National Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
KMP there is no reason to call people names on this board.

o-POT-MEET-KETTLE-570.jpg

Look---- I have 105 Likes that means I should be manager.

No, we have a fucking 4 year degree and that means we are BARELY qualified to be a manager at Abercrombie & Fitch (Yes, ANF requires a 4 year degree), let alone get a professional job related to our degree. Entry level jobs in our fields pay jack & require 5 years of experience, despite being an entry level job.

Like I said the millennials are the entitled age. They are disasters.

Entitled? They're the best and hungriest workers I've come across, from my own work in shipping finance to the people I interact with in cafes, pubs and stores. If I could legally pull the chain on every American on my team over 40, I probably would.

Why are you so angry and bitter towards millennials anyways?

Last edited:
Entitled? They're the best and hungriest workers I've come across, from my own work in shipping finance to the people I interact with in cafes, pubs and stores If I could legally pull the chain on every American on my team over 40, I probably would.

This is a good point. We're far more likely to stay and work longer hours if the job/deadline requires than the older generations that punch out at 5 regardless of if the job is done or not. My older colleagues have routinely delayed projects simply because they left at 5 when a job was supposed to go out. Meanwhile, the younger millennials in the office routinely stay later/work weekends to get a job out on time.

We work the hardest at the historically lowest rates of pay.

We work the hardest at the lowest pay rates.

Isn't that kind of the way it has always worked? I'm sure the older generation said the same thing when they first started 30 years ago. There's a term for it. It's called paying your dues. It's supposed to suck, and it certainly does!

Once you get past that stage, perhaps you will learn from it better than your predecessors and treat the next generation better than you are being treated. That has yet to be determined.

Entitled? They're the best and hungriest workers I've come across, from my own work in shipping finance to the people I interact with in cafes, pubs and stores If I could legally pull the chain on every American on my team over 40, I probably would.

I'm not angry at the millennials at all. It's not their fault that they feel entitled.
It's the Baby Boomers I'm furious at, they got too greedy.

I just think the millennials are unprepared for what could happen in the next 5 years. I don't see anything positive for America's Financial situation.

America will always have an innovative soul. Thank God.

I don't know why I am wading back into this thread, but this generational thing and the college education thing are both really important and complex.

As a gen-x'r (or between-generations type I suppose) who has managed an engineering department consisting of ages 22-72 for over 5 years, I can honestly say that YES, there is a generational difference between the baby boomers on one side of me and the millenials on the other. But it is not nearly as simple as who's better. Baby boomer engineers have a wealth of experience - but they are often burnt out or belabored with outside-of-work issues. I'm not kidding, there is a serious burn-out issue with millennials' parents' generation. Meanwhile, yes, I can absolutely corroborate DD's point that millennials are exceptionally hard working and put in long hours - but they sometimes mock/eschew the boomers' experience and are impatient. Both generations are flawed, and both need to listen to one another better. Millennials (I believe) are jaded by what their parents' generation had to go through - boomers sold their souls to corporations thinking they had lifelong employment locked in; that turned out to be a farce, and now the boomers are bitter (many of whom had the rug pulled out from under them, sometimes multiple times). Millennials, expectedly so, are much more individualistic and out for themselves - who can blame them: being a corporate yes-person didn't do their parents any good. The millennials don't trust the type of advice that was given to their parents (e.g., "trust the system, and you'll be taken care of"), and therefore seem more ambitious and self-focused.

Both generations need to take a step back and realize what each other has gone through and leverage each others' strengths. Millenials need to listen to the experience of those who came before them, but Boomers need to stop kidding themselves that they are worth 2.5x the "young kids" salaries when they are not working as hard. This unfairness is equally due to kids being underpaid and the boomers being burnt out.

Ok, I am tired of writing more about this. But it is fascinating and not a simple one-dimensional problem. We all need to respect and understand each other more.

Isn't that kind of the way it has always worked? I'm sure the older generation said the same thing when they first started 30 years ago. There's a term for it. It's called paying your dues. It's supposed to suck, and it certainly does!

Once you get past that stage, perhaps you will learn from it better than your predecessors and treat the next generation better than you are being treated. That has yet to be determined.

Changed to historically lowest rates of pay while you were responding. Older generations' pay at entry level positions was far more equitable to the cost of living (education, housing, groceries etc) than it is now.

^ agreed. See my post above. Young people are historically underpaid, even in tech fields, compared to their parents' generation.

I have waded through bureau of labor statistics data, and when accounting for cost of living increases, the only folks whose salaries haven't been flat (or in some cases declining) compared to their parents' generation are wall street types. Financial services managers, investors/traders, and senior executives of large corporations.

