Pier 4 Condo Building (Former Anthony's site) | Seaport

BosDevelop

Reaction score
What an odd spot for a microwave. I am cancelling my purchase
As someone who is only 5' 8'' that microwave placement actually looks fine to me and better than on the counter or under the cabinets. But for anyone taller I could see how it could be annoying.

JANAM

Reaction score
As someone who is only 5' 8'' that microwave placement actually looks fine to me and better than on the counter or under the cabinets. But for anyone taller I could see how it could be annoying.
Drawer microwaves have become very popular recently, apparently Moms like the fact that kids can easily access them.

Shepard

Reaction score
Welcome back, Beeline!

This building is all sorts of weird, isn't it. And a lot more beige than the renders suggested ... although that’s only the starting point of my discontent.

It reminds me of Eastern Bloc architecture.

FitchburgLine

Reaction score
BeeLine is back! I don't really love this, but I'm waiting to see what the Harborwalk extension looks like

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really love this, but I'm waiting to see what the Harborwalk extension looks like
FL, this might be sooner than later. I noticed that they have demo'd the sales office at the end of the pier and seem to have begun landscaping work around the site. Hope springs eternal.

Equilibria

Reaction score
Good call, Shep. Its inspiration might be the handsome (and currently disused) Hotel Forum in Krakow.

The Krakow building is 1000x cooler.
I think it looks better in reference to the buildings around it, which are cropped out of that shot. Remember - everything around this is blue glass. This building serves as a nice contrast, if nothing else.

Beton Brut

Reaction score
This building serves as a nice contrast, if nothing else.
I agree. I've always liked the torqued and slightly sinuous form. Passing resemblance to the Krakow hotel aside, there are elements of this building that call to mind more contemporary work from Snøhetta, BIG, and Mecanoo.

I think I'd have preferred a slightly darker shade of brick, but when the building comes to life in a few months, that may not matter.

Jouhou

Reaction score
Honestly, I had shown a picture of this to my Watertown resident relative, and her response might have been the look they were going for that I had never thought of - "It looks like a cruise ship!"

HenryAlan

Reaction score
Honestly, I had shown a picture of this to my Watertown resident relative, and her response might have been the look they were going for that I had never thought of - "It looks like a cruise ship!"
And as a corollary, it kind of looks like the New Balance cruise ship building.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
^ It is just dawning on people that this Pier 4 building looks a bit like a cruise ship? What could ever possibly inspire the architect for that look?

HenryAlan

Reaction score
^ It is just dawning on people that this Pier 4 building looks a bit like a cruise ship? What could ever possibly inspire the architect for that look?
No, that was always pretty obvious. Interestingly, it also strongly resembles the new Residence Inn under construction in Roxbury.

Photo credit: BeeLine

jl326

Reaction score
No, that was always pretty obvious. Interestingly, it also strongly resembles the new Residence Inn under construction in Roxbury.

Photo credit: BeeLine
Interesting to see how Pier 4 would've turned out, more or less, with cheaper materials.

Reaction score
The Eastern Bloc reference is perfect. It’s truly hideous. Never thought I’d say it but it makes me long for more glass. At least there are different shapes and colors rather being made of concrete blocks. I thought the white brick which looks like concrete blocks purchased at Home Depot were ugly until they actually used gray concrete blocks on the crown. Do people actually get paid to come up with this?