Pier 4 Condo Building (Former Anthony's site) | Seaport

Re: Pier 4 Commercial-Condo Tower | Seaport

wtsnpu.png

Every iteration of this project just keeps getting worse. I really liked this original proposal/sketch.

I stand by my statement! So often I see such cool renderings at first and then the finished project is just so completely hideous. I'm so jaded after seeing 30 years of this in Boston. Gosh, remember the Commonwealth Hotel fiasco?

^^Agreed. That original render seemed fine.

i forgot about it for like a year, then saw the lousy late design change/s.

Seemed to become more of an arc or whatever. Given the parcel is very challenging.

i think more vertical walls and less-hideous curtain wall would have helped.

Re: Pier 4 Commercial-Condo Tower | Seaport

I stand by my statement! So often I see such cool renderings at first and then the finished project is just so completely hideous. I'm so jaded after seeing 30 years of this in Boston. Gosh, remember the Commonwealth Hotel fiasco?

Really depends cuz stuff does get worse, but lots of stuff comes out way better too. MT is much better, 1 Dalton was gonna be 500ft, Atlantic Wharf got better, govt garage was 3 glass boxes, the Pierce stayed the same but actually grew from the first proposal, the first Hub on Causeway proposal was TRASH, then like 2-3 designs later was the one everyone loved, then came the spired office, now what we have now which most ppl like. Then the other third of projects are just built as proposed.

Clearly I'm in the minority here but I think what we're getting at Pier 4 is much better than that pastel Tampa schtick from the original renderings. The condo part as built is a nice break from the overly glassy Seaport aesthetic and would be totally at home in a city like Copenhagen. It's also not quite finished yet--the wood finish on the ground floor overhang will be a nice touch if built as rendered--and the public space with the sea steps is much improved.

Not to everyone's taste, and I get that. But it's unique and contemporary, always a plus in my book.

Did anyone notice that several of the glass balcony walls are shattered? Trying to figure out why that happened. Bird flying into them?

Although I height fetish about what could have been built at this site, I agree with Lexicon. What we got looks better than that all-glass thing.

It sort of reminds me of the Radisson Blu Uppsala, Sweden. Not sure how Scandinavian modern would work here...

radisson-blu-hotel-uppsala.jpg

The cherry pickers (the two that are nearly vertical but slightly slanted) look cool - like legs, or oars... This would be an awesome structure with some pillars sprouting off of it like that....

You just reminded me I've been wondering what the technical term for those things is for years, but never think about when I actually have access to the internet. We just call them JLGs at work.

... Apparently they are boom lifts. Finally cleared up that mystery for myself, thanks for reminding me.

You just reminded me I've been wondering what the technical term for those things is for years, but never think about when I actually have access to the internet. We just call them JLGs at work.

... Apparently they are boom lifts. Finally cleared up that mystery for myself, thanks for reminding me.

JLG is a brand of man-lifts .. .so is Lull and Genie.

Also called Aerial Work Platforms.

That is just INSANE.. like bubble territory insane.. right??

EDIT: Maybe I overreacted a bit. I can't access the article and I'm guessing that the penthouse is ~3500 sqft excluding terrace space so that means about ~$14M. So I guess that's not so insane, relatively speaking. Still a lot per sqft though.

Honestly, it is nuts but if I could buy a crazy property in Boston the end penthouse here might be it. (Or the top of One Dalton). But the view from Pier 4 is really something.

^^Don Chiofaro should be in a pretty happy mood today. :) i stand by liking the glass sim-city version bettah. Glass, especially in the Seaport, pisses off the nimby's. These events keep proving what an abject failure Boston's planning of the Seaport has been. Anti-communists are cheering. Workers are putting their kids through Suffolk Law school.... Rejoice that Boston is slow; that the good times might last--because they never do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCSOsFe42P8

JLG is a brand of man-lifts .. .so is Lull and Genie.

I know, that's why I wanted to know what they're really called because I knew everyone was calling it a brand name!

Back