NYC Architecture and Development

Here are the current crop of NYC buildings (built and u/c) sorted by official height. Note that I don't think 45 Broad Street is u/c and it shouldn't be on the list.

On my gravestone you'll see the epitaph "Spires shouldn't count."

1641405365554.png

Note that I don't think 45 Broad Street is u/c and it shouldn't be on the list.

45 Broad St is still on hold and not under construction, but damn do I wish it was. Another supertall in FiDi aside from the WTC would be awesome.

Too bad 80 South St is seemingly not happening.

this is huge news. The governor is throwing's her weight behind what used to be called the Triborough, now called the Interborough express because its only the parts in Brooklyn and Queens.

Pencil towers: the Good, the Bad, the Ugly
Why New York’s Billionaires’ Row Is Half Empty

this is huge news. The governor is throwing's her weight behind what used to be called the Triborough, now called the Interborough express because its only the parts in Brooklyn and Queens.

New MTA document explaining proposals
https://new.mta.info/document/72081

I mean, its better than BIG's... but a downgrade from the original. The sloped roof must've had some hefty prices associated with it, considering this is essentially the same floor plate.

Those randomly spread-out pockets with trees-that-will-never-grow will surely have some rough winds slamming into the corners there too, but the image...

EDIT: Does this have a higher roof height than 1 WTC?? The original design had a nice cascading effect with the heights of the towers, and its lost here: 2 WTC takes the top of the hierarchy now...

Why cant they just go back to the original wtc2 concept with the diamond roof?

1. The base of that tower is literally already built
2. EVERYBODY likes that tower the best. Its a no brainer.

Developers these days are stupid. Its almost as if they have too much of everything, too much tools, too much programs, too much people deciding things, too much money, too much of everything but common sense. Its like they get overwhelmed by all of the resources and too many ppl are involved and it just makes everything design by committee. One guy/girl needs to just say were building the original and thats that.

I'm getting big One Bryant Park vibes from that entry rendering.

Overall I give it a resounding "meh". I would agree that losing the sloped diamonds was a big downgrade.

EDIT: Does this have a higher roof height than 1 WTC?? The original design had a nice cascading effect with the heights of the towers, and its lost here: 2 WTC takes the top of the hierarchy now...

According to the Yimby article:
"the highest point estimated to rise around the 1,350-foot-tall mark"

The roof height of 1 WTC is listed as 1,368ft, so effectively the same height.

Theres actually an even better 3rd option come to think of it. Everyone knows the diamond roof tower is the best of the proposals, but the real best option has been obvious the whole time and hasnt been proposed

Of course Im talking about twin freedom towers.
yEG66Ml.jpg

I think a lot of ppl were disappointed when they decided not to rebuild the twins. It seemed like a bad idea at the time and even with 20+ years of hindsight it still does. The twin towers were arguably the most iconic buildings in history. Its crazy that they talked about “wont let the terrorists win” “build back stronger” bla bla bla and then drop a whole lot of average in place of the world icons.

After alllllll these years its pretty crazy that its still not too late. Kind of crazy. I think with enough time now having passed, and with time to see how non iconic the rebuild has been (esp when value engineering the spire) its time to properly rebuild the right way. Bring back the twins and bring back the worlds most iconic skyline silhouette!!

Last edited:
Skyscrapers*

I wouldnt call the pyramids buildings, theyre more monuments/tombs but regardless definitely the most iconic man made structures in human history.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20220304_182139.jpg
    20220304_182139.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • 20220304_180454.jpg
    20220304_180454.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 20220304_180933.jpg
    20220304_180933.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
Crazy. My previous Brooklyn apartment was a 6 story walkup. 52 units.

Back