North Bank Bridge Pedestrian Walkway

Slightly off the mainline -- while looking at the Charles River Conservancy site
www.thecharles.org /QUOTE]

Charles River Parklands and Parkways Commission Bill H.2029 Moves Forward

The Charles River Parkways and Parklands Commission, an initiative of the Conservancy, moved a step closer to realization on October 18th, when the Bill H.2029, sponsored by Representatives Marty Walz (Boston and Cambridge) and Jonathan Hecht (Watertown) reported out favorably from the Joint Committee on Environment, Natural Resources, and Agriculture. This bill covers the area from the Boston Harbor to the Watertown Dam and grew out of the "Post-Big Dig" vision of a bigger and better riverfront parklands, which was presented by former Transportation Secretary Fred Salvucci at CRC's 10th Anniversary event in 2010.

The Commission will bring together elected officials, municipal agencies, advocacy groups, and park and transportation professionals to enhance the parklands, calm and reduce traffic on adjacent parkways, and increase use by non-vehicular users. The Commission will be staffed, in part, by the Conservancy in collaboration with the DCR and MassDOT. Stay tuned for more information about the status of the Parkways and Parklands Commission bill as it moves toward a vote by the house and senate.

I also found this URL about a Bill to establish a Legislaive Commisssion to study non-motor-vehicular improvements to the Charles Rivers Reservation in connction with the projects to repair the vaious bridges:

n Act establishing a Charles River parkways and parklands commission

By Representatives Walz of Boston and Hecht of Watertown, a petition (accompanied by bill, House, No. 2029) of Martha M. Walz, Jonathan Hecht and others for the establishment of a Charles River parkways and parklands commission (including members of the General Court) to make recommendations for the preservation and increased use of the parklands along the Charles River. Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Bills/187/House/H02029

Slightly off the mainline -- while looking at the Charles River Conservancy site
www.thecharles.org /QUOTE]

Charles River Parklands and Parkways Commission Bill H.2029 Moves Forward

The Charles River Parkways and Parklands Commission, an initiative of the Conservancy, moved a step closer to realization on October 18th, when the Bill H.2029, sponsored by Representatives Marty Walz (Boston and Cambridge) and Jonathan Hecht (Watertown) reported out favorably from the Joint Committee on Environment, Natural Resources, and Agriculture. This bill covers the area from the Boston Harbor to the Watertown Dam and grew out of the "Post-Big Dig" vision of a bigger and better riverfront parklands, which was presented by former Transportation Secretary Fred Salvucci at CRC's 10th Anniversary event in 2010.

The Commission will bring together elected officials, municipal agencies, advocacy groups, and park and transportation professionals to enhance the parklands, calm and reduce traffic on adjacent parkways, and increase use by non-vehicular users. The Commission will be staffed, in part, by the Conservancy in collaboration with the DCR and MassDOT. Stay tuned for more information about the status of the Parkways and Parklands Commission bill as it moves toward a vote by the house and senate.

I also found this URL about a Bill to establish a Legislaive Commisssion to study non-motor-vehicular improvements to the Charles Rivers Reservation in connction with the projects to repair the vaious bridges:

n Act establishing a Charles River parkways and parklands commission

By Representatives Walz of Boston and Hecht of Watertown, a petition (accompanied by bill, House, No. 2029) of Martha M. Walz, Jonathan Hecht and others for the establishment of a Charles River parkways and parklands commission (including members of the General Court) to make recommendations for the preservation and increased use of the parklands along the Charles River. Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Bills/187/House/H02029

That seems...kind of superfluous fluff legislation. Includes the right representation of stakeholders, but doesn't define anything about how they interact with DCR or whether anyone is encouraged to meet with or otherwise pay any attention to them. This could serve some real good for traffic calming because of MIT's and Harvard's heft, and Watertown will certainly agitate for some action along the Greenough Blvd. racetrack. But to make the parklands more livable the #1 thing that has to be done is environmental remediation on the heavily damaged Cambridge west-of-Mass Ave., Allston, and Watertown banks. Every school in the city has had their environmental engineering depts. present sustainable plans, including that very comprehensive MIT-backed "official" one, and have put riverbank ties into their campus master plans. It's all been stagnating in DEP's and DCR's court for years with no signs they'll ever be motivated to acknowledge, much less act on, it. If this bill doesn't make any mention of the official administrators of the basin or any working relationship with them, what good does a blue ribbon panel do other than have meetings amongst themselves? Nobody gets so much as a nudge to listen to them where they haven't listened before.

