Pinnacle at Central Wharf (Harbor Garage) | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Aquarium is publicly NIMBY'ing this:
Help get them ratio'd.

Ah, the post-truth age, when tearing down a concrete box and replacing it with something narrower somehow "limits access". The worst part is that they don't ever have to justify this position, just as the CLF hasn't justified it when they've used that argument here and with Cronin. It's a nonsensical position, but we let them say it publicly over and over until it attains credibility. It's Trumpist from people who I suspect despise him.

I thought they had an agreement with Chiofaro...

Last edited:
Ah, the post-truth age, when tearing down a concrete box and replacing it with something narrower somehow "limits access".

I thought they had an agreement with Chiofaro...

Is there some sort of quick fact sheet somewhere - maybe in the BPDA filing - that has stats on what is being proposed in comparison to the garage. For example, the Garage covers XX Square Feet of ground space while the new tower will cover less than XX space.?

I'd love to help ratio the aquarium and the "Save Boston's Waterfront" group on Facebook," but I don't want to get caught with my proverbial "pants down" on vital stats.

Im seeing ads against this everywhere lately, facebook, instagram.. its ridiculous. Why force the garage to stay thats in everybodys worst interest?

The Aquarium is publicly NIMBY'ing this:
Help get them ratio'd.

-I called the Aquarium, asked about their logistics of the NIMBYism. After a few holds and people, I spoke to Someone named Ron about why they have so much vocal opposition to the project. He couldn't give me a solid answer. The argument is weak. He claimed it limits access to the waterfront. I told him about the huge expansion of the Blue Way and what the difference was of a tower (with less of a footprint than the existing garage)... he refuted me. He literally said the tower will 'fence off public interaction and lower visitors to the aquarium.
-I am amazed at how much they oppose this tower.
-I called Channel 5 news, and they said they will be reporting on the tweet and the open hall meeting. (Someone got to them first, in disgust of the New England Aquarium.. so Im not alone).

I apologize if my actions come off annoying, but I really dont want another disappointment in Boston. The public generally (judging by Facebook, Twitter, and talking around) seems to highly approve this project and the NEAQ seems to be 100% out of line here.

-I called the Aquarium, asked about their logistics of the NIMBYism. After a few holds and people, I spoke to Someone named Ron about why they have so much vocal opposition to the project. He couldn't give me a solid answer. The argument is weak. He claimed it limits access to the waterfront. I told him about the huge expansion of the Blue Way and what the difference was of a tower (with less of a footprint than the existing garage)... he refuted me. He literally said the tower will 'fence off public interaction and lower visitors to the aquarium.
-I called Channel 5 news, and they said they will be reporting on the tweet and the open hall meeting. (Someone got to them first, in disgust of the New England Aquarium.. so Im not alone).

I apologize if my actions come off annoying, but I really dont want another disappointment in Boston. The public generally (judging by Facebook, Twitter, and talking around) seems to highly approve this project and the NEAQ seems to be 100% out of line here.

Props to you for doing that!

It's not a mystery why they oppose the tower - they want to keep the parking spaces. They've admitted that before. That's what Ron meant when he said it would "lower visitors".

so great that you did all that. i reacted on twitter and assbook, but i didn't think to call. i'm doing my best to get out of a work dinner tonight, so that i can be at the meeting on time. i know it's already been mentioned, but all details are here -- i hope a bunch of ABers show up and help to absolutely flatten the aquarium's non-rational rationalle for being anti-pinnacle!

did they modify their post? a lot of talk about 'ratio' (here and twitter responses) so it seems like its in response to something specific that Im not seeing.

did they modify their post? a lot of talk about 'ratio' (here and twitter responses) so it seems like its in response to something specific that Im not seeing.
In Twitter parlance, a "ratio" is when a tweet gets more comments in opposition/disagreement than likes. The NEAQ's tweet is currently getting "ratioed."

got it, thanks. I was reading it as there was a specific reference to parking ratio.

Pardon my French, but: C'est putain de stupide.

