Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is a bummer, because geographically, old quarries are the shit. So much could have been done, yet, so little is accomplished. I wouldn't have minded some really cool state/city park in an old quarry, to be honest.

Have you been to Halibut Point State Park in Rockport? That's an old quarry.

Nope, never even heard of it. Worth checking out? Or did you mean that it was a bad example?

Nope, never even heard of it. Worth checking out? Or did you mean that it was a bad example?

Most definitely worth checking out.
4615720682_62815d9590_b.jpg

4615112351_c84a04ccca_b.jpg

4615168963_e9993b9e73_b.jpg

4615206375_3958d2e251_b.jpg

4615765286_149363c1f0_b.jpg

more at http://www.flickr.com/photos/13620802@N08/sets/72157624079436802/

and in the same neighborhood you can check out the newspaper house

wow^ the city of Fitchburg has a great quarry that overlooks the city they would be smart to turn it into a park like the one above,beautiful place^ thanks for posting!

Well, it helps that the Rockport quarry is next to the ocean, which is hard to replicate in Fitchburg.

Quarries make for excellent concert venues

My oh my! That Rockport quarry is unreal! And to think all they really had to do was fill it with water.

The Granite Rail Quarry in Quincy was partially filled with dirt from the Big Dig and is now a very popular rock climbing park. It's also got some cool history.

It's an easy park for a quick visit. Literally 200 yards off Exit 8 of I-93.

not even, all they had to do was to stop pumping the water out..... evidenced by all of the great abandoned marble quarries in Vermont that are now swimming holes.

And I agree that the ocean helps, but Paris has a famous and very old quarry park in the middle of the city, Parc des Buttes Chaumont (which if ever in Paris is very much worth visiting)

YA019858.jpg

The Quincy quarries were very popular with swimmers. Also very dangerous, the sites of numerous deaths and injuries.

I worked on the project that filled the quarry. It was part of the larger Granite Links development. Before they filled Granite Rail they pumped out most of the water. Then, the State Police made us pull out cars (they expected to find one of Whitey's victims in a trunk). We pulled out 99 cars for them before they gave up (and there were hundreds of more cars in there). Never did find Whitey's victim but they did find the remains of two swimmers once the water got lower.

Apparently the state had wanted to keep the swimmers out so they dumped old telephone poles into the water. Guess what happens when a telephone pole gets water logged - it sinks one end first. So then you end up with a bunch wooden spears sticking up through the dark water. Between that, jagged ledges and all the cars it's no wonder so many kids got hurt up there.

not even, all they had to do was to stop pumping the water out..... evidenced by all of the great abandoned marble quarries in Vermont that are now swimming holes.

And I agree that the ocean helps, but Paris has a famous and very old quarry park in the middle of the city, Parc des Buttes Chaumont (which if ever in Paris is very much worth visiting)

YA019858.jpg
^ very simular to the Fitchburg quarries so it can be done!

Awesome, now all we have to to is build up the non-quarry parts of Revere and Quincy like that.

Unfortunately in comparison of government competence, Revere's makes Boston's look like a chapter of MENSA.

No, but now I want to. It's not near the Arboretum. It's behind the VA Hospital east of South Huntington Ave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back