New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

just look at that location

I'm looking. The fact that people don't understand the problems with this area is confusing me. There is simply not room here for a stadium and a neighborhood. Without massive infrastructural changes, it will always be cut off from the city. It does not matter how much shit you try to cram in between the tracks and the highway.

That said, I am all for developing this. It's still valuable and a soccer stadium here would be much better than Foxborough. It could be a cool space, but it will never be anything like Fenway or The Garden unless you're up for another Big Dig.

Dont soccer fans do a march down the street to the game? Its a little isolated in the immediate adjoining area, but not that far at all is the south end. As I understand the fans start a little ways away from the stadiums at some bars then march. The street wouldnt work but a sidewalk march to the stadium could work pretty good. It wouldnt be directly next to anything but its not far at all until you are.

Dont soccer fans do a march down the street to the game? Its a little isolated in the immediate adjoining area, but not that far at all is the south end. As I understand the fans start a little ways away from the stadiums at some bars then march. The street wouldnt work but a sidewalk march to the stadium could work pretty good. It wouldnt be directly next to anything but its not far at all until you are.

Yes, it's called a March to the Match.

So since that is unique to soccer it can actually help. The fans all go to bars and restaurants in some place in the south end that would be determined then they march down the sidewalk under 93 over to the game. Its a very short distance theres the south end, then you pass under 93, then your at the location. I think it would work. Its in close walking distance to broadway too and everything that offers- red line transit too, and the south end. Thats much more than most stadiums in any city. Maybe they could built up a tiny patriots place just up against 4th st adjacent to the stadium as well with a walkway between to the stadium with a couple shops, bars, restaurants as you get to the stadium entrance. Thatd be great. Theres plenty of ways to make it work. The channel ends at 4th street too why not widen it a bit and have a water taxi to the south end/stadium if it were built...

Yet another sports related boondoggle idea by Marty Walsh.
Boston 2024, Indycar, and now this. A sports stadium that only gets used a dozen times a year is just about the least worthy use for any location in the City of Boston.

^^True; + the hit any neighborhood would be asked to take–would incite an angry revolt with (likely) bad political consequences.

In a City where you can't build a 400' apartment tower–you're gonna build a stadium? And anywhere damn near where you can build it–there's no transportation. That dog won't hunt.

Maybe just maybe–you can reach an accord to do something extraordinary with one of the College football fields, and split part of the schedule to go to Foxboro....

.....hence the need to DEVELOP it into a dense urban neighborhood!!!!!

Dear Lord, just look at that location - - - I can't get over some of the factions out there advocating for the continued wasting of this central area with mass transit access. It's literally BRACKETED with the Broadway and Andrew red line stations!!

I know what... how about since we need a new location for the DPW we do a search of all the land available near downtown Boston and see what we can come up with?

I know what... how about since we need a new location for the DPW we do a search of all the land available near downtown Boston and see what we can come up with?

Lol I've thought this many times as well. If you move the DPW lot further away from the core of the city dont you just drive up your operations costs? Isn't selling this plot of land incredibly short sited? (Makes sense for a politician to endorse it)

Yet another sports related boondoggle idea by Marty Walsh.
Boston 2024, Indycar, and now this. A sports stadium that only gets used a dozen times a year is just about the least worthy use for any location in the City of Boston.

You can have a bunch of concerts, whats that country music guy that goes to Gilllette that high school kids go to? They could do that but in Boston. Plus other events and then if they built a patriots place like i described above itd be an upgrade to a dead area of the city where nothings going anyways if its that spot next to the pike.

Deck over the tracks between 4th and Travler, call it Revolution Square, put retail around the periphery, and you have a fantastic gathering/rally spot where marchers can converge just before the game. As for transit, it's very close to both Red and Silver Lines, and is even a reasonable walk from the Orange Line. Major development is already going on in the walk radius of this location, it could be a really good thing.

