Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part VI (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sitting at home right now and things just got real ugly looking real quick. All the light off to the right disappeared in about 5 minutes.

8817490484_2442a8468e_b.jpg

Charlestown is really pretty this time of year. I could probably do a whole thread on it with the pics I got.

8853983752_21c24a42f3_b.jpg

This scene is going to be really nice later afternoon looking up towards the monument.

8854051886_08c77b7f65_b.jpg

Last edited:
I want to say Boston should standardize its traffic light arms, but I guess it has and is just slowly replacing the old diagonal arms with horizontal ones.

Not sure I like.

Nice, moody shot though.

I want to say Boston should standardize its traffic light arms, but I guess it has and is just slowly replacing the old diagonal arms with horizontal ones.

Not sure I like.

Nice, moody shot though.

I know that concentrating on getting our signals to actually work correctly is the bigger issue, but does anyone else find Bostons traffic light masts to be unusually ugly? Maybe they stand out more because of the contrast with the historic-y street lights, but it seems like they could be better looking. Maybe a coat of black paint would help?

I know that concentrating on getting our signals to actually work correctly is the bigger issue, but does anyone else find Bostons traffic light masts to be unusually ugly? Maybe they stand out more because of the contrast with the historic-y street lights, but it seems like they could be better looking. Maybe a coat of black paint would help?

Black certainly looks better. I'm not sure why they don't do it more often in Boston.

Also, I think it might be better to simply string a cable diagonally with one main light suspended in the center. A cable is much more nondescript, and you can have better looking posts for the corner stop lights.

Also, I think it might be better to simply string a cable diagonally with one main light suspended in the center. A cable is much more nondescript, and you can have better looking posts for the corner stop lights.

No way. You see this in poor Upstate New York cities and it looks cheap and hideous.

img_3618.jpg

I think it's a practice that's being discontinued due to wind issues making it unsafe, too.

If we're going to choose a less safe type of traffic light, I'd rather go back to the poles at the side of the road that don't reach over. They've maintained those in Paris for a good aesthetic reason.

i vote down painting traffic light posts black. This is an accident waiting to happen, followed by a lawsuit in which the person crashing into it claims if the pole was any other color the accident wouldn't have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back