Pierce Boston (née The Point )| Boylston St/Brookline Av | Fenway

Re: The Point (Boylston/Brookline)

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...os/QPcu3hiVK4HEa1VLWnPXFN/story.html#comments

I find the comments to the Globe article as interesting as the article itself. I really like this building but I definitely am in the minority according to Globe readers! :)

Wow. Comments section make my brain hurt, sometimes. People hate developers/development/tax breaks, without assessing whether a developer/development/tax break is good for the neighborhood/city as a whole.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...os/QPcu3hiVK4HEa1VLWnPXFN/story.html#comments

I find the comments to the Globe article as interesting as the article itself. I really like this building but I definitely am in the minority according to Globe readers! :)

Of course you are. Globe readers, at least those who comment, are pretty much anti-X, so if you like something, you don't fit in with that group. If you like something that is objectively cool, like this building, then the chances of agreement with the sense of Globe commenters drops to zero.

I like this one best:
Ironically, this 32 story tower is going to cast a permanent shadow onto the park land and re-exposed Muddy River project that Boston commuters have had to circumnavigate around for the last several seasons- this tower of greed is an unnecessary monstrosity!
Um, yeah, since the park is due South of the building, there will be a shadow, permanently, at all times!!!!!

If Boston is in Argentina.

Um, yeah, since the park is due South of the building, there will be a shadow, permanently, at all times!!!!!

+1,000,000. Best. Comeback. Ever.

Don't read the UHub comments either. Traffic-pocolypse is upon us, and housing costs keep rising because of these buildings. It is known.

Will be glad when this thing starts finally getting built. Also looking forward to the landmark ctr expansion, the new bike path connection, the new muddy river exposure... And maybe Fenway ctr too.

Uh yeah check your geography the park where the river is being daylighted is due west of the point building and more importantly due west of the long axis of it.

Wow. 340 feet would make it:

• the tallest building in Massachusetts between the Christian Science Center and Springfield,
  • the first high-rise (300+ feet) in Fenway,
  • the tallest building in Fenway by 75 feet,
  • the tallest building in Massachusetts outside of Downtown, West End, Back Bay, and Springfield.

Are we forgetting about the mechanicals here, or is it now going to be 340' to the very top?

R2srbJy.png

8otBiF3.png

Are we forgetting about the mechanicals here, or is it now going to be 340' to the very top?

340' (Actually 337'-2") is to the top of the highest occupied level (level 30). As you can see from the section, mech PH stretches it way above that. Rooftop mech levels are not included in zoning heights. This thing could very well be 370'-380' in reality. Don't tell the Fenway residents.

According to the shadow studies in the PNF at no point does the Point cast a shadow on the Fens.

Fair enough... I dont care about the shadows, and havent looked at the analyses but I am pointing out that the building is in a direct east west axis with the new park. I would be surprised, given that, if there is in fact no new shadow - especially in the morning - shadow studies usually look at 9AM by which point in most seasons the sun is pretty high up already - but whether there is or not isnt something I care much about. Im just being pedantic about an incorrect geographical claim.

As a separate note, I just downloaded the comments folder from the BRA, and noticed that the Audobon Circle Residents' Association actually called for a "more iconic" and bold design. While I think this will be a reasonably sleek building and yes, let's build it now, I cant say I dont agree with the Audobon group that I wish it was more daring and interesting than it is - and Im impressed that the group actually is OK with more interesting architecture in the neighborhood.

As a separate note, I just downloaded the comments folder from the BRA, and noticed that the Audobon Circle Residents' Association actually called for a "more iconic" and bold design. While I think this will be a reasonably sleek building and yes, let's build it now, I cant say I dont agree with the Audobon group that I wish it was more daring and interesting than it is - and Im impressed that the group actually is OK with more interesting architecture in the neighborhood.

It's pretty daring for Fenway, tbh.

Great to hear about the Audubon Circle Residents' Association. They should be pushing for iconic on every single project that comes to market so as to distract attention from this thing.

Great to hear about the Audubon Circle Residents' Association. They should be pushing for iconic on every single project that comes to market so as to distract attention from this thing.

This is one I walked by a thousand times without noticing, but once I did notice it, I can't unsee it. It's like someone plunked a suburban warehouse on top of a brownstone.

Ive been stunned by that for years - but, even though it's just horrible, I like the idea of capping old brownstones to add height - keeps the historic character of a neighborhood while adding density. But my word is that thing ugly. I wonder what it's like inside - wall to wall carpets and drop ceilings with stains everywhere?

It's pretty daring for Fenway, tbh.

Yeah I mean Ill take it but I do wish it utilized the "point" aspect a little more. I dunno. Ill have to see how it turns out - Im sure it will be at worst a 7.5/10 but still it could be better for this location. I think we're all just happy that something this tall that also isnt a mixed medium pile of shit is getting built here. Myself included.

Uh yeah check your geography the park where the river is being daylighted is due west of the point building and more importantly due west of the long axis of it.

Okay, that's true, some of the park is due West, but I'm pretty sure for there to be a significant shadow impact, the park would have to be Northwest. It looks to me as though a corner might be hit with shadow for a brief time in the early AM, and that's about it.

They added a mech PH to the renders. Damn, this thing soars.

Back