North Bank Bridge Pedestrian Walkway

Yes, it will. Finally removing the abrupt end to that path.

That "path to nowhere" has been a thorn in my side for a long time, a complete waste of money buying those unique light fixtures just to see them waste away unlit and unused.

A different way to look at it is that the path was built with the expectation that it would eventually be extended, just as the South Cove (now Tufts Medical Center) Orange Line station waited over a decade to be used.

today
008-26.jpg
009-29.jpg

Sinuous. Slinky. Serpentine. Can't wait to walk across this.

northpoint_park_bridge_nov_11_8.jpg

northpoint_park_bridge_nov_11_5.jpg

northpoint_park_bridge_nov_11_6.jpg

northepoint_park_bridge_nov_11_1.jpg

northpoint_park_bridge_nov_11_3.jpg

northpoint_park_bridge_nov_11_2.jpg

northpoint_park_bridge_nov_11_4.jpg

northpoint_park_bridge_nov_11_9.jpg

Bike path that will connect with it:
northpoint_park_bridge_nov_11_7.jpg

If this country wasn't borrowing 40 cents on the dollar I'd say 100% this bridge is cool as hell, but in the context of budget cuts, painfully I got to call it what it is... pork. There is already a way to get from East Cambridge to Charlestown on foot. And again it looks really cool, but it costs extra money to make a bridge have the structural strength to carry freight trains when all it will bear is a trickle of people.

If this country wasn't borrowing 40 cents on the dollar I'd say 100% this bridge is cool as hell, but in the context of budget cuts, painfully I got to call it what it is... pork. There is already a way to get from East Cambridge to Charlestown on foot. And again it looks really cool, but it costs extra money to make a bridge have the structural strength to carry freight trains when all it will bear is a trickle of people.

Yay, more politics! This is where I explain how injecting cash directly into the U.S. economy is exactly what we need right now, that the debt is the least of our current worries, etc. Then someone responds by implying that I am a Keynesianhereticommunist. Could we maybe, just this once, focus on the bridge design, which is pretty great?

This bridge design is pretty great you guys.

Are they going to get the bridge deck done by winter, or is it only steelwork finish-up until Spring?

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg

Will this path always lead to nowhere?
IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

I am thinking of moving to charlestown and the only reason i am giving it serious consideration is because with this bridge i would be a awesome 10 minute walk from my office in east cambridge. crossing the tracks and the North Point Park for a commute gives you plenty to look at. Can't wait for it to open. Spring 2012?

I was in East Cambridge earlier today with a client looking at the new apartment projects located in Kendall Square.

I highly recommend you consider them if you're of means to afford them ($2,750 for a one-bedroom and up).

I highly recommend you consider using me as your agent if you do.

I am thinking of moving to charlestown and the only reason i am giving it serious consideration is because with this bridge i would be a awesome 10 minute walk from my office in east cambridge. crossing the tracks and the North Point Park for a commute gives you plenty to look at. Can't wait for it to open. Spring 2012?

Choo -- not sure if you are a mountaineer by avocation -- but think about crossing that bridge when it's frozen solid ice with freezing rain or sleet blowing horizontally in the mid winter -- you will be exposed on the new bridge just like a ridge above treeline -- no cover -- Remember it will be winter -- just wait

As John suggested -- live in East Cambridge or Nothpoint and walk on real sidewalks to work and then take advantage of the new pedestrian bridge for exercise and recreation as conditions suggest

Last edited:
^Dude, in the winter I trek around Boston and Cambridge with a thick NorthFace coat and I know the above person can do so if he wants to stay warm. Oh yeah, and as long he has water proof and warm boots he'll be fine. You know, some of us like hiking to get to work.

It's much worse than my current walk from the north end over the bridge. The area next to north station is one of the most crazy wind tunnels in the city.

For some reason I thought the bridge was going to have glass walls where it crosses the tracks. the current set up seems to have very wide openings, so much so that a kid could fall through. I think that would block the wind, if that's in fact what they do.

Walking wise, I get pretty bundled up and put my head down.

A time-lapse video of the one-site placement of the bridge's sections:

Need to be able to see the URL -- embedding it as a postasge stamp does a disservice to the video

ww.youtube.com/
watch?v=5xxTBEI1390

Warch it in full screen mode if your bandwith supports it -- this is a most impressive construction video

Last edited:
Here is an interview with the Bridge's planner (broken into two videos) as posted on YouTube:

To see these in full screen mode
append the /watc.... to the YouTube main UR ( www.youtube.com )
Part 1 Historical Background of the site
/watch?v=AzoT3iWqNcs

Part 2 Design & Construction of the Bridge
/watch?v=JDLgK4HndBE

Slightly off the mainline -- while looking at the Charles River Conservancy site
www.thecharles.org

http://www.thecharles.org/Maps.html

I found this interesting mapping URL

http://www.mapjunction.com/places/Open_BRA/flash/flash4.pl?save=gknight,1164143376

Back