Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part VI (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My preference is to remove the overhead masts and signals entirely, and just put the signals on posts at each corner. This works well on Commonwealth Avenue in the Back Bay, and could easily be replicated everywhere else.

^ This is what Paris does, and what many suburbs of Boston used to do until recently. I wonder if some regulation was adopted to force overhead arms.

^ This is what Paris does, and what many suburbs of Boston used to do until recently. I wonder if some regulation was adopted to force overhead arms.

I don't think there's any regulation, but I believe somewhere along the line they studied it and determined that for visibility purposes having the lights overhead is safer. My guess is it works well for the most part in Boston (and Paris) since the driving speeds are usually lower. In some instances Boston just has wacky intersections that make it difficult to have all of the signals on roadside posts.

Wacky intersections, you mean like...

MM7883_100531_13722_xgaplus.jpg

Or...

Place_Republique.png

No traffic light arms necessary.

And for something completely different. In Cambridge.

Rarely do I see a shot of Boston and really not recognize it. That's MIT looking west. I knew someone who lived in those dorms (tower). Great shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back