Agreed. A Patriot (Revolution) Place would be ideal over here. Then its a destination. They could have their hall of fame as one of the buildings accessable from the street also, a team proshop, then a bar with their games always on and past games playing when there isnt one being played, a soccer themed restaurant, other soccer themed shops, a non Revs proshop where you can just buy general soccer stuff whether its cleats for lil Timmy, soccer balls, or anything. It could be Bostons soccer Mecca/destination. Then the stadium can be used for many things beyond just home games. I think it would be a huge hit over here if they had a Patriots place type of deal going on and a very nice modern MLS stadium where the seats are very steep so even high up your close to the field, and also a parabola roof like Seattle that funnells sound.

Last edited:

Annex Everett, shut down part of the power plant (Already happening?!), and build DPW podium under 1200' tower.

Lol I've thought this many times as well. If you move the DPW lot further away from the core of the city dont you just drive up your operations costs? Isn't selling this plot of land incredibly short sited? (Makes sense for a politician to endorse it)

The geographical epicenter of Boston is not downtown. There is more of the city south and west off the current location than north. Moving the DPW location more southwestward makes a ton of logistical sense.

(The geographic center of Boston is somewhere out in Roxbury; although to be fair, not too far from the current DPW location. And the center of Roxbury lacks highway access, if you can really call 93 a highway given the slow speeds most of the day.)

Yea 93 is a parking lot.

The geographical epicenter of Boston is not downtown. There is more of the city south and west off the current location than north. Moving the DPW location more southwestward makes a ton of logistical sense.

(The geographic center of Boston is somewhere out in Roxbury; although to be fair, not too far from the current DPW location. And the center of Roxbury lacks highway access, if you can really call 93 a highway given the slow speeds most of the day.)

Of the city limits, but Somerville, Cambridge, Medford, cheslea, and others are just as urban as much of Boston. The center of the urban area is downtown.

Of the city limits, but Somerville, Cambridge, Medford, cheslea, and others are just as urban as much of Boston. The center of the urban area is downtown.

Okay... but the Boston DPW only covers Boston. For the operational purposes of Boston's DPW it doesn't matter how urban Boston's neighbors are.

Last edited:

Is it just a fact that this soccer stadium will be built regardless if its at this spot or not?

It seems like the revs do fine playing at gillette? (I don't watch sports so mostly guessing). I think it seems a bit wasteful/'unsustainable' to let every sport get its own massive stadium in a metro area. Let's stop building more stadiums and try to understand what assets we already have instead of wasting valuable land, (both in $ and environmental importance) on fucking sports stadiums!
--also im biased because I don't care for sports :rolleyes:

Is it just a fact that this soccer stadium will be built regardless if its at this spot or not?

It seems like the revs do fine playing at gillette? (I don't watch sports so mostly guessing). I think it seems a bit wasteful/'unsustainable' to let every sport get its own massive stadium in a metro area. Let's stop building more stadiums and try to understand what assets we already have instead of wasting valuable land, (both in $ and environmental importance) on fucking sports stadiums!
--also im biased because I don't care for sports :rolleyes:

Most people here do. The flip side of that argument is we have a billion luxury condos here now and all that would go up is even more luxury condos anyways which doesnt benefit any of us regular people that want things to do in Boston and a reasonable place to watch our teams. Every team in the MLS is building their own stadiums, Gillette has horrible attendance now because its known as the worst soccer venue in MLS so the Revs are getting left behind. So why give random people I dont know even more luxury condos, this parcel wont dent housing costs, vs a stadium that everybody from the public gets to go and enjoy...and for us who like sports we really enjoy it.

The spot next to 93 is a shitty area anyways, not great for condos. If they built a stadium with a mini patriots place it would be a huge upgrade for the area vs whats there or even condos we cant afford. A stadium, hall of fame, revs pro shop, soccer pro shop, bar, restaurant, all next to 4th street and lining a path to the stadium would be a huge upgrade for the area. Think of how beneficial fenway park is for the fenway neighborhood. Games bring tons of business to the surrounding areas.. in this case the south end and broadway. Also MLS size is good for concerts, this will be a more appropriate venue than Gillette. Its not like this is a prime real estate parcel, Id rather see something beneficial to everyone on this 1 parcel than beneficial to a couple new condo owners... on a crappy spot for them anyways.

Last edited:

Back