Our Lady of Good Voyage | Seaport Sq Parcel H | 55 - 57 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

I think the brick work gives this building an interesting texture, but those vertical control joints totally ruin the effect. These could have been masked pretty easily by incorporating buttresses/bump outs. It just looks sloppy and not fully thought-out, design-wise, to me.

Beeline -- Great job with the photos as usual

In particular this one shows s dramaticv contrast among 3 brick structures of thrree differnet eras

In the background are the best and the worst of the bricks and in the forground the modern brick -- that is a compromise

The worst is the boilding on Sleepr St. with the Stone and Webster Logo -- here the brick veneer is just that -- it could be just as easily a sheet of concrete with some brick paterns and colors printed on the surface

The builing on the let in the backround is from an era when the brick was almost sculptural -- while no "Chadwick's leadworks" -- it still displays an inventiveness that makes an ordinary warehouse into something pleasant to look at and interesting -- who wouldn't want to see a couple of Grek Temples

The chuirch is sufficiently textured to make it less drab that the stone and Webster -- yet there is not art to it

I would disagree the texture and art on the building in the back to the left is the stonework not the brick itself I actually see more art/design in the brickwork itself on the church.

I dont think Ive ever seen brick like this where the lines carry the entire length of the structure unbroken. They spread out more as they go up the tower too. This thing looks damn good, just wait till the glass is revealed. I like that its a very dull color almost like the bricks are clay or mud. I like this a lot.

The facade reminds me of such churches as San Lorenzo in Florence, where the raw brick, waiting for the marble facade that never came, remains as the "finished" facade.

26756938154_424d67659b_b.jpg

26757905523_557435a075_b.jpg

27364360785_c74a334b5d_b.jpg

This is nice stuff. The roman brick is a nice proportion and the horizontals are "uplifting". I have to hand it to the designer who took a risk with a very typical massing and did just enough to bring attention to itself as a special place.

cca

Ps. There is a distinct 3d printed look to this building, which is coming folks .. its coming. First ... buildings that look printed and than actual printed structures.

Ps. There is a distinct 3d printed look to this building, which is coming folks .. its coming. First ... buildings that look printed and than actual printed structures.

Would love to hear more about this - new thread perhaps?

The facade reminds me of such churches as San Lorenzo in Florence, where the raw brick, waiting for the marble facade that never came, remains as the "finished" facade.
That's a fun reference!
san-lorenzo-6.JPG

The differemce in the church of San Lorenzo in Florence you have a masonry structure that would/could/should have been finished with Marble

In the Our Lady of Good Voyage -- you have the typical modern steel office block type structure which is "unfinished" with the brick -- which could almost be printed in sheets and attached

Sorry -- but if the architect wanted to do something inventive he/she? would have left the bell tower an open framework [possibly wrapped with glass] and raised the bell platform another couple of stories -- then the bell would have appeard to be floating above Seaport Blvd.

What an awkwardly small cross for such a large bell tower.

What an awkwardly small cross for such a large bell tower.
From photos I had the same judgment: it looks like a needle on a haystack.

In real life (from a day and a night visit this weekend) the proportion is oddly more satisfying (provocatively quirky, still not classically pleasing, but somehow better than in photos).

The cross looks more substantial in the renderings. Less spindly, longer crossbeam, yellower.

110714goodvoyage.jpg

It looks like the stained glass window was a victim of VE...Unless there is some fancy patterned film going to be applied to it at a later date.

It looks like the stained glass window was a victim of VE...Unless there is some fancy patterned film going to be applied to it at a later date.

I assumed that clear pane was either temporary or would have a stained glass window installed behind it.

If the Catholic Church is VE'ing out stained glass on a new church then I think it's time for all of us to just pack up and go home....

Back