Good idea. But would've preferred it to be worded a lot less ceremonially because there's real need for this and the universities making up half the panel could get real shit done if they had a named controlling party to interface their resources with.

That seems...kind of superfluous fluff legislation. Includes the right representation of stakeholders, but doesn't define anything about how they interact with DCR or whether anyone is encouraged to meet with or otherwise pay any attention to them.

...If this bill doesn't make any mention of the official administrators of the basin or any working relationship with them, what good does a blue ribbon panel do other than have meetings amongst themselves? Nobody gets so much as a nudge to listen to them where they haven't listened before.

Good idea. But would've preferred it to be worded a lot less ceremonially because there's real need for this and the universities making up half the panel could get real shit done if they had a named controlling party to interface their resources with.

F-Line -- If you go back into history -- everything done to the Basin has been preceeded by such a Legislative Blue Ribbon Commission.

Since there is money in the pipe to refurbish / rebuild the various bridges -- it is important to make sure that not only the bridge but its surroundings is included in the project plans -- such as walking trail underpasses. Note that the bridges are going to go out for bids soon under the Accelerated Bridge Repair and Replacement Program -- the window to act is closing rapidly.

davidrendering_000.jpg

It might be 50 more years before there is such an opportunity to improve the Basin's recreational / pedestrian commuter useability.

Today I could seem they've been installing the handrailings on the eastern side. Hopefully this thing won't fall victim to a winter lull, this should be open for the first of the good weather!

Today I could seem they've been installing the handrailings on the eastern side. Hopefully this thing won't fall victim to a winter lull, this should be open for the first of the good weather!

Great weather today, but no construction action on the site. Handrails were visible on the main span (viewed from the EF side).

It looks like there's been continued (small) progress on the bridge: yesterday I saw that they've installed the vertical supports for the bridge's railings (no horizontal railings or wires yet) and seem basically done with the vertical elements on both sides.

Since I was passing under the bridge by train, I couldn't determine what the state of the decking surface was.

In the last 2 weeks, they have made progress on the side railings, and have strung the horizontal wires between the vertical supports. To finish the railings, I think two things remain: 1) to put the top rail on (presumably smooth and continuous, so you could gently rub it if your bike got too close, without snagging) and 2) to tighten the ten strands of horizontal wires (they seem loosely strung now).

Beyond that, it seems like there won't be much more they must do before they can open it, with the Cambridge end looking structurally done (just a bit "construction site-y)

Good to see they're still working throughout this weird snow-free, mild-ish winter. It ought to be ready to go for start of spring at this rate.

Good to see they're still working throughout this weird snow-free, mild-ish winter. It ought to be ready to go for start of spring at this rate.

F-Line -- the N. Point pedestrian / bike bridge progress seems to be paralleling the progress on the pedestian / bike overpass at Mem Drive in front of Microcenter

I wonder if the same construction team is involved

Sunday, when I went under the Mem Dr. overpass the railings were almost fully installed

F-Line -- the N. Point pedestrian / bike bridge progress seems to be paralleling the progress on the pedestian / bike overpass at Mem Drive in front of Microcenter

I wonder if the same construction team is involved

Sunday, when I went under the Mem Dr. overpass the railings were almost fully installed

Update on the bridge -- from a Globe article on the skate park

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/charlestown/2012/02/charles_river_skatepark_still.html

" The North Bank bridge, which links North Point Park to Revere Park in Charlestown, will be completed in June, von Tscharner said. "

June? Here's hoping that's either the final signoff after opening or the original schedule before the mild winter. Just like the T has plenty of projects that are open but still listed as in "Construction" phase. I just don't see 4 months worth of work out there....