There is truth to the fact that Millenials are underpaid compared to their parents in most cases.

Changed to historically lowest rates of pay while you were responding. Older generations' pay at entry level positions was far more equitable to the cost of living (education, housing, groceries etc) than it is now.

I am all for equal rights, but like to joke (seriously, it's tongue in cheek) that feminists really shot themselves in the foot and blew it for women everywhere. It used to be that a man could go to work and support an entire family, even without a college education. Women could stay home with the kids and all the necessary staples were affordable. Now women also have to work full time and their combined income is still often worse off than the man's was alone. I don't know WHY that happened, only THAT it happened. Personally, I would love to be a stay-at-home dad and not have to work for "the man" but I blew that by not dating a rich enough woman!

But basically, now many women are stuck working AND taking care of the kids on top of that. (or else most of their income is sucked away by child care) Progress isn't always forward. Obviously women SHOULD be able to work and do any job a man can do, for equal pay. However, if I had the opportunity, I'd prefer to stay home and take care of my family. That doesn't seem to be an option for many anymore, as it was for the older generations. It's a double edged sword.

Awesome Post++BigPicture

No need to worry about Generation X---They are all still in Rehab.

Big Picture is under paid or is it the Cost of Living that is the problem?
Which brings my theory on a decade of low interest rates and Govt spending. Caused by the BOOMERS

I am all for equal rights, but like to joke (seriously, it's tongue in cheek) that feminists really shot themselves in the foot and blew it for women everywhere. It used to be that a man could go to work and support an entire family, even without a college education. Women could stay home with the kids and all the necessary staples were affordable. Now women also have to work full time and their combined income is still often worse off than the man's was alone. I don't know WHY that happened, only THAT it happened. Personally, I would love to be a stay-at-home dad and not have to work for "the man" but I blew that by not dating a rich enough woman!

But basically, now many women are stuck working AND taking care of the kids on top of that. (or else most of their income is sucked away by child care) Progress isn't always forward. Obviously women SHOULD be able to work and do any job a man can do, for equal pay. However, if I had the opportunity, I'd prefer to stay home and take care of my family. That doesn't seem to be an option for many anymore, as it was for the older generations. It's a double edged sword.

BINGO-----The GOVT needs more taxpayers for there bloated Pensions and unlimited Healthcare plans.

Also my theory on Low interest rates for a decade along with bailouts to the corporations have ruined the Quality of LIFE for the American People.

Wait. So you've shit on the Millennials, the Xer's and the BOOMERS. How the fuck old are you?!?

After the classless Hollywood digs at Trump I have come to conclusion that TRUMP will probably be impeached by next year.
He truly is an insecure disaster and what they will get him on is his business ties along with Washington insiders.

Not like Hollywood has anytype of morality since they get remarried every weekend.

But for Trump to respond to Meryl Streep's rant--- I was like seriously.

Trump should have just said SHE IS A GREAT ACTRESS and moved on.

It seems as if what we have been discussing is the lack of economic opportunity.

Of course, as low wages will be a worsening problem due to the globalization of the economy. For example, I know nothing about IT, but I know what I want it to do for me. So I have a subcontractor in Dhaka who can do anything, do it well, and at a price that you couldn't get a kid to shovel your front walk for.

But the problems wrought by globalization will be an incidental issue, notwithstanding their use as a political rallying point. As humans become increasingly unnecessary as a factor in production, you will begin to see more definition in today's social striations: fantastic profits for the owners creating a small vastly wealthy elite; good wages for the few highly specialized workers who provide the technical and administrative support for the means of production, this group forming a shrinking petite bourgeoisie; and members of a vast unnecessary labor force whose ONLY economic value will be as a parasitic consumer class, who must earn enough income selling each other Starbucks and burgers to allow them to purchase the fruit of automated labor. The only other jobs will be in the military service keeping international and civil order, herders, fishermen, sanitary engineers, and prostitutes and other entertainers and sports to divert the masses.

Compound this with genetic improvements to the human species that are affordable only to the wealthiest elite.

The arc of history is curving toward basic guaranteed minimum income:http://basicincome.org/ Without it, no one will buy the shit made or grown by the robots. The credit crunches of the last three decades have been a clumsy failure to properly account for the growing wealth gap between the owners of the means of production and the consumer class by propping up the consumer class with credit bubbles.

The only two things of value one has are one's vote and one's consumer power. Will the voters trade the vote for a big screen tv?

We shall see.

It seems as if what we have been discussing is the lack of economic opportunity.

