Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
img2258c.jpg

I love this view..

We bemoan the seemingly slow pace of change in Boston, but since 9/11, there is a lot more steel and glass in this view. If you can remember back to the old days of Skyscraperguy, almost everything proposed at that time is here today. One Lincoln had just put cranes up, Millenium Place was about to open, 33 Arch was a hole in the ground, the Nine Zero was almost done, and Grandview went bankrupt after topping out. SST missed the boat (again), 45 Province was on it's 2nd incarnation, the W was a Lowes, and the Filenes debacle hadn't even begun to unfold!

We've built more than a lot of cities in this time frame... even if it takes too long, and dosn't always please our eyes.

^ one of the last pics before they closed the observatory:

BostonDT1-9-7-01.jpg

Love the two shots from such similar angles! Our World Class Waterfront has really taken off since 2001! There's a lonely office stump there now and a trailer selling clothes.

Thanks! Just lousy iPhone pics - heavily cropped. All three taken from Charlestown.

Better than most contemporary work, but I'm not particularly fond. Classical-ish, without the order and organization I love about Classicism. Someone who knows more than me: is that some version of Victorian architecture, removed from the Hamptons and placed in the city?

Vaguely French Chateau, vaguely Queen Anne, with a vaguely Romanesque ground floor. More to the point, its asymmetric 1891 design shows its spirit lies with the picturesque-romantic movement of the 1870s-80s, not the McKim, Mead & White-led classical revival of the 1890s.

Kennedy, your unfamiliarity with it stems not from it being a foreign (to Boston) style, rather that you never really see this look blown up to such proportions. It is a bit ungainly.

Wow. You are really the getting the most out of your new camera. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back