Chiofaro's proposal is entirely consistent with the parameters* set out by the city for what can be built on this parcel: no higher than 600 feet, no more 900,000 gsf, and at least 50 percent open space. These parameters were set out after years of public meetings, review, and studies.

* To be sure, one of the parameters, the 50 percent open space, is a state requirement.

The Aquarium does not get another bite at the apple with respect to the city's review and approval of this project; the day and opportunity to do that has past. Opponents are free to litigate, as some have, as to whether the project is consistent with Chapter 91, bu the Commonwealth, not the city, is the defendant in this case.

If I were chairing this meeting, I would allow the Aquarium to place its comments on the record, but indicate that for the purpose of this meeting, the comments are irrelevant. The meeting is about the proposed design, not about what can or should be built there.

and so on, and so on.

Putain de stupide

UPDATE: Just received a call back from someone of the BPDA, who was very excited to see my willingness to participate in the event. If you cannot make the meeting tonight (Which I Cant, since im a few states away atm)... they said go to this comment form, since those are taken into consideration the most!

They specifically told me to gather those in support of the project to write in written support of the project below:
If you support this project, show that you like it at the link here: http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/harbor-garage-redevelopment#comment_Form

I will be filling out a comment form and I recommend you do if you support it as well. Or if you don't support the project, whatever your opinion is. So since most of us on the site want the best for Boston, our voices aren't heard as well as the angry NIMBYs are heard.

Lets try to make this happen! (Im not a height fetishist, but look at the VAST improvement and number of housing units will be constructed here! We cannot let this one slip away).

*The BPDA and affiliates remain neutral in this process and is looking for the best resolution between both parties/sides of the development. Just want to make that clear, each BPDA official has been respectful and professional regarding both sides.*

Last edited:
UPDATE: Just received a call back from someone of the BPDA, who was very excited to see my willingness to participate in the event. If you cannot make the meeting tonight (Which I Cant, since im a few states away atm)... they said go to this comment form, since those are taken into consideration the most!

They specifically told me to gather those in support of the project to write in written support of the project below:
If you support this project, show that you like it at the link here: http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/harbor-garage-redevelopment#comment_Form

I will be filling out a comment form and I recommend you do if you support it as well. Or if you don't support the project, whatever your opinion is. So since most of us on the site want the best for Boston, our voices aren't heard as well as the angry NIMBYs are heard.

Lets try to make this happen! (Im not a height fetishist, but look at the VAST improvement and number of housing units will be constructed here! We cannot let this one slip away).

*The BPDA and affiliates remain neutral in this process and is looking for the best resolution between both parties/sides of the development. Just want to make that clear, each BPDA official has been respectful and professional regarding both sides.*
Just commented, so that if it turns out that i can't make the meeting... well, hopefully it'll count for something.

Submitted:

Opposition to this project has, for years, delayed an expansion of public space at the waterfront and limited the city's housing goals. This has all been done under the guise of climate resiliency and the purported greed and stubbornness of the developer. The first is a straw man argument and the second is an ad hominem attack.

The project will support the city's green goals by eliminating a parking structure and replacing it with homes, thus taking one more step toward reducing our dependence on and addiction to cars. Likewise, the motivations and temperament of a developer should not be reasons for disqualifying a good project. Open space is open space. And eliminating a blighted parking structure from the jewel that is the Rose Kennedy Greenway shouldn't be dismissed outright because the people doing the work may run the risk of turning a profit.

Finally, those opposed to this project (the New England Aquarium and the Harbor Towers) have dishonestly tried to rally opposition. They have argued the project would decrease waterfront access, cast deadly shadows, and weaken downtown's climate resiliency. The real reason they oppose this project is because 1) it would eliminate parking for the Aquarium; and 2) it would be a construction headache in the short-term for the Harbor Towers and eliminate some skyline views in the long-term. These are not good reasons for a world class city like Boston to deny a project.

As a lifelong cyclist who looks forward to these new open spaces, a lifelong MBTA rider who looks forward to taking the T to the Aquarium when I bring my daughter, and a lifelong advocate for smart urbanity, I voice strong support for this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back