Parcel P-12 | 286-290 Tremont St | Chinatown

Re: 286-290 Tremont st | Chinatown

The old street grid is gone. I believe it was Warrenton, Pine and Oak Streets use to extend thru that block. It was orientated to the old grid.

The Doubletree Hotel, previously Don Bosco High School, previously a Boston public school was built at an angle off the street grid. Any idea why?

That was actually the alignment of Broadway headed to South Boston. Small piece of old Broadway still exists at the edge of Bay Village. Street cars to South Boston followed that alignment out of the Tremont Street portal.

Street grid in that area is all new after 1960's urban renewal. It was not a "grid" originally.

Red rover send it on over.... n change the name please.

How the hell did we get 2 threads?

Badly done.

5 day vacation.

That tower needs to go 80 feet higher.

286-290-Tremont-Street-Tower-Chinatown-Boston-Affordable-Housing-Hotel-Parking-Community-Space-Library-Millennium-Partners-Asian-CDC-Corcoran-Jennison-Tufts.jpg

I can't believe this style of building is still being proposed on the cusp of 2019

I can't believe this style of building is still being proposed on the cusp of 2019

I hate It when buildings have those things like the aluminum tabs on soda cans, but it is a whole lot of housing. Build it now please.

This is just a rant because I can't possibly think that something this cool would ever happen, but just imagine for a second...

The entire site, garage and the doubletree included, leveled. An 1000 foot tower on the site with linkage fees helping to pay for, wait for it, the entrance to the new silver line tunnel on site. Perhaps this can still happen even with the res tower, I don't know.

Just dreaming

Sigh...

It can't because...

1. The FAA height limit for this site is ~850ft.
2. Boston Common shadow laws that must be abided by.

Also...

3. The Double Tree is a really nice pre-War structure that we're not going to be able to replace with a shiny glass tower.

Well it appears they did change the 'waterside place-like' structure atop... and 350' in this area will pop.

Yea the soda can tab roof feature was the one thing people were up in arms about too so it should be good now. I didnt mind it, but a few ppl voiced their displeasure, so here you go.

New

Old
286-290-Tremont-Street-Tower-Chinatown-Boston-Affordable-Housing-Hotel-Parking-Community-Space-Library-Millennium-Partners-Asian-CDC-Corcoran-Jennison-Tufts.jpg

the base appears to have lost some detail as well unfortunately.. but hey its 100% affordable housing, lets get this thing started...

Last edited:
They also increased the available area of the community space through mezzanine planning -- which gets the proposed Chinatown BPL branch up to 14,000 sq ft.

Veee Eeee
hear that giant sucking sound.......
Get this ______ng thing u/c already.

1. The FAA height limit for this site is ~850ft.

The FAA height limit is probably around 700~725' near the Doubletree.....

Last edited:
Yea the soda can tab roof feature was the one thing people were up in arms about too so it should be good now. I didnt mind it, but a few ppl voiced their displeasure, so here you go.

It looked better with the tab thing on top. The window alignment also looks different, and the whole building seems bit more squared off. Did they also add 1 floor towards the bottom?

Back