Our Lady of Good Voyage | Seaport Sq Parcel H | 55 - 57 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Im a Catholic. Sorry God, but no gold, marble and stained glass = no Our fathers.
Altar,_Trinity_Church,_Boston,_Massachusetts.JPG

Jass --- Here's some Gold [leaf] Marble and John Lafarge Stained Glass -- all your ingredients -- and yet --

the Celebrant just might be a MS -- sorry this is Trinity [Episcopal] -- but throw in an Our Father anyway just go easy on the Hail Mary

Altar,_Trinity_Church,_Boston,_Massachusetts.JPG

Jass --- Here's some Gold [leaf] Marble and John Lafarge Stained Glass -- all your ingredients -- and yet --

the Celebrant just might be a MS -- sorry this is Trinity [Episcopal] -- but throw in an Our Father anyway just go easy on the Hail Mary

That looks worthy of my visiting time

I cannot get over the juxtaposition here. Its a very bold choice to do both a contemporary read on a traditional church next to a straight up homage to Miesien Modernism. Whoever green lighted this proposal is a risk taker and in the end this is a great set of choices.

I really like where this all when. Good job whoever was involved.

cca

^^^^^^^^

Totally agree, really like this building.

I have a question...one of Beeline's pics (the 4th one above) shows an angled entrance of the stairs and I have to wonder, the landing to the lower right seems all disjointed, the granite blocks seem to be misaligned. Was this deliberate or will this be fixed? Or am I just seeing things?

I have a question...one of Beeline's pics (the 4th one above) shows an angled entrance of the stairs and I have to wonder, the landing to the lower right seems all disjointed, the granite blocks seem to be misaligned. Was this deliberate or will this be fixed? Or am I just seeing things?

Looks to me like a skateboard "grinding" prevention technique.

Looks to me like a skateboard "grinding" prevention technique.
That's how I'd read it: friendlier to sitters (and cheaper than the anti-grinding clips) if you design it into the blocks than the anti-skateboarding clips like this
161-1027big.jpg

I skateboard and if that is to prevent me from grinding down that surface it is not going to work.

I cannot get over the juxtaposition here. Its a very bold choice to do both a contemporary read on a traditional church next to a straight up homage to Miesien Modernism. Whoever green lighted this proposal is a risk taker and in the end this is a great set of choices.

I really like where this all when. Good job whoever was involved.

cca

Very true, CCA. To me, this reads like Copenhagen. I wish that could be said for everything else around it.

PS - I know this isn't completely relevant to the thread - though not sure if there is a thread on this - but one thing I think will improve this whole immediate area will be the children's park next to the children's museum (abutting Seaport Blvd). From what I hear, it should be spectacular. Coming 2017?

I skateboard and if that is to prevent me from grinding down that surface it is not going to work.

Jrubbs -- I suppose the idea of "Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you" is out of your Lexicon?

Suppose someone decided to "Grind Down" something which you particularly cherished -- then what? Your few minutes of fun shouldn't ruin the bench for some little ole granny who might come upon it well after you've left the area for good.

Skateboarders should no more be running over benches than cars should be careening down sidewalks.

Well .. if it makes you feel any better ... I do not think this is an anti-grinding technique. It think it is a design manipulation made to make it feel loose and textured.

Grind away.

cca

Jrubbs -- I suppose the idea of "Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you" is out of your Lexicon?

Suppose someone decided to "Grind Down" something which you particularly cherished -- then what? Your few minutes of fun shouldn't ruin the bench for some little ole granny who might come upon it well after you've left the area for good.

Skateboarders should no more be running over benches than cars should be careening down sidewalks.

I don't think I have ever grinded a bench or ledge and left it unsuitable for sitting. If little ole granny won't sit on a bench due to a few small scratches then I feel very sorry for her. Maybe she should seek help overcoming her severe fwp.

It's an aesthetics thing. Granite looks a hell of a lot better without greasy black streaks along the edges. You are still damaging someone's property even if you aren't rendering it unusable.

By Jrubbs flawed logic, keying/scratching a car door intentionally should be an accepted urban practice because it doesn't Leave the door for unsuitable for opening & closing, nor the car unsuitable for driving. Nor does graffiti affect the usefulness of most walls.

Sorry, Jrubbs, just as in the classic Libertarian formulation, your right to swing your arm ends at the end of the other guys nose, your right to grind ends at the edge of the other guys bench.

I don't think I have ever grinded a bench or ledge and left it unsuitable for sitting. If little ole granny won't sit on a bench due to a few small scratches then I feel very sorry for her. Maybe she should seek help overcoming her severe fwp.

JRubb -- How would you like it if someone decided in mid summer to help you ventilate by throwing a brick through one of your windows -- not a big problem -- easy to get it fixed by winter

Scratches on a bench versus scratches on private property or a broken window seem pretty different to me. Scratches on a car can harm the car by allowing for rust that is the real issue no that some paint is gone and a broken window is an issue even in summer and would have to be replaced. Scratches on a bench or ledge like those leave them perfectly functional and can still be used for their intended purpose. I have never chosen not to sit because a seat had some scratches that just seems ridiculous.

I am confused as to why people with so little concern for aesthetics are posting in an architecture forum.

Skateboard in the god damm skate park and not on church steps, or any other new development in the city.

Back