Omni Hotel @ BCEC | Summer St | Seaport

Interesting. I thought this plan was nixed. Any ETA on this?

I think it withered on the vine and was forgotten about by anyone with the power to make it happen. Aside from money, there were some serious logistical challenges on the other side of the channel and questions about how to tie the line into the rest of the system in a way that wouldn't break things.

Regardless, it would be preferable if room was left to build a platform at some later date. Rails can be reconfigured. Building foundations... not so much.

With the way things are going in the Seaport, I'm not sure if that rail line will ever be used for freight.

Ground breaking today along with a lawsuit over it's name.

Bisnow article

https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/...-ground-and-gets-slapped-with-a-lawsuit-88720

That's an interesting one. I'm not fluent in trademark law, but I don't think you should be able to trademark a neighborhood name.

There is a hotel named "Copley Square Hotel" in the back bay. Also in the Back bay are Courtyard Copley Square, Marriott Copley Place, Charlesmark at Copley, the Weston Copley Place, Fairmount Copley Plaza.

So I'm don't think that naming another hotel after the Seaport should be an issue. Seems like an overreach.

That's an interesting one. I'm not fluent in trademark law, but I don't think you should be able to trademark a neighborhood name.

There is a hotel named "Copley Square Hotel" in the back bay. Also in the Back bay are Courtyard Copley Square, Marriott Copley Place, Charlesmark at Copley, the Weston Copley Place, Fairmount Copley Plaza.

So I'm don't think that naming another hotel after the Seaport should be an issue. Seems like an overreach.

By your own list, note that there's only one "Copley Square Hotel." Other hotels may reference "Copley" but they don't explicitly use the name "Copley Square Hotel." Also note that the two hotels using "Copley Place"--Marriott and Weston--are the same company. Otherwise, each hotel uses a slightly different variant of "Copley."

"Seaport" isn't the issue here, "Seaport Hotel" is. Fidelity has no issue with, for example, the existing "Aloft Boston Seaport District" or "Residence Inn [...] Downtown/Seaport." They'd likely be fine with something like "Omni Hotel at the Seaport" too; the Globe says Fidelity "suggested a slight adjustment to the name to avoid confusing travelers"--likely along these lines--but was rebuffed. "Seaport Hotel" is Fidelity's trademarked name and they don't want anybody else using it.

The fact that Omni appears to be adamant on using "Omni Boston Seaport Hotel" instead of something like "Omni Hotel, Boston Seaport" only strengthens Fidelity's case.

Last edited:
Looks like they made some changes. I like it.

Massport_Omni_Render_Overall-2B-1000x1079.jpg

By your own list, note that there's only one "Copley Square Hotel." Other hotels may reference "Copley" but they don't explicitly use the name "Copley Square Hotel." Also note that the two hotels using "Copley Place"--Marriott and Weston--are the same company. Otherwise, each hotel uses a slightly different variant of "Copley."

"Seaport" isn't the issue here, "Seaport Hotel" is. Fidelity has no issue with, for example, the existing "Aloft Boston Seaport District" or "Residence Inn [...] Downtown/Seaport." They'd likely be fine with something like "Omni Hotel at the Seaport" too; the Globe says Fidelity "suggested a slight adjustment to the name to avoid confusing travelers"--likely along these lines--but was rebuffed. "Seaport Hotel" is Fidelity's trademarked name and they don't want anybody else using it.

The fact that Omni appears to be adamant on using "Omni Boston Seaport Hotel" instead of something like "Omni Hotel, Boston Seaport" only strengthens Fidelity's case.

Maybe they should just call it Omni Boston Seaport and leave out the hotel aspect from the name. Their other location in Boston, Omni Parker House, does not use Hotel in their name.

There is the Boston Harbor Hotel, and a Hyatt Regancy Boston Harbor (not using hotel in their name). Same with Courtyard Boston Copley Square and the Copley Square Hotel.

"Work is underway on what will become Boston’s fourth-largest hotel, but lawyers are sparring over what it will eventually be named."

Which three are bigger? Marriott Copley Place, Sheraton Prudential and ????

Edit: Answered my own question:

Sheraton Pru, Marriott Copley, Park Plaza, [Omni Seaport], Westin Copley, Westin Convention Center....

It will be really nice to have a legit streetwall on that part of summer street when this is finished

Does anyone know if this will cover the highway ramps coming of D Street, or will it stop short of the ramps?

The precast in the render above looks terrible with the glass. More bad Seaport architecture. Yay.

The precast in the render above looks terrible with the glass. More bad Seaport architecture. Yay.

Yeah, I’ll agree. The render gives off all indications that it will look boring, cheap, and already outdated by the time it is completed.

Nope:
(Older scheme, but shows the site better than the NPC)
2-summer-street-hotel-site-plan.png

Does anyone know why the Transportation Center (Parking Garage) left the huge streetwall gap along D Street. Is that a developable parcel or a missed opportunity?

Not much happening three weeks after groundbreaking.

If I remember correctly Massport did not want work to start on the hotel complex until the garage, next door, was operational. That being said I would expect to see a lot more action next week (fingers crossed).

If I remember correctly Massport did not want work to start on the hotel complex until the garage, next door, was operational. That being said I would expect to see a lot more action next week (fingers crossed).

I thought the garage had already been operational for a while now.

I thought the garage had already been operational for a while now.

Been out of town for awhile and did not realize or note an update to that fact until I posted one in the SBWT Thread. I still look forward to seeing some heavy duty action in the near future.

Pretty sure that's intended to be developed. The "transit center" should be completely surrounded by other buildings at some point.

Back