Overview of Residential Developments in Worcester

cubalibre

Reaction score
WBJournal had an interesting article about the 4000+ apartment units in various stages of development, ranging from proposed to nearing completion. It's not an exhaustive list - there are are number of larger projects missing - but it gives a good overview of the current projects in the development pipelines and the challenges they face. We covered most of them in this forum, so I created a table with links to the various projects and will update the list as things change.
This excludes commercial/ public/ university/ infrastructure projects in the city of Worcester, but they can be found on this interactive map.

I figured this gives a nice overview on where things stand in Worcester as of today:

Development
Apartments
Stage of Development
Boston Capital development (Table Talk)
375​
Requested extension of approvals
Alta on the Row, Mulberry Street
370​
Nearing completion
Franklin Lofts
364​
Approved (Scaled down from 415 units)
251​
Proposed
The Revington, 1 Green Island Boulevard
228​
Complete
3 Oriol Drive
220​
Proposed
225 Shrewsbury St
218​
Poet Hill Residences, Hemans Street
210​
Under construction
The Cove
173​
Under construction (Scaled down from 300 units)
Sudbury Street Lofts
165​
Complete
5 Salem Square
Cancelled
Goddard/Homestead, Grove Street (senior)
158​
3 Eaton Place
Cancelled
757 Salisbury St. (senior)
123​
Received construction financing
Lagrange Mill Lofts & 98 Beacon Street
118​
The Kiln
111​
Complete
Residences on Madison
110​
35 Portland Street
108​
Proposed
102 Temple Street (Fairway Beef)
105​
224 Shrewsbury Street
87​
Approved
Table Talk Lofts
83​
Nearing completion
Boy's Club, 16 Salisbury Street (senior)
80​
In development
3 Oriol Drive
67​
Proposed
153 Green Street (Table Talk)
43​
Under construction (Scaled down from 53 units)
Total
4075 3767

Last edited:
Great rundown--thanks for pulling this together!

A lot of ppl bitch about the 5 over 1’s, but that comes from a place of abundance. Worcester is one of those cities where everything is decades old, theres almost nothing that looks recently built. I think some new development and yes some 5 over 1’s will actually give worcester a bit of a freshening up to at least let it finally appear that some things have been built recently. Whenever you take a look around there it just appears trapped in amber from 30 years ago. I think this recent development will actually help a lot towards helping change the face of worcester as a left behind city to one that is starting to grow again. I’m definitely here for it, its been a longgg time coming.

Updated the status of the Quarterra (Table Talk) development, which is the largest of the proposed housing projects in Worcester. Several local news outlets reported that at least one of the existing properties that this project was supposed to buy are back on the market:

yes that was a shame, would have completed the block, added parking and lots of retail and an 8 story building to the area

Two more projects likely dead:

Two more projects likely dead:

They only listed one of the two it looks likr

I suspect there are going to be strong headwinds against Worcester for awhile with return to office demands in Boston flat-lining. The state is also not helping by making it hard as possible to get to Boston from Worcester by cancelling the express train. If you're a lender you've gotta be asking "Why Worcester? Can it continue to attract the pushed out of Boston by $$$$ demographic it needs for this new construction?" at this point vs any other city within 60 miles of Boston.

I suspect there are going to be strong headwinds against Worcester for awhile with return to office demands in Boston flat-lining. The state is also not helping by making it hard as possible to get to Boston from Worcester by cancelling the express train. If you're a lender you've gotta be asking "Why Worcester? Can it continue to attract the pushed out of Boston by $$$$ demographic it needs for this new construction?" at this point vs any other city within 60 miles of Boston.

If the station expansion wasn't so behind schedule we could have a already had more frequent and faster boston service. Adding more stops to the heart to hub in the meantime was a huge mistake on MBTA's part

Back