North Bank Bridge Pedestrian Walkway

Don't know how long it's been sitting there.
5881804474_6b47157f80_b.jpg

5881804244_5f258f6b8b_b.jpg

Sorry I can't tell what you mean - what's sitting there?

The steel support/railing thing that supports the future pedestrian bridge's structure.

are there any artists renditions anywhere ? ? ?

Judging from the photos, it looks like the new pedestrian bridge won't allow for additional future tracks and rail bridge over the Charles River. I say this because the first full height column is being placed adjacent to the south side of the existing tracks, then will ramp down from there to Northpoint Park, leaving inadequate vertical clearance for a new rail line.

So much for building a structure with the future in mind.

So much for building a structure with the future in mind.

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river."

In complete seriousness, however, it's totally possible any future crossings to/from North Station could be buried under the Charles. After all, in that North Station/South Station rail link ever happens and has to be buried 100+ feet under the city & stations to make it work, then the tracks would probably have to cut under the river anyway.

Can you provide a more specific link? I'm not sure where to find this particular project on those pages.

A bit off the topic -- But the Chelsea street Bridge on the same YouTube is mega compelling video -- incredible 3D slow motion ballet of men and machines (perhaps some women as well?)

This is the kind of project that ought to be on one of those cable channel programs devoted to such -- Mega Moves, Build it Bigger, Modern marvels, etc

PS never did find anything on the YouTube related to the pedestrian bridge

http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdphoto#p/u/4/XUU0ISZym8Y

This stuff is adictive -- especially in full screen HD -- although if I have any criticims -- its the Krappy music -- this intiricate coreography calls out for Bach

Anyway -- even though this one starts slowly -- hang in there until they get to meshing the two giant gears
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdphoto#p/u/47/vg4dQb574l0

By the way -- there should be a separate thread for construction videos

A bit off the topic -- But the Chelsea street Bridge on the same YouTube is mega compelling video -- incredible 3D slow motion ballet of men and machines (perhaps some women as well?)

This is the kind of project that ought to be on one of those cable channel programs devoted to such -- Mega Moves, Build it Bigger, Modern marvels, etc

PS never did find anything on the YouTube related to the pedestrian bridge

http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdphoto#p/u/4/XUU0ISZym8Y

Nothing built yet = nothing shot yet......

This stuff is adictive -- especially in full screen HD -- although if I have any criticims -- its the Krappy music -- this intiricate coreography calls out for Bach

By the way -- there should be a separate thread for construction videos

Bach, Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven , Vivaldi all great for cinematic flair...just not my style. Plus there is something called copyright infringement when it comes to using the musical scores of BMG and Sony and I have had countless videos deleted by youtube because of that. Fortunately I now work with a talented electronic composer who's music is featured throughout my videos and websites.
In case you didn't notice the videos are edited directly to the score...so throwing in another soundtrack just wouldn't work.....

Great Pics of the progress on the North Bank Bridge Project. CRJA is the landscape architect for the project and we're excited to see the park and bridge finally taking shape! The bridge will sneak in between Tower A and the highway loop ramps (seen best in "Briv's" last photo). Installation of the bridge began last week and we're glad Stephen's on board to record the progress!

From today...looks like the backbone is coming together.

northpoint3.jpg

northpoint4.jpg

The other end of the bridge in Charlestown- is this going to connect with the walkway adjacent to the City Square Tunnel entrance/exit and if it is hasn't that been in place waiting for the bridge for several years?

Yes, it will. Finally removing the abrupt end to that path.

Anyone interested in the details:

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/ProjectInfo/Main.asp?ACTION=ViewProject&PROJECT_NO=605726

Project Description:
BOSTON- CAMBRIDGE- NORTH BANK BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION, B-16-302=C-01-028, RIVERWALK OVER MBTA
This project consists of three main components: the North Bank Bridge, the Leonard P. Zakim Bridge Underbridge Plaza (north and south banks) and the North Point Park Expansion. The North Bank Bridge consists of a new bicycle/pedestrian bridge connecting East Cambridge to City Square in Charlestown along the Charles River waterfront. This unique and signature sinusoidal bridge will compliment the adjacent iconic Zakim Bridge and provide a much needed pedestrian connection between the North Point and Paul Revere Parks. The Leonard P. Zakim Bridge Underbridge Plaza is a designed green space utilizing existing granite to create cobble plazas and walkways to feature several art elements along the river’s edge. The North Point Park Expansion will greatly expand the existing North Point Park while providing an area for parking and ease of access for patrons. The upper area of this park will also provide a maintenance facility and an update to existing buildings to enable better management of this increased green space area.
City of Cambridge
Construction Begins: Autumn 2009
Construction Ends: Spring 2012
Resident Engineer: Robert O'Neil [Email MassHighway]
Construction Contract Value: $27,907,990.00
Construction Bid Price: $25,354,900.00
Initial Construction Estimate: $30,876,365.65

Back