NEMA Boston | 399 Congress St. | Seaport

Re: Madison Seaport Hotel

It's hard to say Ma. is conservative, when it doesn't lean that way on any of the big issues. I think it's more because the state isn't "in your face liberal" the way San Fransico is.
Look at Universal Health care, Gay Marriage, Immigration.

Before stereotyping the citizenry of Massachusetts, one must distinguish between the values of the common man and those held by the self identified "ruling elites" and their fellow travellers of the "chattering class" a.k.a. the media. It is, as you imply, complex. Assuming you are right that the Commonwealth is liberal to the core, is there superior virtue in being "a true conservative"? I leave it to Samuel Johnson:
"A horse that can count to ten is a remarkable horse, not a remarkable mathematician."

Can we all at least agree that MA is aesthetically conservative? Brick sidewalks, gaslamps, khakis, riskless architecture. It's difficult to make the claim about anything else, but the way the state looks doesn't seem to fall in with its mores.

Scott, you've got the correlation between marriage and general political climate backward. Some of the most conservative and evangelical Christian states post higest divorce rates in the country. How's that for hypocrisy?

But aesthetically conservative? Yes, I'd agree.

If marriage is the litmus test of conservatism then Massachusetts with the lowest divorce rate passes and Florida at #42 fails miserably.

Mass. has the lowest rate of marriage of any state, it also has the most strict Gun laws of any state.

we did just have a 16 year run of Republican governors

Look at the mass delegation overall, it is heavily democratic, the rep. gov. is to make sure the dems. dont go crazy.

Can a mod move this to the general section.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) has denied Madison Properties' attempt to switch its 399 Congress St. project in South Boston from a hotel to an apartment building.

The authority has developed long-term plans for the Southie waterfront and always envisioned a hotel on the site because of its proximity to the convention center, according to BRA Spokeswoman Susan Elsbree.

"We will not support a residential project on this site," Elsbree said. "It doesn't lend itself to a residential site. It's ... literally within walking distance to the convention center. We've been telling them it's not appropriate for residential. We are ... eager to work with them on a hotel use."

More: http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/news144311.html

"We will not support a residential project on this site," Elsbree said. "It doesn't lend itself to a residential site. It's ... literally within walking distance to the convention center. ]
So I guess it's pretty clear what Menino and his BRA envision for this area--an auto-centric, convention ghetto where no one actually lives. How visionary.

Who gives a shit if it's within walking distance of the convention center? Do we have to devote anything within a quarter mile of the convention center to serving the convention center?

This is sickening.

I've noted before that the BRA has approved over 5,000 residential units over the past decade on the Seaport District's undeveloped parcels (Fan Pier, Seaport Square, 100 Acres, etc.). For each approval, the BRA issued a press release and the media wrote about the housing as if it were actually proceeding.

Not a single residential unit has been built on an undeveloped parcel in the same decade -- I'd go as far as to suggest two decades. Not a single residential unit despite the fact that the Mayor's pals have moved forward with numerous hotels and office buildings.

I'd love to be corrected on this.

PS. Park Lane Seaport is on Massport Parcel, not subject to BRA zoning. FP3, Channel Center, Archon projects are all rehabs or on parcels requiring demolition of pre-existing wharf buildings.

Makes perfect sense why the mayor wants to move city hall to this area. It's the 21st century version of Government Center!

I like to think of Massachusetts as "Progressively Conservative". I.e. My parents consider my sexual orientation more of a progressive liberal outlet as oppose too actually supporting the cause because they truely care.

Going as far as even putting an equality sticker on the volvo/saab.

Makes perfect sense why the mayor wants to move city hall to this area. It's the 21st century version of Government Center!

I drove down to the Seaport last night. Defintely gaining momemtum with a row of restaurants and has become the hot spot of Boston's nightlife.

I drove down the Greenway around 10 p.m. not one single soul walking around the median strip but the Seaport actually had people walking around.

The Greenway needs nightlife bad.

The Northend always has action.

I will still stick to my guns without proper accessible T....The Seaport area will be a tough sell in the Winter time.

I will still stick to my guns without proper accessible T....The Seaport area will be a tough sell in the Winter time.

You mean sort of like Newbery street? Because its the same distance to the green line as the waterfront is to the silver line.

And the Silver Line, whatever its faults, runs as frequently as the subway rail lines.

30 years from now, Bostonians will feel the same way about the Rose Kennedy Median Strip as they do today about Government Center plaza.

"We will not support a residential project on this site," Elsbree said. "It doesn't lend itself to a residential site. It's ... literally within walking distance to the convention center. We've been telling them it's not appropriate for residential. We are ... eager to work with them on a hotel use."

I don't understand why the BRA has any say on what goes inside a development. If the developer has paid for the parcel, developed plans, and thinks they can sell units...why the hell shouldn't they be able to?!

I don't like the fact that the BRA exists, but I have made peace with the fact that they can claim something is too big...but what the fuck gives them the right to do something like this? How can a city operate in this manner?

Yea I suppose I didn't think the whole thing through...I guess it just feels weird considering there is basically nothing there. I could understand rejecting something in an established neighborhood...but in a wasteland like the SBW? That place needs all the help it can get.

I don't understand why the BRA has any say on what goes inside a development. If the developer has paid for the parcel, developed plans, and thinks they can sell units...why the hell shouldn't they be able to?!

I don't like the fact that the BRA exists, but I have made peace with the fact that they can claim something is too big...but what the fuck gives them the right to do something like this? How can a city operate in this manner?

The BRA also insisted that the worst possible use for the Custom House Tower would be a hotel and it turned out that Marriott's Custom House would become the one of the city's premiere hotel/timeshare destinations.

This is really frustrating though. The Westin and Renaissance aren't big enough for them? It amazes me how a city planning authority has a vision of a dead convention center district for this vibrant city with potential.

Last edited:

Back