New England Conservatory Residence Hall | St. Botolph St. | Back Bay

That looks way cooler than I expected from this building.
Equally impressed. (sorry for the pun). While I still think Mass Art has taken the cake recently, I am happy about the Berkeley College dorm, (just think "metal" baby), and then this. It is both taller and better looking then anything in its rendering. From afar, the shingles, if that is what I might call them, look exactly like that. Hey Northeastern, you are up next with your south campus building.

The panels get progressively lighter in color the higher up you go. It's a nice touch.

Now if Northeastern builds the long planned addition to Matthews Arena that intersection will look good.

The quality that was lost in the initial design with the top windows was definitely made up with what they are doing with the top floor and additonal units. I am impressed, and I miss frequenting that area like I did in my younger days. I am going to pay a visit down there later this week.

Remarkable transformation of the area.

what this city is going to look like in 5 years.... :)

I am really in love with these terracotta shakes/shingles. They are a beautiful play between two historic New England cladding types.

I don't think I've ever seen these terracotta shingles before. I'm really liking the way they look in person. Far superior to the typical concrete panel/ alucabond crap popping up all over.

It's everything Northeastern *should* have done next door.

I'm an immense fan of the terracotta. It looks so damn good.

Boston is just doing it right lately. Were building quality, with good materials, details, and with a Boston style to them. Almost everything going up lately is a huge improvement that makes Boston better overall without sacrificing anything that was already there. Except 888 boylston that thing sucks but you cant win em all. Overwhelmingly everything going up is greatly adding to the quality of architecture within in the city while keeping the old city in tact. This is exactly how we need to be building here, fill in the gaps with quality, while keeping the old stock. This is the model we need to continue on with into the future.

Third for terracotta shingles. It's like it was meant for Boston metro. I'm a yuuuuuuuge fan.

@BeeLine Your first picture shows the new cornice that Northeastern added to its Hastings Hall. I wonder will the YMCA ever have the funds to do the same for its portion of the building.

Liking all the different textures on this building (fixt).

Those are just girts to hold some other material. There might be more texture but do not assume it is until they clad this surface.

cca

Back