Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

I agree, it's a very "quiet" architectural intervention. It's more proof that "willful otherness" rather than (value-engineered) imitation, are the best tactic to vertical additions; Hacin's FP3 is another good example.

I'm looking forward to seeing the truly finished product, but I like how the irregular shape hovers (rather than looms) over the old facade like an angular cloud. Part of me wishes that it had been somewhat taller (to the height of the Devonshire).

i was checkin' it out Sunday. Like it. Nice upgrade. Nice glass. Looks cool from all over.

Wow, just catching up and I really like this. I'm very thankful for the pictures that have been shared, too. Haven't been over that way in a while, so it is very helpful to see these photos.

Lovin the color, the windows, the upward tapering of the hotel! Another winner for this development!

I'm really loving this in person, and the skin is going up fast. Another floor higher today:

uic2uue.jpg

At this rate, the exterior could be largely finished by next week.

Precast joints usually make me die a little inside, but the the architect/builder seems to be conscious of their affect on the facade and appears to make an effort to incorporate them as an actual element of the design.

Is this coincidence or luck or are we finally learning how to appropriately adapt to contemporary building techniques? Or am I just crazy?

Precast joints usually make me die a little inside, but the the architect/builder seems to be conscious of their affect on the facade and appears to make an effort to incorporate them as an actual element of the design.

Is this coincidence or luck or are we finally learning how to appropriately adapt to contemporary building techniques? Or am I just crazy?

You are not crazy but you are also not exactly right. Good designers can always make these elements come together well when they have the will and the resources. No architect of a building of this complexity lacks the skills to detail well. Sometimes they are pressured to "care less" for the sake of time and bottom line of their clients schedule/budget.

What this should tell you is that the owner and designer and builder were all on the same page and executed well together. Good job.

cca

Skin is pretty damn close to the top on this one. Big crowd watching this today:
CcGsQ66.jpg

Great facade. :)

What a refreshing & nice surprise this project has become!

i was stuck on a plane yesterday and only saw your post, but couldn't see the details.

This is fantastic!

Last edited:
Looks like I was there a bit after you yesterday:

27278602687_ef01e754b9_b.jpg

40342829290_eab9109f25_h.jpg

41248584315_27152ea1a1_h.jpg

Pics are a bit dim but it looks pretty nice in person.

Looks like I was there a bit after you yesterday:

Pics are a bit dim but it looks pretty nice in person.

Yeah, I was there around 1:30 - looks like they had that piece of the facade secure by the time you got there. It really does look great in person. I would imagine that by tomorrow or Friday the exterior will be complete (well, aside from maybe the ground level) at the rate they're going.

I love everything about this project, but I really want to see what they have in store for Quaker Lane itself. It has the potential to be such a unique urban space, but I'm worried it'll be wasted as loading dock access.

This is a rare (only case in Boston?) where I enjoy the offset windows. Very cool.

Maybe because there's actually some elegance in form and a pleasing pattern, rather than randomness for the sake of itself.

Wow, really great stuff from Arrowstreet!

Its rare (because of their client base) but good designers (which they are) can do good work when approaches agree. That is the key to really good work. Try it sometime, you will love it.

cca

I know one of the architects on this. I’ve already mentioned how well this one has turned out.

Back