Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

Curtain wall install has begun on the State Street side of the addition

And the new hotel going it at 54 Devonshire--the render is a few posts above--is now well above ground, probably on 3rd or 4th floor now.

As a reminder, it will be a 165-room Hyatt Centric hotel, their boutique brand.

Only tower going up in downtown right now between Boston Properties' big North Station project and the Marriott hotel rising at 240 Tremont, and the Littlest Bar project at Broad & Greenway, as far as I know.

So this, Marriott Moxy, and Four Seasons will deliver another 725 hotel rooms to the urban Boston market in a year or so.... maybe dropping aggregate room rates a buck a night?!

Only tower going up in downtown right now between Boston Properties' big North Station project and the Marriott hotel rising at 240 Tremont, and the Littlest Bar project at Broad & Greenway, as far as I know.

Congress St. Garage? Or you don't consider that "going up" since they are still removing parts of the garage and haven't gone vertical yet?

Congress St. Garage? Or you don't consider that "going up" since they are still removing parts of the garage and haven't gone vertical yet?

Precisely; the latter. An arbitrary distinction perhaps... but it still seems more "real" to me once the actual structure is rising.

Here's your exclusive look at the glass going in:

2LQEyh1.jpg

I believe that pic is taken from the 10th floor of the McCormack Post Office/Courthouse. How close am I Galactic?

I believe that pic is taken from the 10th floor of the McCormack Post Office/Courthouse. How close am I Galactic?

I believe you're pretty damn close--but it seems like there are visual cues a plenty in the photo that would indicate why you're off.

1.) For starters, the slit to the left of 40 Water St. is pretty obviously Devonshire St., no?
2.) And therefore the structure on the far left is 85 Devonshire St., divided from the edge of 40 Water, right?
3.) Therefore Devonshire St. continues to bisect through the right-side of the shot, cleaving the McCormack off from... 111 Devonshire St., aka Moors & Cabot, with 7 Water St., the gorgeous Winthrop-Carter Bldg., also being a candidate but too short...

So: 111 Devonshire as best I can judge.

I believe you're pretty damn close--but it seems like there are visual cues a plenty in the photo that would indicate why you're off.

1.) For starters, the slit to the left of 40 Water St. is pretty obviously Devonshire St., no?
2.) And therefore the structure on the far left is 85 Devonshire St., divided from the edge of 40 Water, right?
3.) Therefore Devonshire St. continues to bisect through the right-side of the shot, cleaving the McCormack off from... 111 Devonshire St., aka Moors & Cabot, with 7 Water St., the gorgeous Winthrop-Carter Bldg., also being a candidate but too short...

So: 111 Devonshire as best I can judge.

My guess is 50 Milk St.

A ghost building emerges in the Financial District

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...LJ/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

By Eric Moskowitz GLOBE STAFF DECEMBER 29, 2017

(excerpt)

Some long-standing buildings are cherished because of what happened there, others because they clearly represent the work of a distinguished architect or style. The Prince Building on Devonshire Street didn’t really check either of those boxes, old but not historic.

So no one objected strongly when Fidelity demolished it in 1993 to put in a small parking lot for security vans. Only now is the Prince Building turning heads — not because of how it looked in life but because of freshly exposed traces it left behind, an eerie impression on a surviving wall it shared with a taller neighbor, a kind of death mask cast in crumbling brick.

For nearly a quarter-century, that scene lay hidden by a protective layer of what appeared to be beige plaster. When the cover was peeled back for the construction of a new hotel, it revealed what fans call a “ghost building,” laced with the fading outlines of floors and offices, the scars and cavities of chimneys and piping......

You get a glass box! And you get a glass box! And YOU get a glass box!

GLASS BOXES FOR EVERYONE ! !

39578736881_db1c5de040.jpg

Anyone else starting to wonder if this whole thing was a bad idea?

Back