Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

^I'm looking forward to that one as well. It will be nice to have a food-related business in the former Public Market building again too.

The Avesta project on Cumberland Avenue this evening:

T0F08UP.jpg

nCnBTYP.jpg

Any activity over at gingko blue? Perhaps a new tenant? Seems odd they would close right before
the busy summer. My guess is a lease dispute. This area will be hot now.

When I visit Portland this Summer, I will definitely be checking out this new restaurant opening sometime soon called "Slab". I guess you can call the Pizza "slab" Portland's own.

Check out the link
http://maine.eater.com/archives/2014/05/20/behindthescenes-photos-of-slab.php
I've never had his pizza, and while I hope he does well I didn't like the way the masses turned on Micucci's, a family-owned business of long standing in Portland, when they and Lanzalotta parted ways. I don't know if the "Sicilian Slab" is really "Portland's own," just because it's not really a "thing" outside of Steve Manzalotta and Micucci's (who still make it AFAIK). Personally, I'd say that the two foods that are distinctively Portland are Italian sandwiches and the burgers at Harmon's Lunch in West Falmouth, a burger style that existed uniquely in this area for many years starting with the Simpson's Hamburgers chain and progressing through several other establishments (Wasson's Grove particularly) to still thrive at Harmon's.

I really hate the "greyed-out-until-mouseover" effect on that website. I also find it notable that the floor plan specifically calls BR2 the "guest bedroom"; while in the FAQ they mention that "some people have kids," I don't think they're anticipating many families with not-grown children in their building.

Last edited:
Nice find grittys, why do we learn out more about Portland projects in the Bangor paper than we do in our own!

118 on Munjoy Hill:

6vCUVEU.jpg

zumkkT9.jpg

Any activity over at gingko blue? Perhaps a new tenant? Seems odd they would close right before
the busy summer. My guess is a lease dispute. This area will be hot now.

Per the PPH, they closed to focus on Walter's. I'm sure that space won't be vacant for too long.

Here's my ridiculously large photo in the front lobby at the newly opened Courtyard Marriott on Commercial Street. I really like this corner of the building with the large windows and all.

5PbvtzC.jpg

YShX2zX.jpg

The Hyatt down the street:

mCElMCL.jpg

Great pics, Corey. Interesting about the glass corner on the Hyatt and the glass corner on the Marriott Residence Inn. Both are such dynamic visuals but will more than likely always have curtains closed behind it. Large windows are far more compelling when you can see something through them from the outside, as in the new Hyatt bar area. (why have glass if its covered all the time?) With all the thought put into this new Hyatt, you would think they would of known that and made these corners into perhaps the guest business centers (you know, internet station, fax, copier, etc.) instead of the guests rooms. After all, who wants to be on display to the public in their bedrooms? (well, most of us don't anyway) This way, you could keep the curtains open and see through, kind of like the CIEE building at night. Oh well, the "glass" is still 90 percent full here.

Last edited:
Have you seen the latest plaza proposal by the Westin? AMAZING!! It extends the plaza surface material across Congress Street to the museum, along with eliminating the Free Street opening (which has always created a divide, anyway). Picture First Friday events with this design... I can. We should get the word out, I've already sent FB messages with this illustration to several Portland television reporters. This solution will fix Congress Square.
https://www.facebook.com/PortlandCityline/photos/a.10150199891140749.310083.89975485748/10152185482060749/?type=1&theater

Very nice, are you sure this is a Rockbridge Capital proposal? The event center looks taller and more substantial.

That new rendering looks really nice. I like the inclusion of a woonerf and eliminating the High Street to Free Street slip lane. Both of those aspects have been parts of various proposals through the years as I recall.

And because I can't post without also posting photos:

Avesta's 409 Cumberland Avenue:

zvuuvXr.jpg

mCCAphi.jpg

West End Place by Redfern Properties:

qJ9dvSn.jpg

The new Congress Square design is on the city FB site, and that's about all there is--no info other than the statement that if the referendum does not go through, "Congress Square could like this." I hate to be cynical, but I think the chances of this design happening are about on par with winning the lottery.

^Looks nice! The addition of bike lanes and not having to ride over those bumps every 50 feet will be great as well.

Not a big project but any of you seen the total makeover of the building next to the east end Otto's? Whole new glass first floor too. That is the next area to get done up, the bottom part of munjoy. I guess technically that's on the other side.

I haven't heard much about the Bayside project lately... Is this going to happen? Even though I'm not high on the design, something is needed over these unsightly scrapyards. If I had a say, I would build something like the Marina City Towers in Chicago, albeit smaller, perhaps 25 stories. This is probably the most iconic twin tower residential structure in the world, and lauded by most architects and city planners.
http://www.archdaily.com/87408/ad-classics-marina-city-bertrand-goldberg/

I haven't heard much about the Bayside project lately... Is this going to happen? Even though I'm not high on the design, something is needed over these unsightly scrapyards. If I had a say, I would build something like the Marina City Towers in Chicago, albeit smaller, perhaps 25 stories. This is probably the most iconic twin tower residential structure in the world, and lauded by most architects and city planners.
http://www.archdaily.com/87408/ad-classics-marina-city-bertrand-goldberg/

The city and developer both filed numerous motions to dismiss many of the claims made in the case as well as to dismiss Jonathan Peter Monroe as a plaintiff for what's called lack of standing. The court granted a lot of the motions and as for Monroe I believe is allowing for an amended complaint. It's still a waiting game and the meter is running.

Back