New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

Related because it has the word "stadium" in it, in San Francisco, the Warriors' owners want to build an 18,000-seat arena in the Mission Bay ... and privately finance it.

... a giant sports and entertainment complex, surrounded by public parks and plazas, on 12 acres of abandoned port land. It is a proposal that has city officials salivating partly because, unlike most such arenas, taxpayers are not funding it. San Francisco did not plead with stadium developers by offering public lands or years long tax abatements. Some rich people were willing to take all the risk.

The cost is an estimated $150 million, although the developers would spend a total of $1.4 billion on the project, by building two office towers.

Most people are on board with the idea except for a few who don't like it because ... well, San Francisco.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/business/a-basketball-arena-battles-for-san-franciscos-heart.html

A Kraft soccer stadium at Widett Circle with parking where the Flower Exchange is / was on Albany Street?

Anyone got an ear to the ground on this?

A Kraft soccer stadium at Widett Circle with parking where the Flower Exchange is / was on Albany Street?
Anyone got an ear to the ground on this?
Are you asking because you think there's new news here?

I think it is going to be hard to tell new news from echos of recycled rumors/news from the last two years, both in this thread and in the Olympics thread (as a reuse of the O Stadium)

Someone sent me an email about it asking if I had heard the rumor.

I thought i'd post hoping that shaking the pants some money might fall out.

Thought it was different than, "What's up with X?"

I seriously doubt the Flower Exchange would be purchased for megamillions to park cars for a stadium on a parcel that's clear across an at-grade interstate and rail corridor and which itself has all sorts of limitations and ownership quagmires.

If you told me that Kraft was looking at Suffolk Downs, I'd say that could be credible.

"#JonathanKraft guarantees soccer-specific stadium much closer to Boston by 2035, but likely "much sooner." #BlazerCon." Source.

The possible timeline seems less concerning than the "closer to Boston" bit.

Meh, I just saw this on r/MLS. I wasn't even going to bother posting it. I wouldn't read much into any of that.

The possible timeline seems less concerning than the "closer to Boston" bit.

Why? I doubt he's talking any closer than the sites we've already discussed to death.

2035 is a long ways away...

For what it's worth...

Team President Brian Bilello told a gathering of Season Ticket Holders earlier this week that while they would not disclose details regarding locations, that the team was "very far along" in their efforts to build a stadium in the urban core, close to public transportation.

Cue Lucy with the football.

For what it's worth...

Team President Brian Bilello told a gathering of Season Ticket Holders earlier this week that while they would not disclose details regarding locations, that the team was "very far along" in their efforts to build a stadium in the urban core, close to public transportation.

Cue Lucy with the football.

"close to public transportation"... well, I see that Widett Circle is .5 mile walk from both Andrew and Broadway Red Line stops. From Newmarket commuter rail stop it's essentially "can't get they from here" territory right now, but a new pedestrian-friendly access could bring that walk down to .6 miles...

Just a thought, but wouldn't the undeveloped land next to Fenway Park and the Turnpike, currently used for surface parking, be a reasonable location? Fenway Center seems unlikely to materialize. The train station is located on site and having two sports venues near each other seems to makes sense as a destination.

Just a thought, but wouldn't the undeveloped land next to Fenway Park and the Turnpike, currently used for surface parking, be a reasonable location? Fenway Center seems unlikely to materialize. The train station is located on site and having two sports venues near each other seems to makes sense as a destination.

Yes it would be reasonable! In fact, it's a very good idea.

Nah. Terrible location. Traffic is abysmal now and the Purple Line + Green does not in any way support he capacity needed here for another stadium. This area is ripe for development, perhaps not until the next cycle, but development will come here one way or another... and eventually create the push for real transit improvements at all hours rather than what we'd get with a stadium - which would essentially be a few extra trains on game day.

I'm still praying that the Flower Exchange was sold with the intention of that land becoming the parking lot for the stadium at Widett. It's directly on the other side of the highway from the proposed stadium site.

I'm still praying that the Flower Exchange was sold with the intention of that land becoming the parking lot for the stadium at Widett. It's directly on the other side of the highway from the proposed stadium site.

Gosh, I hope not. The Albany corridor is zoned for taller things.

The Legatt Mccall proposal across the road from Albany is planning on going tall:
MEPT and Leggat McCall plan to demolish 123 E. Dedham St., 100 E. Canton St. and 75 E. Dedham St. in the South End and building "approximately 700 apartment units in two buildings ranging in heights from 11 to 19 stories."

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2015/11/two-residential-towers-artists-space-proposed-for.html

Wouldn't it be neat to continue stepping up taller, from the E.Dedham St and E. Canton St 11 stories to a Flower Exchange 20 to 30 story? (the FAA map allows from 400 to 425 feet).

7KGPPiJ.jpg

Well, it would be kind of crummy to replace one under-used parcel of land (flower exchange) with another (parking lot), i think. Not much benefit to South End, no?

PS. Whispers on the street say it is the Epstein Group that is buying the flower exchange. My guess is they'd want mixed-use? Or, given their Celtics relationship, a stadium? (LOL.)

Traffic is abysmal now and the Purple Line + Green does not in any way support he capacity needed here for another stadium.

Soccer stadiums tend to be more Garden sized (~18,000) than Fenway (~34,000) or Gillette (~70,000).

Soccer stadiums tend to be more Garden sized (~18,000) than Fenway (~34,000) or Gillette (~70,000).

Correct. 20k-25k is what we are hoping for.

Also, I too would like to see the Flower Exchange site go dense & tall. My longing for a parking lot is solely for selfish stadium reasons.

Back