Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
22496524048_281ae10a22_b.jpg

Just to be clear, apart from the earlier concern about the black panels in place of missing windows, the glass they are installing now on the upper floors is of a different hue/type. I couldn't find a rendering that really shows this since there are none that show the top straight on during the day.

Just to be clear, apart from the earlier concern about the black panels in place of missing windows, the glass they are installing now on the upper floors is of a different hue/type. I couldn't find a rendering that really shows this since there are none that show the top straight on during the day.

You can clearly see it in this picture that DZH took

It's only the glass between the two patios though.

Yup. The closer I look at some of the renderings on the official website, you can discern this difference. What's the reason though? Clearer views for penthouse residents?

Taking a closer look at the renders (again), it looks like there will be balconies notched out on these upper floors as well!?

Taking a closer look at the renders (again), it looks like there will be balconies notched out on these upper floors as well!?

Yes, there are balconies.

Also, I just asked Handel on Twitter about the glass. Let's see if they respond.

Disagree strongly. More hotel rooms are fine, I guess, but the most pressing need this city has, by far, is housing. Projects that change their planned hotel rooms to apartments are good, not bad, and if the city is going to interfere in the construction industry, it should be to encourage more apartments, not less.

There should be over 20 new hotels and 4,000 new rooms open in the next two years. That's about a 15-20% increase. The increase in housing stock is much smaller.
Beg to disagree. Hotels run at a different pace and schedule from offices and hotels. While I agree with the need for more housing (especially mid-level), housing is not a replacement for hotels. Look at areas in Boston that are the most vibrant, i.e Back Bay- they have a good mix of housing, hotels and offices. DTX and Seaport are never going to be vibrant unless more hotels are integrated into or are the projects.

Yes, there are balconies.

Also, I just asked Handel on Twitter about the glass. Let's see if they respond.

Those are balconies, enclosed by glass (storefront-ish) on three sides. The glass change at these floors (where the PH's start) is to low-iron glass- clearer, higher quality, more $$

Beg to disagree. Hotels run at a different pace and schedule from offices and hotels. While I agree with the need for more housing (especially mid-level), housing is not a replacement for hotels. Look at areas in Boston that are the most vibrant, i.e Back Bay- they have a good mix of housing, hotels and offices. DTX and Seaport are never going to be vibrant unless more hotels are integrated into or are the projects.

I don't understand this response. As I said, hotel construction is booming in Boston (and Cambridge), and doing so at a far greater rate, proportionately, than housing. Housing, at least for people who actually live here and don't make a pile of money, is more important than hotels. I never argued that they were a replacement for hotels because I don't care: we've got a ton of hotel rooms coming online in this city, now and for the foreseeable future. And there are a lot of hotels in and around downtown, including new ones. There is not, proportionately, as much good housing in DTX, and my guess is that's the real reason it's not "vibrant".

And let's face it, the Seaport will never be vibrant. It's a giant office park with nothing but expensive housing. It's got a lot of hotel rooms now, it has more coming. I don't understand how even more hotels are the solution.

I've got no special hatred for hotels, but this city is facing a real housing crisis and that should be the priority.

I don't understand this response. ...

And let's face it, the Seaport will never be vibrant. It's a giant office park with nothing but expensive housing. It's got a lot of hotel rooms now, it has more coming. I don't understand how even more hotels are the solution.

I've got no special hatred for hotels, but this city is facing a real housing crisis and that should be the priority.

GW --No but you seem to have a special hatred for the Seaport Innovation District

The same could be said of Kendall Sq. 2.0 -- in several of its incarnations in the bast 50 years -- yet today I would find few people who hold that lack of vibrancy view

Today -- the judgement of history is hardly ready to be delivered to the vibrancy of the Seaport Innovation District -- there's a lot more building and some rebuilding to come

GW --No but you seem to have a special hatred for the Seaport Innovation District

The same could be said of Kendall Sq. 2.0 -- in several of its incarnations in the bast 50 years -- yet today I would find few people who hold that lack of vibrancy view

Today -- the judgement of history is hardly ready to be delivered to the vibrancy of the Seaport Innovation District -- there's a lot more building and some rebuilding to come

Guilty as charged! Aside from the architecture and demographics, there's the future cost of fortifying it against the effects of global wa..... errrr, nevermind.

It's the same thing as when some years ago people said the Greenway will never be lush, attractive and successful. Nothing is instantaneous. Five years from now they will be eating their words.

It's the same thing as when some years ago people said the Greenway will never be lush, attractive and successful. Nothing is instantaneous. Five years from now they will be eating their words.

I am not sure I agree on this.

The Greenway was designed to flesh out over time, and that was natural evolution built into its design.

There are serious urban design flaws in the Seaport that time cannot correct, without serious rebuilding. A lot of the Seaport is destined to remain pretty sterile for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back