of our resident engineers will weigh in on this.

It seems like they wanted the columns to be close to the edge on the upper floors (so they are out of the way in the condos), but needed them to be back further on the ground and lower floors for the transfer to the footing.

Edit: Simultaneously posted with Statler

That seems likely. But it seems like it would mess with structural integrity a bit but I am not an engineer so I am probably wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back