Pierce Boston (née The Point )| Boylston St/Brookline Av | Fenway

Re: The Point (Boylston/Brookline)

This thing is going to be a monster!! How was it even approved (glad it did, but damn)?

They added a mech PH to the renders. Damn, this thing soars.

The PH could use some love... it kind of looks half-assed.

This thing is going to be a monster!! How was it even approved (glad it did, but damn)?

Samuels has done good things for the neighborhood. They trust him. He's pretty much the Model Boston Developer right now.

Notice that the renders showing how fat this thing actually is were released after it was approved. The main render up to this point was that head-on view where the tower looks slim. This thing is fat, like a giant wall almost. I appreciate them bringing the massing of the building to the point, but it's unfortunate we couldn't get a little more nuanced massing. Dare I say the block might have been best split up, with a triangular tower at the point (at ~370') and then a lower tower behind it maybe around 250'. It would have stitched better into the Fenway fabric.

This building could likely become the Hancock of the Fenway quite literally and figuratively.

Last edited:

The renders also show what looks like a sheet of glass that covers huge parts of the facade at once. Like an outer layer over inside windows. Is this possible? Would look really nice if that's actually how it comes out. You see it if you look at how the reflections are rendered.

The renders also show what looks like a sheet of glass that covers huge parts of the facade at once. Like an outer layer over inside windows. Is this possible? Would look really nice if that's actually how it comes out. You see it if you look at how the reflections are rendered.

No, it's not. It's sloppy, unrealistic rendering. They likely modeled in a huge sheet of glass in front of the curtain wall system in order to get some dramatic reflections because the curtain wall itself wasn't providing the right result.

Edit: It's probably just a layer in Photoshop tbh. Looks like a simple overlay with the opacity lowered.

How do I know this? I've done it before.

The renders also show what looks like a sheet of glass that covers huge parts of the facade at once. Like an outer layer over inside windows. Is this possible?

As Datadyne mentioned, that is probably not the case here. However, I always wondered if this method was used for Torre YPF in Buenos Aires. http://pcparch.com/project/ypf-headquarters

Any chance that Gulf station across the street is next to go?

Not a chance. The owner and his brother were left several gas stations/convenience stores by their father. They make a killing by being one of the only gas stations in the area. Not to mention the amount they make off red sox parking.

Not a chance. The owner and his brother were left several gas stations/convenience stores by their father. They make a killing by being one of the only gas stations in the area. Not to mention the amount they make off red sox parking.

There's always a price. Even if they somehow got 50 cars into their gas station, they only charge $50 per game. There are roughly 80 home games per season, so that's only $200k per year from parking. They obviously make money on gas too, but it's not enough where they could reasonably turn down an eight figure offer.

Weiner Ventures could be the name of an adult film studio.

I need to grow up.

There are three gas stations on Boylston Street in Fenway, though the other two are a few blocks away. Agree that this station is likely financially well-off but I'd imagine a couple of these gas stations will be sold/redeveloped.

I think the real space for redevelopment would be the Shaw's supermarker site. Though they renovated the location so my guess is they aren't selling/leaving anytime soon.

There are three gas stations on Boylston Street in Fenway, though the other two are a few blocks away. Agree that this station is likely financially well-off but I'd imagine a couple of these gas stations will be sold/redeveloped.

I think the real space for redevelopment would be the Shaw's supermarker site. Though they renovated the location so my guess is they aren't selling/leaving anytime soon.

I could see that Shaw's (now a Star Market) going out of business once the Wegmans opens up. It wouldn't be for a few years at least, though.

I could see that Shaw's (now a Star Market) going out of business once the Wegmans opens up. It wouldn't be for a few years at least, though.

idk about that. I've been to a Wegman's and while it was nice, it wasn't competition killing. There are a lot of people who shop around too. With Star lowering a lot of it's prices in the past year, it's become pretty competitive. There will also be thousands of new residents in the area.

Can't they "make a killing" by selling the property? Gas station margins are thin and they can't be making that much on the parking 81 days a year. Even if they can park 50 cars for games (seems too generous given the size of the plot), they aren't making much more $200,000 a year and that's factoring in zero expenses such as paying the parking attendant(s), insurance, licenses etc.

man i wish there were more places left like this...
where'd you find this lavish photo?
zodiac lounge looks awesome
"good food, high spirits"

edit - from dirty old boston
10933798_981029101924551_3903980031808280913_n.jpg

nice street signs and mystic river bridge sign on left

Last edited:

I'm going to take a wait-and-see attitude towards this. I like the shape but the materials, especially the glass, are going to walk a fine line between plastic shit or subtle and modern.

Ok designers... that is sexy. Now that you have done that to me, it is on your shoulders not to screw it up. Don't be a tease. Bring this one home.

Challenge dropped.

cca

Back