MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

Not a bad view from 2208 and new signage put up.
IMG_20220428_140620.jpg
IMG_20220428_132745.jpg

what's wrong with it?
Everybody who I've ever seen walk by it, including myself, has just been confused.

There is no context. There is no explanation. And, why, of all possible art, is this what they put? This has no contextual relationship to anything going on in the area. There is a huge space here practically begging for interesting, interactive or participatory art, or art that complements the work happening in the area.

No let's just hang some confusing squiggles from some cantilevers and call it a day. MIT's 1% for the arts is more like 1% effort.

I honestly don't know how more people here aren't offended by this.

I honestly don't know how more people here aren't offended by this.

Of all the things in the world -- architecture- or urban design-related -- to be offended by, this seems like a really odd place to take a stand, maybe?

It's "art" -- kind of by definition, some people will like it and others won't. You seemingly don't like this. Fair enough. "Offended"?!?! Yikes.

Of all the things in the world -- architecture- or urban design-related -- to be offended by, this seems like a really odd place to take a stand, maybe?

It's "art" -- kind of by definition, some people will like it and others won't. You seemingly don't like this. Fair enough. "Offended"?!?! Yikes.
I'm offended because it (along with a lot of other parts of this project) flies in the face of what MIT said in community meetings for this project. They held a whole bunch of public meetings that were clearly just for show. They didn't take any feedback from it. I get that it wouldn't mean much to people who didn't actively participate in these meetings (I don't know if you did or not), but when a multi-billion dollar plan promises public art in the open space as part of the plan and then crams some very confusing, contextless lights three stories up and calls it a day, it feels kind of like a slap in the face to people who participated.

Yikes!

^ The "signature" roof comes in Fall, apparently. While things here have shaped up rather well/quickly for a new headhouse project, we're likely going to be waiting some time for a finished Kendall Square stop...

Back