Our Lady of Good Voyage | Seaport Sq Parcel H | 55 - 57 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

I'm surprised no one has commented on the trees that have been planted in front of the church!

28563705646_af4853cffe_h.jpg

27980345573_cdafb904be_h.jpg

I really like that they used copper on the roof. In 15 years its going to look like its always been there. Good to see that they have carried on the trend of planting partially matured trees here also to give it a little bit of age which is nice to see.

From pictures, the trees look like a honey locust left/north and [either a]Ginko [or flowering cherry (the tall kind)]

Sidewalk was just poured. Streetscape is getting major work today - Almost there.

all the pious and devout moving into the seaport luxury residences are gonna love this

all the pious and devout moving into the seaport luxury residences are gonna love this
Its real reason for being is the "workers' chapel" model, which is somewhat unique to Boston (partly because it was such a Protestant city at its core for much of its history until the huge wave of Catholic Irish & Italians (& smaller group of Portuguese) "arrived" socio-politically at mid-1900s)

So the worker's chapels have never been primarily "parish" churches, but rather serve a non-residential clientele. Originally, this was jobs like the (Irish) telephone operator ladies who staffed the central exchanges. These days it is:
- Service/Food/Janitoral/Security workers who have to work on Sundays but who also want to go to church (Saturday evening or Sunday)
- Professionals from wherever who find themselves working their office job on Saturday evenings or Sundays
- A cross section of social strata who attend services on weekdays and holy days.
- Probably a sprinkling of weddings where the shiny venue is a compromise/convenient/glitzy location and neither party has a strong home parish connection.

Last edited:
Cant wait to see what goes up at the old church. The renders look like a 3rd seaport square tower with tons of retail. Should be cool to find out. This looks great and adds a nice warm welcome to the area.

Do we know if the office building will have ground floor retail?

Last I heard, I believe that is going to be a Capital One 360 Bank...

Last I heard, I believe that is going to be a Capital One 360 Bank...

How boring!.. There's already going to be a Blue Hills Bank half a block away at Watermark. There's a Leader's bank at the Vertex building, and a small Santander at the World Trade Center (though that may just be an ATM, don't remember).

Of all the possibilities of new retail in the area, we get... banks?!

/rant

How boring!..we get... banks?!
The old line goes: banks only need two branches:
  • one by your house
  • one by your office.
The reality is that the majority of accounts still get opened at branches, and in cities that's branches walkable to your workplace. More than that, the Seaport, like any CBD, is going to be an area that has people who make good money in entry-level jobs and/or may be new to town after relocating from school or a minor league city. Any bank serious about the Boston-metro market *must* be there to win new accounts, even in an era where all other transactions have gone virtual.

But also know that new branches can be more interesting, particularly Capital One 360, which, at least in its original concept, looked more like District Hall than a banking hall inside:
capital-one-branch_2813.jpg

People seem to like the Capital One Cafe in Harvard Square, citing:
  • Free Wifi
  • Discounts on Cafe items for cardholders
  • An ATM that dispenses bills smaller than 20s

Back