New Red and Orange Line Cars

Soo uhh how bout these full trains of Red Sox and Bruins fans? Was on Red, Green and Orange and they were all packed for both games I went to this week - new trains will have plenty of customers waiting!

Dominus, You don't see it, I won't comment on it. You'll have to figure it out. :(

Last edited:
Tell me something; How would YOU feel waiting for years & years, I mean, we're talking decades here, waiting for new trains to be tested here, & finally, they are introduced into service. Everything seems to be going fine, then they are taken out of service because of a problem, come back for about a month, but are gone again because of a different problem, come back in service for another month, but are gone again. In the meantime, other cities get new trains and they seem to be fine. But the ones in Boston aren't on the line yet because they keep on being plagued with problems. But we're still riding decades-old equipment that has been in service since Your children were born 45 years ago. How would you feel? Not very proud, I bet. :(
How would I feel? I can tell you how I feel, and that's a bit disappointed while optimistic. You're acting like this premise is new to the MBTA, when it's not. If I say "Breda" or "LRV" to anyone remotely knowledgeable about historic procurement, and the associated issues that have come with it, they'd tell you this (general premise) has happened before...so let's not act like this necessary "extended use" of the legacy fleets hasn't happened over & over.

You state, "other cities get new trains and they seem to be fine", without citing any city, any manufacturer, or any of the infrastructure such new rolling stock is utilized on (which is important when comparing specification & ROW requirements). Unless it's significantly comparable to Boston's needs (and it's likely not), then there isn't a nameless comparison to be made.

Dominus, You don't see it, I won't comment on it. You'll have to figure it out. :(
The definition of "forum" (which is what we're all on) is as follows: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

Yet, your last contribution is "you'll have to figure it out"?! Nobody has to do anything of the sort, especially when there's nothing to "figure out". That's a cop-out response, provided as a result of no actual substance existing.

On a separate note (and to actually contribute), would anyone have an estimate as to the duration of the side bearer pad investigation completion? I understand, it's a bit of a "loaded question", but would anyone have insight if it's largely anticipated to take weeks, a few months, etc.? Experienced minds are appreciated on this one. Thanks.

Dear readers, if you judge a particular other user is not enhancing your forum experience, please try the “ignore” button. [click the user’s icon, then their ignore button]

I became a Mod partly to try so we could have highly contrasting points of view while not letting the friction drive us nuts

I find that the ignore feature works in an unintended way. Since the UI tells you why there’s an “ignore” placeholder, it doesn’t really mute a voice, rather it absolves me of any impulse to get upset or to respond.

Last edited:
Jahvon, I hope you do stick around on ArchBoston. I enjoy your posts.

Thanks!! People probably hate me here because they may think that I'm not making sense, but even though I don't like what keeps on happening with the new trains, it doesn't mean that i don't like them. It's just the MBTA doing stupid things. :(

Dear readers, if you judge a particular other user is not enhancing your forum experience, please try the “ignore” button.

I became a Mod partly to try so we could have highly contrasting points of view while not letting the friction drive us nuts

I find that the ignore feature works in an unintended way. Since the UI tells you why there’s an “ignore” placeholder, it doesn’t really mute a voice, rather it absolves me of any impulse to get upset or to respond.
WOW Arlington, I had no idea this existed! Thank you so much for providing this detail. "Serenity, now."

I’m not sure what I’m not seeing. The lack of new trains? I see that. The continual problems? I see that, too. I see all sorts of things that I could get upset about, but I choose not to.

Is that a problem?
Third Rail: Not A @#$% Armrest

No, it's not a problem. I mean, of course it's not a great thing when something other than a third rail shoe ends up making contact with the third rail, and the byproduct of that is going to be a moderate-sized flash because it's 600 volts and that's a lot of volts. But derailments are a thing that statistically happens, so all of the exterior-facing components on any rail vehicle are supremely-well grounded. There's no big danger...just a one-and-done light show before some circuit breaker is tripped.

Third rail flashes happen "normally" when a shoe scrapes off little bits of debris, and a shoe actually breaking off in-transit (a typical and permissible failure mode, since third rail shoes are 'consumables') will sometimes create a quite large flash by its lonesome. The flash in the vid is from the carbody getting hit and thus shook out slightly smokier, but honestly that's comparable in size to what kind of flash you can get with a single shoe committing hari-kari in-transit.

The only somewhat concerning thing the video shows is the car smacking the switch box pretty hard. We knew that happened because the very first accident pics showed the scrape on the side of the car, but that was a fairly pulverizing hit that might get them thinking whether to place the bungaloes a little further away in the future.

https://www.masstransitmag.com/safe...ent-that-sidelined-springfieldbuilt-crrc-cars

T acknowledges that the switch's deficient age/condition probably played a role in addition to the previously ID'd truck/bearing issue. Specifically no-no'd the lack of guardrail on that switch, which lacked it because it was such a seldom-used switch. Again, not looking like a real good decision by someone high up to have greenlit the single-tracking revenue ops in this particular spot given what specific infrastructure was being (over)tasked pre-replacement.

Contact your bookie accordingly if you wagered your life savings on "ALL CAR FAULT". Also contact your bookie if you wagered your life savings on "ALL TRACK FAULT". Nobody placed bets on "some indeterminate Column A and some indeterminate Column B" because this self-evidently isn't a sporting event. o_O

Last edited:

Back