Our Lady of Good Voyage | Seaport Sq Parcel H | 55 - 57 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Why sad? I celebrate the replacement of most midcentury stuff as progress and lament the loss of few midcentury churches, schools, Train stations or libraries. That was a tough era (either Depression, War, or a big hurry to throw stuff up) and it is reflected in its buildings.

Our Lady of Good Voyage was always a humble place. And I think this building reflects that. That said, the alucobond (that's what it looks like from Beeline's picture) next to the windows was a very bad choice.

This building has a lot of other great churches to compete against, but compared to what this replaces its a huge upgrade. Fits nice into the area too to create some street wall diversity.

What's the glass low rise behind the church?

Is there a plan to replace any of the windows with stained glass? I think this building works well, but a stained glass panel, specifically in the circular window over the front door, would really tie together the brickwork and slate roof with a "this is a church, built for the ages" statement. Maybe the church will be seeking donations specifically for stained glass after it opens?

Is there a plan to replace any of the windows with stained glass? I think this building works well, but a stained glass panel, specifically in the circular window over the front door, would really tie together the brickwork and slate roof with a "this is a church, built for the ages" statement. Maybe the church will be seeking donations specifically for stained glass after it opens?

Back in February, the timeline was given as:
2016 Summer: Delivery of finished shell to Archdiocese
2016-2017: Interior/Religous build-out
2017 Easter: Dedication

I/We have been assuming that stained glass could be set interior to the outer envelope windows during that buildout.

There are 8 fairly uninspired midcentury windows coming out of the old chapel. The new chapel has 6 windows visible. I suppose its possible they'd refit them and ask donors for 4 more? (assuming 12 symmetric openings, 6 on each side)

Come to think of it: We've never seen what the "alley" side looks like. Does it have any window openings at all?

I saw something where theyre already accepting them, for that reason of many. Are they that expensive where you can build a brand new church, with real brickwork and a copper lined roof and still be unable to afford them?

I saw something where theyre already accepting them, for that reason of many. Are they that expensive where you can build a brand new church, with real brickwork and a copper lined roof and still be unable to afford them?
I'll guess that much of the premium that BGI paid for the old building has already been deployed into the outer shell (that brickwork, copper, and brass bell)...stuff that don't move the hearts of donors.

I don't know that stained glass is that expensive (the archdiocese has a warehouse somewhere of stuff taken out of closed buildings), but it is the kind of thing that donors like giving individually.

Is there a plan to replace any of the windows with stained glass? Maybe the church will be seeking donations specifically for stained glass after it opens?

The answer is YES. Check out post #197 this thread.

29085328815_7cd87817ae_b.jpg

29085324635_d5b7c04dce_b.jpg

29085314985_b3cfcbaba9_b.jpg

Last edited:
Im a Catholic. Sorry God, but no gold, marble and stained glass = no Our fathers.

Im a Catholic. Sorry God, but no gold, marble and stained glass = no Our fathers.
I don't understand. (Was I supposed to? Help me out if I was) Note that upthread we detail that stained glass *is* coming, probably in every opening, and there's minimal gold (gilded cross) so I don't think these can/should be listed alongside marble as a "no".

But yeah: no marble, just like the Cathedral at Albi, which rocks mostly bricks and a bit of limestone.
07_cathc_drale_-_ci_tc_sud.jpg

Back