Portland - Civic Center

I actually think it blends in well with the existing structure. Looks much better in person and this portion of the renovations is by far the smallest in square footage and visual impact.

Spring Street is slightly better already

5o3Aeht.jpg

Excellent Photos Corey!

Does anyone know if Cianbro is replacing the rink floor/chilling system during the renovations to the Civic Center?
Also is seating capacity changing at ALL? Or is it losing capacity due to ADA compliance requirements? I hope they also have a revamped seating arrangement for basketball games. Once renovated the Civic Center will be perfect for a D2 or D3 mens or women final four. They just need some decent court-side seats for basketball. This would add 800 or so seats for basketball games seating capacity.

Excellent Photos Corey!

Does anyone know if Cianbro is replacing the rink floor/chilling system during the renovations to the Civic Center?
Also is seating capacity changing at ALL? Or is it losing capacity due to ADA compliance requirements? I hope they also have a revamped seating arrangement for basketball games. Once renovated the Civic Center will be perfect for a D2 or D3 mens or women final four. They just need some decent court-side seats for basketball. This would add 800 or so seats for basketball games seating capacity.
I am pretty sure nothing is being done to the rink floor/chilling sysytem.
They will be losing seating capacity due to the ADA compliance. I think the number is in the 400 + range as to the number of seats they will be losing. Also, they will be gaining the luxury suites in the corners of one end of the building.
I am hoping they will be able to host a NCAA Div. 1 Ice Hockey Regional once the renovations are done. Currently the regionals are held at 4 New England locations - Worcester, Manchester, Providence & Bridgeport, CT. They alternate locations from year to year.

The arena will lose some seating due to ADA compliance, but will have an overall net gain of 243 seats due to premium/luxury seating additions. Hockey capacity will now be 6976 which is up from 6733. I am sure they can find 24 standing spots to make it an even 7000! Basketball configuration should accommodate around 8000.

What happened?

The "suicide steps" at Center & Spring Streets is rubble in this photo. Soon after the CCCC opened these suicide steps earned their name by being too steep and not friendly to either crazed rock concert goers, or any other patron for that matter, as a result the steps were not used anymore, except for emergency exits. People were literally taking unwanted headers.

Last edited:
The "suicide steps" at Center & Spring Streets is rubble in this photo. Soon after the CCCC opened these suicide steps earned their name by being too steep and not friendly to either crazed rock concert goers, or any other patron for that matter, as a result the steps were not used anymore, except for emergency exits. People were literally taking unwanted headers.
That photo (rubble) is the opposite side (Free Street) of the suicide steps (Spring St.). They haven't demolished them yet.

On Saturday June 1st, they started taking down the suicide steps, but right away found an unexpected buried gas pipeline, so started taking down the concrete around the Center Street entrance instead.

A small garden has been planted on the Free Street side, interesting use of the space I guess:

vYEgQpd.jpg

It a potential a new location for that "Tracing the Fore" art thingy that used to be on Fore Street

Civic Center hires firm to sell naming rights

PORTLAND — The Cumberland County Civic Center has hired a firm to market the naming rights, corporate sponsorships and premium seating for the renovated arena.

Front Row Marketing Services, a division of Comcast-Spectacor, had previously worked as the sales arm of the Portland Pirates hockey team and secured the naming rights for the new Cross Insurance Center in Bangor.

{more}

I wonder which company will step up. As far as local-ish companies, maybe Wright Express/WEX or L.L. Bean?

I am all for naming rights for the Civic Center, but is it really necessary to hire an out of state firm to find a local corporation/company/business that might be interested? I think a simple "open for business" article in the Press Herald with the phone number for the Civic Center trustees office would accomplish the same goal.

Or maybe Chairman Neal Pratt could personally contact the limited list of potential suitors in the Greater Portland market that could realistically afford the price tag for naming rights and save the county some money. Example phone call: Is this the regional President of UNUM? Hey, what's up bro, Neal here, would your extremely successful, original Portland based insurance company be interested in naming rights to the Civic Center? Tennessee headquarters says No? OK, thanks anyway, I'll give LL Bean a call next".

My humorous pick would be "Renys, Maine Adventure Arena" for local branding.

Last edited:
^Good points. I think calling around part and finding companies that are interested would be pretty cheap. But the company the Civic Center is paying to find a sponsor is also going to handle the mountains of legal work associated with it and there probably aren't any companies with their experience in Maine because there are relatively few sports teams here. As far as Unum goes, I will check with my boss. I'm thinking the answer will be no. A few other possibilities might be Auto Europe and TD Bank (The Cumberland County Civic Center, Presented by TD Bank).

I concur with your point Corey concerning the administrative/legal/negotiation aspect of the process. Am just annoyed with all the outside firms that are hired to find naming rights candidates, numerous feasibility studies, hiring police and fire chiefs and the list goes on and on. I personally do not think "Cumberland County" will be part of the new name for the arena and I heard that it is not a requirement in order to win the naming rights contract.

Back