New Red and Orange Line Cars

Neither the Orange, Red, Blue or the Green Line railcars had their fronts painted in black that I know of. :confused:
...meanwhile in NYC their new cars all have black faces, and so will our Red and Orange fleets entirely.

Last edited:
Re: Red Line Headways

The increased Red capacity (from 13 tph to 20 tph) was due to a mix of better braking (improved speed between stops) and shorter dwells (better loading/unloading from wider doors)?

I'd been under the impression that the shorter dwells involve magic asterisks.

Has the T published anything clearly indicating whether the 1800 series trains currently have shorter dwells than the older Red Line trains? (I thought I'd seen a rumor that the 1800 series trains do have shorter dwells, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything authoritatively confirming that.)

Has anyone looked carefully at whether the platforms and staircases at Park and Downtown Crossing and South Station (and platforms and ramps at Harvard) are going to be wide enough to make 20 trains per hour happen?

Should the T look at reconfiguring the underground concourse at Downtown Crossing on the Orange Line level to the east of the Orange Line platforms to have more of that concourse inside fare control, so that more staircases between the northbound Orange platform and the Red Line level will be entirely inside of fare control to provide more stairway capacity to facilitate transfers? (Or could we just decide to fund the T entirely with an increase in progressive income taxes, instead of the current regressive fare collection system which has all sorts of awkwardness and inefficiency?)

I think the FMCB report on dwell times had a general number on acceptable dwell times that was assumed to apply to all stations, but does the Harvard curve create any constraints that mean that the doors open time needs to be shorter at Harvard than elsewhere in order to prevent Harvard from defining the overall Red Line headways?

I also expect that from the perspective of ridership growth, incremental headway improvements from 4.5 minutes to 4 minutes to 3.5 minutes to 3 minutes will likely make sense, and presumably that means first phasing in bigger doors through the retirement of the 1500-1700 series trains, then phasing in bigger doors by retiring most of the 1800 series trains, then removing all of the 1800 series trains from the yards entirely, then adjusting the block spacing to fully take advantage of the better braking, and then improving station circulation. On the other hand, Downtown Crossing concourse reconfiguration might be something that could be done sooner than the first of the new trains will be delivered.

English is a difficult language to learn when your first language is Chinese hahaha

Yeah, after all, the co is Chinese, & the stainless steel shells will be coming from China. Hah! :oops:

Media & admin got a tour of the OL mockup:

https://twitter.com/gintautasd/status/844217298844078083

Gintautas Dumcius‏ @gintautasd 22m ago
#mbta New Orange Line car

C7dDJvoXgAY-r1U.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/gintautasd/status/844223106432622593

C7dIbT7VwAAw1qT.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/JoePesaturo/status/844217392297336832

Joe Pesaturo‏ @JoePesaturo 24m ago
Look who's checking out the mock up of new #MBTA #orangeline car!! @gintautasd

C7dC0hgVwAAkzMJ.jpg:large

C7dC3M7V0AAs4Te.jpg:large

C7dDOZMU0AAM7ol.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/JoePesaturo/status/844222270772076545

C7dHqigU0AEpQE6.jpg:large

The transparent panel between the end seats and the doorway area is appreciated. I find it disturbing when I'm sitting on the end and somebody leans against the end panel pressing their butt cheek into my shoulder.

WOW!

It looks even more striking up close in detail! Boy! I'm pretty certain that ALL commuters who ride the Orange & Red Lines will certainly appreciate this warm welcome change that that's in store for those 2 lines!

Does anyone know for sure if this luscious mockup will ever go on display for the public to see? I certainly would love to see it in person! :cool:

WOW!

It looks even more striking up close in detail! Boy! I'm pretty certain that ALL commuters who ride the Orange & Red Lines will certainly appreciate this warm welcome change that that's in store for those 2 lines!

Does anyone know for sure if this luscious mockup will ever go on display for the public to see? I certainly would love to see it in person! :cool:

I've heard it will be on display at City Hall Plaza in Boston April 3rd to April 5th.

In my opinion, it all looks fine. Nothing game changing here. Certainly better than what we have. I like the seats. I feel like it would all look better if the poles were chrome instead of yellow. It just looks weird with the orange.

The one thing that I'm really not a fan of at first impression is the destination board....
C7dIbT7VwAAw1qT.jpg:large

I would have preferred to see something similar to what's on the NYC MTA's newer subway cars...
PartialviewofdigitalstripmaponanR16.jpg

The one thing that I'm really not a fan of at first impression is the destination board...

I'm hoping it's just beta software. Needs a lot more refinement from a graphic design & functionality standpoint.

The NYC-style boards aren't really needed in Boston because the lines only go to so few places. You could maybe make the case for Red with Ashmont vs Braintree, but really the best place for a robust next stop/destination board is on GL Type 9 & 10 vehicles.

Be glad that we are getting SOMETHING.

Any improvement over the present dilapidating ancient dinosaur falling-apart trains will be a lot better than what they got now.

I'm pretty certain that a lot of commuters will be so bloody glad to see this equipment put out to pasture! :cool:

I think the new cars look so cluttered. Everything inside is so bulky. The windows are much smaller too and the destination displays are gigantic on them.

I'm just glad they didn't do anything stupid like front/rear facing seats. I've always thought our trains were laid out simply and efficiently and that has been preserved.

The large internal displays are helpful. The larger exterior display seems a bit excessive, especially for the OL.

Back