Pierce Boston (née The Point )| Boylston St/Brookline Av | Fenway

Re: The Point (Boylston/Brookline)

In the first render it looks like there is a building on the shaws lot. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

In the first render it looks like there is a building on the stop and shop lot. Am I wrong?

I'm assuming you mean "Star Market/Shaws", not Stop & Shop (I can't think of a Stop & Shop in the area). But to answer your question, I think you're mistaken. The first pic of rendering shows part of Fenway Trilogy across the street... and they just gloss over the unsightly gas station & Star Market in the foreground with what looks like a giant asphalt plaza.

It will be interesting to see if any effort is put towards creating some active relationship between this development (as the figurative and literal prow of the West Fens) and the Emerald Necklace. If you're trying to create an urban environment, I think some purposefully created connection is critical. I don't know what the Necklace has planned for the newly day-lighted Muddy River area here, but I suspect it will be pretty much a non-destination.

I'm assuming you mean "Star Market/Shaws", not Stop & Shop (I can't think of a Stop & Shop in the area). But to answer your question, I think you're mistaken. The first pic of rendering shows part of Fenway Trilogy across the street... and they just gloss over the unsightly gas station & Star Market in the foreground with what looks like a giant asphalt plaza.

Yeah my mistake. Will fix in the original post. and Im not sure there looks to be something to the right of it.

^^ The second rendering plops in the Skanska/Burger King proposal, though.

yeah I see that. I guess what I saw as on shaws is boylston west. It didn't read that way to me.

The gas station is right in front of the base of the building in that rendering.

Just say a report that they are going to rebrand this as "The Fleek".

Fleek? As in "on fleek"? As in "on point"? If true this just reeks of trying to look Cool and Hip.

HUH???????? I guess this is how I know I'm getting old. Also it's April 1 so remember: Don't Trust Anyone

Opportunity missed. Why do so many buildings put up in Boston these days have to be the rectangular slab of the "W' or the Millenum Tower? Why can't there ever be a spire or hat?

This building has an incomparable location to do something unique, instead it took the cookie cutter rectangular slab look.

A ROUNDED corner at the point with a tapering back as a triangular footprint (for more than just the pedestal)and perhaps a scrolling newswire board 3 or 4 floors up would have been a great and lively gateway to the area.

Almost 3 years ago in this thread, Beeline had the right idea in post #21:

Missed opportunity with the same ol' slab look.

Last edited:

Opportunity missed. Why do so many buildings put up in Boston these days have to be the rectangular slab of the "W' or the Millenum Tower? Why can't there ever be a spire or hat?

This building has an incomparable location to do something unique, instead it took the cookie cutter rectangular slab look.

A ROUNDED corner at the point with a tapering back as a triangular footprint (for more than just the pedestal)and perhaps a scrolling newswire board 3 or 4 floors up would have been a great and lively gateway to the area.

Almost 3 years ago in this thread, Beeline had the right idea in post #21:

Missed opportunity with the same ol' slab look.

Because slabs are the most efficient use of an envelope.

Because slabs are the most efficient use of an envelope.

I understand that.

But this is Boston, dammit, not Indianapolis.

Bostonians demur at things that other cities would give their left nut for - - see "2024 Olympic Refusal".

Boston is in high demand and the community and the local government can do some great things to require some architectural changes during the proposal process (a la Menino with 111 Huntington's hat).

Missed opportunity on a spectacular piece of land.

I don't know what the Necklace has planned for the newly day-lighted Muddy River area here, but I suspect it will be pretty much a non-destination.

I think that all we've seen is a watercolor rendering with some goofy forced perspective. Don't want to be to cynical, but given Army COE is apparently in the drivers seat, i think i think 'pretty non-destination' is probably the upside scenario, unfortunately...

Bostonians demur at things that other cities would give their left nut for - - see "2024 Olympic Refusal".
Rio would give their left nut for what is going on right now down in Brazil? 2016 is already becoming a human rights issue with families being forced from their homes for this sham.

I'm not happy with prospect of the Olympics coming here. Fools gold.

Rio would give their left nut for what is going on right now down in Brazil? 2016 is already becoming a human rights issue with families being forced from their homes for this sham.

I'm not happy with prospect of the Olympics coming here. Fools gold.

Replying to this in the Olympics thread

7uzJguJ.jpg

Oh snap!

Walked by this afternoon and it's torn up pretty good on the inside. I'm guessing it'll be coming down in the next few days.

Whoaaaaa! That was fast, this wasn't nearly as blocked off a few days ago.

Back