New England Conservatory Residence Hall | St. Botolph St. | Back Bay

I love how this building echoes the building next door, without mimicry. Nicely balanced colors, textures, forms that complement, yet differentiate.

I continue to love this building with all my heart. Looking forward to whenever the next phase goes up- replacing the rather dated through-block mess on Gainsborough.

I continue to love this building with all my heart. Looking forward to whenever the next phase goes up- replacing the rather dated through-block mess on Gainsborough.

I had not heard of this phasing at all, but am happy. I didn't realize they were replacing that corner building.

I love how this building echoes the building next door, without mimicry. Nicely balanced colors, textures, forms that complement, yet differentiate.

Good designers do these things well. The people at ABA are good designers. Now, if people could see the value in hiring good designers our city would hold together much more solidly.

cca

I had not heard of this phasing at all, but am happy. I didn't realize they were replacing that corner building.

It's in NEC's IMP, as I recall. No timeline as far as I'm aware, but I eagerly await it nevertheless.

Plus, Phase II is supposed to build off of and emulate Phase I. And give a pretty solid makeover to the Gainsborough streetscape in the process. I was under the impression that NEC wanted to move right from one to the next.

There's a lot to like about this. The uniqueness of the coloring and materials, the solar shades, the way the building fades upward to a lighter tone like the Batterymarch. I've also come to appreciate the fenestration. It has the appearance of the faux "randomness" that has worn out its welcome, but it's not random at all. The one column of aligned windows anchors the pattern, and I like how each band alternates between steadily increasing and steadily decreasing the widths of the piers as you go across.

The only thing I can't seem to make reconciliation with about this design is the lack of any sort of cornice. It just ends so abruptly and, to my eye, awkwardly at the top.

It's in NEC's IMP, as I recall. No timeline as far as I'm aware, but I eagerly await it nevertheless.

In reading the IMP I got the impression that the Gainsborough building would be a gut rehab, not a new building.

In reading the IMP I got the impression that the Gainsborough building would be a gut rehab, not a new building.

According to the IMP, I have, Phase I is the SLPC (Student Life & Performance Center) Almost completed. See above.

Phase II is the replacement of 33 Gainsborough with the LC Project (Learning Center)

I got the impression that 33 Gainsborough would be demolished and replaced by Phase II the LC Project (Learning Center)

This rendering represents the completion of both Phases. Phase I on the right and Phase II on the left. The two Phases are linked on the second and third floors to each other.
NEC Student Life Center & Learning Ctr.

Just found this rendering of PhaseII (Learning Ctr. Project) viewed from Huntington Ave.
conservatory__Learning Ctr.

i read the imp a few days ago and got the same impression.

the new building, is the same number of floors as the original, but definitely an brand spanking new building.

They have fenced off and dug up the sidewalk that surrounds the 1959 building that will be replaced by Phase2.

(Context: https://goo.gl/maps/zMdCzG9r7by)

I hadn't expected them to move that fast, but it looks like demolition has started.

I walked up to the new building to check it out up close. I suppose people knew this, but the shingle is brick, and feels quite solid. Quite an impressive building.

i was studying the pnf a few weeks ago, and had to read it a couple of times to ameliorate my suspension of disbelief that such a solid building is in fact, coming down.... for something barely larger. The new layout, open floor space and new dorms are obviously a huge upgrade for the Conservatory.

The *new building should be just as ugly as the other new building, but less ugly than what it replaces.

*not to suggest i deplore the new 11 story building next door. it's just that i think the cladding is kind of blah. reminds me allot of Yotel.

**kind of cool Google already has updated the street view showing the new building up.

Last edited:
The rendering for phase 2 shows a direct connection to the new building. Based on the photos the new building doesn't look like it has any intention of being connected to phase 2. Is the demo really happening or is it a gut rehab? The 1959 building is (was?) a fine piece of International Style that didn't get the upkeep it should have. Not surprising considering how little regard there is here for historic modernism.

According to the IMP, I have, Phase I is the SLPC (Student Life & Performance Center) Almost completed. See above.

Phase II is the replacement of 33 Gainsborough with the LC Project (Learning Center)

I got the impression that 33 Gainsborough would be demolished and replaced by Phase II the LC Project (Learning Center)

This rendering represents the completion of both Phases. Phase I on the right and Phase II on the left. The two Phases are linked on the second and third floors to each other.
NEC Student Life Center & Learning Ctr.

Just found this rendering of PhaseII (Learning Ctr. Project) viewed from Huntington Ave.
conservatory__Learning Ctr.

"I love how those renders so accurately show the red brick exterior........." - Helen Keller

They have fenced off and dug up the sidewalk that surrounds the 1959 building that will be replaced by Phase2.

(Context: https://goo.gl/maps/zMdCzG9r7by)

I hadn't expected them to move that fast, but it looks like demolition has started.

I was under the same impression (wishful thinking perhaps), but the other day they were pouring new concrete sidewalks and have installed a sculpture on the corner. "Confused!"

https://flic.kr/p/WQkiGi

https://flic.kr/p/WN6fho

Back