New Red and Orange Line Cars

I USED to use AOL. That was many years ago, and it was dial-up. Don't like it and won't ever go back to it again.

But we'll just have to wait & see what else pops up with this ongoing snafu. I just hope that they can get it together & play it safe. :cool:

Put it service. Still better than what we got now.

I like how the model already has a piece broken off. Not foreshadowing, I hope.

Put it service. Still better than what we got now.

A LOT better!

The much older existing cars on both lines have since worn out their welcome eons ago. A fresh new change has been a long time coming.

The older cars are literally falling apart. They are in the repair shops more times than you can imagine. I'm surprised that the HVAC system still works on them.

Why on earth does it take so long to replace old dilapidated ancient decrepit rail cars that look like Relics of the Dinosaur Age? One answer could be that it has taken so long to even get the ball rolling on the process. The old Pullman cars on the Red Line that debuted in '63 were still in use when the newer stainless steel cars were put in service around the mid '90s. Shame! :confused:

A LOT better!

The much older existing cars on both lines have since worn out their welcome eons ago. A fresh new change has been a long time coming.

The older cars are literally falling apart. They are in the repair shops more times than you can imagine. I'm surprised that the HVAC system still works on them.

Why on earth does it take so long to replace old dilapidated ancient decrepit rail cars that look like Relics of the Dinosaur Age? One answer could be that it has taken so long to even get the ball rolling on the process. The old Pullman cars on the Red Line that debuted in '63 were still in use when the newer stainless steel cars were put in service around the mid '90s. Shame! :confused:

Although I have switched to the Red Line daily, when I do take the Orange from time to time, I swear there are rust holes now big enough to see through in the bodies, heh.

Although I have switched to the Red Line daily, when I do take the Orange from time to time, I swear there are rust holes now big enough to see through in the bodies, heh.

Carbody corrosion is a problem on those 1979-81 Hawker-Siddeley cars on Orange and formerly Blue. The Orange 01200's have held up way better than the Blue 0600's which were exposed to salt spray from the ocean all those years of service, but the aluminum on both those series have fared much more poorly than the decade-plus older Pullman 01500/01600's on the Red Line.

This was the big reason why a full-on midlife overhaul of the Orange fleet and rebuild of 24 Blue Line cars for continued duty on Orange as expansion fleet proved too much more expensive than waiting longer to buy all-new.

The ones on the Orange Line are so eaten up with rust that they leak during a heavy rain!!! Some of the seats get all wet, just like they did on the old Blue Line cars.

I thought that the plant would have TWO floors.

It DOES seem to be going up pretty fast!

The sooner that it's done, the sooner the new rail cars can start being made, and the sooner we will see those much older cars be put out to pasture.

Last edited:
Yay topping off! (and ahead of schedule!)

via @MassDOT:
https://twitter.com/MassDOT/status/768842036397150208

Cqt5wcBXYAALbvS.jpg:large

Great to hear! I wonder now, if CRRC has started making the car bodies yet.

You mean that these are not the final designs yet?

From what I can tell, the outside seems pretty set, but I don't think anything on the inside has been released as final. Also, I haven't seen any articles that the actual mechanical specs/designs are done, either, and the T does seem to love to throw in curve balls in specs.

An article in the Globe a few weeks ago mentioned that LCD screens would be inside the trains (for ad revenue), but this made me wonder if this also will double as a bit more of an interactive map for each train.

Back