Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

This was a win from the start. It just had to follow the AB curve of Excitement --> Distrust ---> Disgust ---> Resignation---> Unending Praise. Normal.

cca

Good call. Everyone seemed to be so down on this project just a couple of months ago.

I like the hotel portion. The rest? Well, I'm glad they preserved the old office buildings. That's a win.

I was skeptical at first (PTSD from the Exchange Place project). I'm now in the "like" column.

Such fine, pride inducing new woven into old.

Stunning photos from around town tonight, Beeline!

Thanks for the photos. I thought it was going to be wood under the "jewel box," so that's disappointing. But I think that's more my misinterpretation of the rendering than a bait and switch.

Thanks for the progressive zoom on the undercarriage, Beeline. My reaction went: ooh! ooh? eww.

I thought the same thing!

Thanks for the photos. I thought it was going to be wood under the "jewel box," so that's disappointing. But I think that's more my misinterpretation of the rendering than a bait and switch.

I enjoy the gold, it looks like its glass just reflecting gold from the old building's rooftop. Seems like what they were going for and I approve. Its a bit different than we are used to

Thanks for the progressive zoom on the undercarriage, Beeline. My reaction went: ooh! ooh? eww.

Tacky up close, but nobody will see this up close. It's definitely a unique effect, just hopefully not too cartoonish.

Suddenly, this is looking even more like a DS+R project, combining aspects of The Broad and Alice Tully Hall.

The undulating enamel panels are interesting. I'm guessing that wood-cladding was deemed unfeasible from a maintenance and worker-safety perspective, not just cost.

The more I look at the color and the curves on these panels, they remind me of the "NASA Corvettes" that that GM handed out to the Apollo XII astronauts.

80-091213_1b_e3c72543172031a3dcad4f3be3bddf9dac92e17d.jpg

47843406d1416943654-corvette-the-official-car-of-nasa-1969-chevrolet-astrovette-apollo-12jpg.jpg

That gold color sticks out a bit much, no? Doesn't seem to relate to its surroundings at all.

That gold color sticks out a bit much, no? Doesn't seem to relate to its surroundings at all.

No, but it draws your eye up and you wonder what is causing that gold/copper 'reflection' on a sunny day (even though further inspection you see the illusion). It also helps the addition float in the sky a bit, which is kind of a nice effect. Before, it was interesting, but felt very heavy. This reduces that a bit.

Back