June? Here's hoping that's either the final signoff after opening or the original schedule before the mild winter. Just like the T has plenty of projects that are open but still listed as in "Construction" phase. I just don't see 4 months worth of work out there....

I was up close in personal there an hour ago; that sucker will be open by Evacuation Day

I was up close in personal there an hour ago; that sucker will be open by Evacuation Day
Glad you agree it seems pretty ready. I've only seen what I can see from the commuter rail (which is good from all angles except end-on looking at the decking). What did you see that impressed you?

If I had to pick an opening, I'd hope for April 13, clear of the snow season, and in time for Marathon Weekend.

Any news on the other two bridges that are eventually supposed to be built? One (a drawbridge) across the Charles River next to the railroad tracks, the other across the tracks on the south bank?

Glad you agree it seems pretty ready. I've only seen what I can see from the commuter rail (which is good from all angles except end-on looking at the decking). What did you see that impressed you?

If I had to pick an opening, I'd hope for April 13, clear of the snow season, and in time for Marathon Weekend.

Landscaping essentially done on both ends; crew installing main railings

Any news on the other two bridges that are eventually supposed to be built? One (a drawbridge) across the Charles River next to the railroad tracks, the other across the tracks on the south bank?
I've seen never anything more than conceptual arrows for either on those "circulation diagrams" they make with circles and arrows. But was the circulation on Causeway St and was there a pedestrian draw? We've discussed new RR bridges elsewhere. Any new bridges would presumably have to wait until these two issues are settled:

1) The fate of the Spaulding Rehab site needs to be determined. I've read that their Charlestown building will be "done" in Dec 2012, so let's say they vacate Nashua St by Dec 2013...what will the buyer of the parcel want? (was the ground underneath leased or owned? I think at Railroad.net we decided it was owned.)

2) Also hinging on Spaulding moving-out is the future of additional tracks at North Station (that today would have to pass through Spaulding's cryo tanks at a minimum, even if you could thread them around the building).

The past couple days they've been lifting "sheets" of pavers (I think that's what they are) off of a barge in the Charles, which I assume are being placed along the length of the bridge. Also, the actual railing (not just those steel cables) has been installed today (or at least, I never saw it yesterday, that's for sure).

I've seen never anything more than conceptual arrows for either on those "circulation diagrams" they make with circles and arrows. But was the circulation on Causeway St and was there a pedestrian draw? We've discussed new RR bridges elsewhere. Any new bridges would presumably have to wait until these two issues are settled:

1) The fate of the Spaulding Rehab site needs to be determined. I've read that their Charlestown building will be "done" in Dec 2012, so let's say they vacate Nashua St by Dec 2013...what will the buyer of the parcel want? (was the ground underneath leased or owned? I think at Railroad.net we decided it was owned.)

2) Also hinging on Spaulding moving-out is the future of additional tracks at North Station (that today would have to pass through Spaulding's cryo tanks at a minimum, even if you could thread them around the building).

Arlington -- the Spaulding issue is tied to the adjacent parking lot and the other lot next to the tracks -- all 3 are "owned" by Partners -- they clearly want some parking in the area -- so my guess is that a deal with a private developer and possibly the DOT would involve some land transfers and some guarantee of parking in exchange for the land where the current Spaulding is located

In the hypothetical world -- P.O. Square type development;
1) 1 or two fairly thin towers at Spaulding
2) reservation for track ROW
3) extension of the "new Esplanade" between the towers and the Charles
4) additonal development at the Lot by the Tracks
50 underground parking somewhere in the midst -- taking ino account the complex of ramps and such associated with the Big Dig

My guess is that it will take the rest of this decade to work out such details after the New Spaulding opens in 2014

Hey! I found a Boston.com graphic from 2007 with the bridges you cited above. Whereas the Cambridge-Charlestown bridge is only tagged "intial contract bids too high" the bridges over the Mystic and over the stationside tracks are tagged "Planning stalled" on that graphic:
1196012042_1712.jpg

Source:http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/11/25/big_dig_parks_graphic/

Back