Our Lady of Good Voyage | Seaport Sq Parcel H | 55 - 57 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Isn't this a much more interesting example of how people can use places that they don't own in a generative way?

Savin Hill -- No -- unless there is an agreement with the owner of the property -- I don't care if you sneak into a cemetery and plant, tend and protect a rare and endangered species -- its still not your right to do so

Otherwise I would be an enthusiastic supporter of the Creative Destruction of the Hurley Building by passers-by taking a hammer to Paul Rudolph's already hammered brutalist exterior

Come to think of it that might be a way to raise awareness for some disease and rid the Commonwealth of an eye sore at the same time

For a small donation to the MGH disease research fund you could bring your own manual hammer and the Cape Cod Potato Chip Co., will provide empty bags. At the end of the 8 hrs the person with the largest weight of concrete chips would be awarded a years supply of Potato Chips

Got it. Property rights and potato chip bags. Good points.

The city is not just a conglomeration of property rights, deeds, and other official documents that grant exclusivity to every single speck of dirt in a given location. It's not that at all. Cities are dense overlapping interconnected social webs made up of individual agents each with their own understanding of how a particular place can and can not be used. Most of us agree to respect property rights because we believe that it makes for a better civilization, (in the Rousseauian sense), or we've been socialized to do so and haven't given it serious thought, or some even fear as Althusser might have called it the RSA, or realistically any combination of reasons. My point is not that people should go around grinding down bits of churches or painting on walls, or any of the other examples I've given earlier, it is that cities already exist in the gray zone between public and private by their very nature because they are made of mental constructs created by individuals who have internalized a wide variety of beliefs on the subject. Every single one of us does something everyday that could in some form be considered a trespass. There never will be strict adherence to an idealized lawful state. Such a state doesn't exist. This is my first point.

My second point speaks to the idea of relative value. When someone tags a wall, and trust me I find most of that stuff to be just as unsightly as you, (but that's a subjective aesthetic judgement), they are not intentionally doing damage, that is not their intention at all. What is happening is the conversion of property into social capital within their particular community (or as I phrased it above, their localized social web). This is what I mean when I describe destructive acts as generative. What is seen as defacement in your community is seen as creating value in theirs. Use value isn't a thing that exists one way or another; it clearly can differ from person to person and community to community and is often dependent on the destruction of the very thing in question.* please see David Harvey's brilliant ideas about creative destruction

All that understood, how can we best design buildings and places with that in mind? How can we accommodate other uses that will surely happen whether we'd like them too or not? More security cameras? Hostile architecture? Incorporating areas for street art? Finding ways to channel certain acts into ways we find acceptable?

Now, I understand that this is all high level theory and probably seems like a lot of nonsense to those who really just want to talk about the Our Lady of Good Voyage church. To them I apologize for the digression.

That in mind I will say that I like the uneven edge to the ledge and I find it interesting how unorthodox uses can influence design and function.

I think the brick work gives this building an interesting texture, but those vertical control joints totally ruin the effect.

Why can't panel joints be staggered to follow the brick pattern? Mortaring that type of joint would be a bit more labor intensive than a straight joint, but not a huge amount.

30371535465_46166570ed_b.jpg

^ somehow that works (I'm just an engineer, so I defer to the arch. experts)

Completely and totally works because of the start differences. Nice work.

cca

Why is there a City Map kiosk in the median strip??? Another example of the failure of the public realm planning for the Seaport...

Its an ad kiosk. The company that installs these sells ads. To justify them, they have to throw in some public benefits (map, shelter, 1 restroom)

Do I remember correctly that the outside should be done by now and that the Archdiocese should have taken delivery of the outer shell and we should be seeing new contractors fitting the interior for an Easter 2017 debut?

PS I still.dont like the stumpy steeple. It's almost like a silly homage to the unfinished tower stumps on the Cathedral.

Capital One Cafe going into the lefthand side of the ground floor.

Yeah...not convinced that this a better retail environment than newbury st.:rolleyes:

Thanks as always forthe photos!

I was worried there weren't enough banking locations.

Does anyone know when the median gets planted? That will make a difference.

Back