Of course, as low wages will be a worsening problem due to the globalization of the economy. For example, I know nothing about IT, but I know what I want it to do for me. So I have a subcontractor in Dhaka who can do anything, do it well, and at a price that you couldn't get a kid to shovel your front walk for.

But the problems wrought by globalization will be an incidental issue, notwithstanding their use as a political rallying point. As humans become increasingly unnecessary as a factor in production, you will begin to see more definition in today's social striations: fantastic profits for the owners creating a small vastly wealthy elite; good wages for the few highly specialized workers who provide the technical and administrative support for the means of production, this group forming a shrinking petite bourgeoisie; and members of a vast unnecessary labor force whose ONLY economic value will be as a parasitic consumer class, who must earn enough income selling each other Starbucks and burgers to allow them to purchase the fruit of automated labor. The only other jobs will be in the military service keeping international and civil order, herders, fishermen, sanitary engineers, and prostitutes and other entertainers and sports to divert the masses.

Compound this with genetic improvements to the human species that are affordable only to the wealthiest elite.

The arc of history is curving toward basic guaranteed minimum income:http://basicincome.org/ Without it, no one will buy the shit made or grown by the robots. The credit crunches of the last three decades have been a clumsy failure to properly account for the growing wealth gap between the owners of the means of production and the consumer class by propping up the consumer class with credit bubbles.

The only two things of value one has are one's vote and one's consumer power. Will the voters trade the vote for a big screen tv?

We shall see.

Well, there are two ways of looking at that. The full automation and AI we are marching towards (rather quickly, too) will either afford the human race the best we have every had (think the beginning of a Star Trek-like society without need of money/etc), or, it will lead to a super concentration of wealth which as time goes on will slowly screw more and more people. I suppose it all depends on your view if humanity can evolve enough for a society like this, or if greed/violence/etc wins out.

Rifle, you say no insults and then you dig into our generation with broad generalizations. I'm at the oldest end of Millennials at 32 years old. I never heard of a "participation trophy" until I saw that stupid alt right meme about it two months ago. I'm a 2x college drop out that studied international affairs the first time and architectural drafting the second time. I ended up becoming a certified machinist & mechanic because apparently I do better at a 4 year program if I get paid to show up. I'm currently in training for certification to operate a crane. I have no student loans. I pay a solid 1/3 of my income on taxes and I've never received a dime from the government as any sort of welfare or aid.

I almost never carry my cellphone with me because I think it's annoying and a distraction from living my life, and I check my Facebook page about once every two weeks.

Please take your generalizations and well... you know where to put them.

BK, I prefer your vision to mine!

But since technology is evolving much faster than human nature...

Wait. So you've shit on the Millennials, the Xer's and the BOOMERS. How the fuck old are you?!?

Well he did praise the "greatest generation" but I sincerely doubt he's *that* old. And really I get along great with the 70 year olds I work with who keep procrastinating on retirement. He writes like a Boomer though...

Well, there are two ways of looking at that. The full automation and AI we are marching towards (rather quickly, too) will either afford the human race the best we have every had (think the beginning of a Star Trek-like society without need of money/etc), or, it will lead to a super concentration of wealth which as time goes on will slowly screw more and more people. I suppose it all depends on your view if humanity can evolve enough for a society like this, or if greed/violence/etc wins out.

This would be ideal direction for humanity but I believe we continue to be to selfish instead of thinking of the big picture. The powers to be will need to find a way to make money on anything that can benefit our society (they are like leeches). We are too self-absorbed trying to get one up on each other. That is the problem--That is why our younger generation idolizes keeping up with the Kardshians or listening to rap music that only promotes Money, Power, Sex.

Rifle, you say no insults and then you dig into our generation with broad generalizations. I'm at the oldest end of Millennials at 32 years old. I never heard of a "participation trophy" until I saw that stupid alt right meme about it two months ago. I'm a 2x college drop out that studied international affairs the first time and architectural drafting the second time. I ended up becoming a certified machinist & mechanic because apparently I do better at a 4 year program if I get paid to show up. I'm currently in training for certification to operate a crane. I have no student loans. I pay a solid 1/3 of my income on taxes and I've never received a dime from the government as any sort of welfare or aid.

I almost never carry my cellphone with me because I think it's annoying and a distraction from living my life, and I check my Facebook page about once every two weeks.

Please take your generalizations and well... you know where to put them.

Listen, just because I talk about the generalizations of groups doesn't mean that there aren't very bright, honorable, hard-working talented individuals in those groups. Keep that in mind. I'm talking about the overall percentage of the group not every specific individual.

If this is true--on what your wrote about yourself you should be proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back